HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 19, 2012, 01:59 PM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,010 Posts
Daemon, why did you choose your user name?
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2012, 02:25 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,488 Posts
Originally some loose reference to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemon_%28computing%29
as I was a bit of a unix guy,
and that's actually related to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemon_...l_mythology%29
Note, neither have negative connotations although most don't know that.

ian
Daemon is offline Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:01 PM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Originally some loose reference to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemon_%28computing%29
and that's actually related to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemon_...l_mythology%29

ian
A Daemon in Linux is just a worker process. I think Ian is a bot.

Taking my Rangelink for it's maiden tomorrow... wish me luck.
heinduplessis is offline Find More Posts by heinduplessis
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:33 AM
Germany
Joined Mar 2011
58 Posts
when will the rangelink set be back in stock?
x4FF3 is offline Find More Posts by x4FF3
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:55 AM
Expat
Japan
Joined Apr 2010
3,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post

ian
Ah thanks. Was aware of the latter, not the former.
TheNiceGuy is offline Find More Posts by TheNiceGuy
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:30 AM
Norway, Troms, Skjervoy
Joined Jul 2012
767 Posts
how do i correct hook up the fatsharks with my rangelink. tryed googeling but no answer. is it just the red cable to Tppm and black to ground when i cut the cable?

Bjorn
bjornthans is offline Find More Posts by bjornthans
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: mission ready t960
Old Oct 22, 2012, 09:34 AM
United States, FL, Marco Island
Joined Jan 2007
661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjornthans View Post
how do i correct hook up the fatsharks with my rangelink. tryed googeling but no answer. is it just the red cable to Tppm and black to ground when i cut the cable?

Bjorn
Heres the RL info don't know the FS HT data.
HTPort
TPPM Headertrackersignalinput(LEVEL3.3v-12v).
PPM R/CRadioPPMSignaloutput.(InternaldirectlyconnecttoR/CportPPMpin)
V+ Powersourceforheadertracker.(Internaldirectlyconne cttoR/CportV+pin)
GND Power/SignalGround.
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=867fb...5B7EF611%21112
picard10th is offline Find More Posts by picard10th
Old Oct 23, 2012, 03:47 AM
Norway, Troms, Skjervoy
Joined Jul 2012
767 Posts
did not really help me so much. i need to know how to connect and solder the wires. tried looking around again but still nothing. but thanx:-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by picard10th View Post
Heres the RL info don't know the FS HT data.
HTPort
TPPM Headertrackersignalinput(LEVEL3.3v-12v).
PPM R/CRadioPPMSignaloutput.(InternaldirectlyconnecttoR/CportPPMpin)
V+ Powersourceforheadertracker.(Internaldirectlyconne cttoR/CportV+pin)
GND Power/SignalGround.
https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=867fb...5B7EF611%21112
bjornthans is offline Find More Posts by bjornthans
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: mission ready t960
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:57 PM
New Zealand, Auckland, Waiau Pa
Joined Dec 2006
668 Posts
I am going to do a hot swappable system to change between the 2.4g and UHF, are there any issues regarding the 2.4g tx aerial soaking in some radiation when using the uhf? Of course I will put the 2.4g sideways when using the uhf.
doonunder is offline Find More Posts by doonunder
Old Oct 23, 2012, 04:59 PM
Power-line attraction pilot
United States, MA, Natick
Joined Jun 2011
517 Posts
Can I wire this system per headphone jack directly to the turnigy 9x trainer port?
caall99 is offline Find More Posts by caall99
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:05 PM
Joined Dec 2006
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caall99 View Post
Can I wire this system per headphone jack directly to the turnigy 9x trainer port?
I am in the same position as you and I think the answer is yes and no, yes you can receive ppm through the trainer port but not power, also not sure how you get ppm through there without taking module out, so my idea is to pull module out and have it velcroed to the battery cover below (my tx aerial is hard wired to module) and make up a plug to connect into the tx module pins.

This also allows using the tx with my 2.4g receivers when not doing FPV.

