HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:08 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArnhemAnt View Post
Thanks. I didn't even consider doing something like that. I don't know much about the turnigy radios but am keen to look into this. Any reason you mention them over other brands??
The bang for the buck you get with them is incredible. You must install the Er9x "open" software though, and this "openness" read, the comunity developping the firmware for this radio is what makes it such a great deal.

There is a thread about this, but you easiest get information if you simply search for Er9x in google. That firmware puts power into this $50 radio that makes many big brand radios look really old.

Markus
markus123456 is online now Find More Posts by markus123456
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:23 AM
Joined Jan 2011
415 Posts
I'll second the 9x advice, it's a cheaply built radio but if you value functionality over all, it's the winner

check out www.9xforums.com
npre is offline Find More Posts by npre
Old Sep 27, 2012, 02:05 AM
That's falling with style!
Australia, VIC, Bentleigh
Joined Apr 2008
375 Posts
Quote:
I am aware that I can connect this directly to my trainer port on the TX but I have also heard that this connection is not the 'best' as it may come loose while flying. I also believe that the unit will need separate power when connected this way.
I also agree with the suggestion to look at the Turnigy 9X option…. even though I don’t own one, I have been very tempted by them, it’s just that I already have 2 Dx6i’s and a Dx7… and I have a wife that looks at me with a raised eyebrow and that “Are you crazy” look….

If you use a good 3.5mm mono audio plug you will have no problem with the PPM output on the Dx6i (SID supplies a good one) The new RL gear now handles the low PPM power on the Spektrum… The only hassle you will have is getting power to the RL TX. The Dx6i only uses 4xAA so In my opinion that’s not enough for both the Dx6i and the RL TX… you will need a separate battery for the RL TX…. which just means more stuff to carry around and charge etc. etc.

I use my RL on my Dx7, but I added my own 3.5mm Stereo socket and plug that carries the Power and PPM signal from the Dx7 to the RL TX, similar to the link you provided.

It’s better than the Dx6i option but not as good as the Turnigy 9X.
RowdyRod is offline Find More Posts by RowdyRod
Old Sep 27, 2012, 03:25 AM
Registered FPVer :)
Switzerland, LU, Buchrain
Joined Aug 2006
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyRod View Post
and I have a wife that looks at me with a raised eyebrow and that “Are you crazy” look….
Sigh.... I know sooo well what you mean....

Markus
markus123456 is online now Find More Posts by markus123456
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:15 AM
Joined Mar 2012
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyRod View Post
The Dx6i only uses 4xAA so In my opinion that’s not enough for both the Dx6i and the RL TX… you will need a separate battery for the RL TX…. which just means more stuff to carry around and charge etc. etc.
Thanks for this. By the sounds of it, I can get away with using my current DX6i??
What do you suggest for connecting power to the RL if I can't use the power from the DX6i?
ArnhemAnt is offline Find More Posts by ArnhemAnt
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:06 AM
Australia, WA
Joined Oct 2011
555 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for this. By the sounds of it, I can get away with using my current DX6i??
What do you suggest for connecting power to the RL if I can't use the power from the DX6i?
Just tape a 3s 800mah to your radio, nice and small and lots of power
Locko is offline Find More Posts by Locko
Old Sep 27, 2012, 06:22 PM
Joined Apr 2008
375 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locko View Post
Just tape a 3s 800mah to your radio, nice and small and lots of power
I agree, a cheap 3s 800mAh LiPo will do the job.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:28 PM
Joined Mar 2012
34 Posts
Cool, thanx for this.

Would a 4s be too much??
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:14 PM
Joined Apr 2008
375 Posts
Quote:
Cool, thanx for this.

Would a 4s be too much??
Yes the TX is rated 9-13V. A 4s nominal voltage is 14.8 but fully charged can be upto 16.8V.... I suspect SID would not recommend it.

Stick with a 3s
Old Sep 27, 2012, 10:42 PM
Joined Mar 2012
34 Posts
Cool. Thanks.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:50 PM
GRAVITY SUCKS
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Apr 2010
31 Posts
Hi Guys

Trying to get back into the FPV hobby after a few years off. have anybody sucseffully managed to mate the Rangelink system to the new Walkera Devo 12s transmitter?
johann123 is offline Find More Posts by johann123
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:34 PM
Lakewood, Colorado
Joined Aug 2002
28,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johann123 View Post
Hi Guys

Trying to get back into the FPV hobby after a few years off. have anybody sucseffully managed to mate the Rangelink system to the new Walkera Devo 12s transmitter?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...9#post22667498
Daemon is online now Find More Posts by Daemon
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:13 AM
GRAVITY SUCKS
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Apr 2010
31 Posts
Deamon

Thanks Mate. I had a look at that thread also, and I saw the comment about the connection via the trainer port. I thought someone might have figured out the PPM pin inside the transmitter already, as I want to keep my trainer port open for PCTX ..........
johann123 is offline Find More Posts by johann123
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:59 PM
Valencia - Spain
Joined Sep 2004
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
Has someone tried this on RL?
xscorp is offline Find More Posts by xscorp
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:30 AM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Sep 2011
669 Posts
Just until now I got to test out my RangeLink TX/RX. One thing puzzles me though, it seems that the RX has no failsafe feature?? In my case I want to set it up so that if RC signal is lost autopilot RTH function is enabled.

I could do that easily with a cheaper Spektrum receiver but it seems I can't with RL?? All I could get with RC signal lost was for all channels to stay as is. I know I have RSSI signal and can also switch to high power however RSSI is not 100% reliable in all situations for RC control (noise for example) and I might be flying in high power already when I loose signal. What if I fly so that a big object is in the fresnel zone? My TX battery can also die without me noticing it (of course we all check but worst things have happened). To me having the RX failsafe is an important feature. Any ideas anyone?
Castel101 is online now Find More Posts by Castel101