Maybe the wrong approach? Happy to hear opinions.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:10 PM
Power-line attraction pilot
United States, MA, Natick
Joined Jun 2011
517 Posts
well i have already done the resistor mod in the stock turnigy 2.4ghz module so that i may receive PPM out through the trainer port for simulator purposes. i would think given that i did the mod in the module and not the turnigy transmitter itself, that i would have to keep the 2.4ghz module in the radio for me to get PPM out through the trainer port. this leads me to wonder if its such a great idea to keep the 2.4ghz module in the turnigy radio, simultaneously transmitting 2.4ghz with my RL UHF transmitter (not sure if this is even possible).

lets say the mod was performed on the turnigy 9x radio itself, would i then not be able to get PPM out through the trainer port to send to my RL UHF transmitter, and likewise be able to remove the turnigy 2.4ghz module all together?

i would rather not destroy my stock turnigy 2.4ghx module just to have a clean RL UHF installation, unless of course i can find a 2nd turnigy 2.4ghz module to hack up...

hmmm... anyone?
caall99 is offline Find More Posts by caall99
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:37 PM
Joined Apr 2008
299 Posts
On Sunday my fpv plane took off for a fun flight above the fog. I did a pre-flight check and all controls were responding as normal. After about 200 meters the plane lost connection to the transmitter which was a Dx8 with a rangelink and flew off at 8.5 A. Both the Tx and Rx are only a few weeks old. The plane basically flew till the battery was exhausted and ended up at 2200 feet high and 22,000 feet away when it finally glided down and crashed. Luckily it had a GPS locator on board so after a 30 minute drive I got it back. The failsafe is set at 0% throttle, so I could not understand why it flew off at 8.5 amps ? Clearly even if it had lost connection it should have defaulted to the failsafe which it did not do. I put a fresh pack in and tested the failsafe, and it was working fine and would cut the power when I disconnected the rangelink. After checking the antenna, I flew it LOS about 300 meters away and everything was fine. Then after much deliberation I put a new pack in and flew it 2km out, and all was fine.

Previously this UHF kit had flown out 4Km no problem, so I considered it properly tested.

I have just spent the last 30 minutes trying to recreate the problem on my bench. but could not. I am no FPV newbie, and this is my second UHF set (I used to have the original chainlink). Now my original chainlink used to have a dodgy failsafe, and if you kept swapping packs it would give half throttle instead of hitting the failsafe. I know Sid improved the Rx software for this very problem with the Chainlink system. Has anyone else had this problem, and had a fly-away rangelink plane?

Its worth saying I don't monitor RSSI, and no I don't think this is an antenna problem. The whole Rangelink kit is only a few weeks old, and was on back order so I assume I have the latest Rx software.
thecrawfords67 is offline Find More Posts by thecrawfords67
Old Oct 23, 2012, 06:18 PM
Joined Dec 2006
668 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caall99 View Post

lets say the mod was performed on the turnigy 9x radio itself, would i then not be able to get PPM out through the trainer port to send to my RL UHF transmitter, and likewise be able to remove the turnigy 2.4ghz module all together?

i would rather not destroy my stock turnigy 2.4ghx module just to have a clean RL UHF installation, unless of course i can find a 2nd turnigy 2.4ghz module to hack up...

hmmm... anyone?
Answering this part of your post, the idea people do the resistor mod inside the tx is so they can use the tx for sim use without unplugging the module all the time, ie unplugging the module sends the ppm signal through the trainer port, so if your discarding the module you don't need to do any mod to the tx at all.

Just need clarification on the power issue though.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:58 AM
Crash=start of next project
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2010
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doonunder View Post
Answering this part of your post, the idea people do the resistor mod inside the tx is so they can use the tx for sim use without unplugging the module all the time, ie unplugging the module sends the ppm signal through the trainer port, so if your discarding the module you don't need to do any mod to the tx at all.

Just need clarification on the power issue though.
There is a ton of info on this subject and everything else you want to know about 9X. Search Turnigy 9X and er9X. You can search posts by Markus123456 too. He is quite an expert on the 9X. I run my RL from the module pins and use the 9X battery which has been upgraded to a LiPo. The whole set up will run for over 3 hours on that battery. You can also go to the king of 9X forums, http://9xforums.com/forum/index.php?...c34b815c5c9568 Btw, I don't believe you need a pull up resistor if you have a new RL Tx. Sid took care of this with a circuit change on the later Tx's.
Best,
Steven
CN I Dawg is offline Find More Posts by CN I Dawg
Last edited by CN I Dawg; Oct 25, 2012 at 07:34 AM.