SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:45 AM
Chinglish-funny
Joined Mar 2011
788 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antboy6969 View Post
just wondering is the tppm suppose to override the ppm signal when headtracker is plugged in?
yes,override ch7/ch8.

Quote:
because i still have full control of channel 7/8 (which i use to move pan and tilt using the knobs on the tx. so when ht is plugged in it overrides the ppm signals on 7/8 that are comeing from the radio ?
yes, set pan/tilt to ch7/ch8 on the headtracker. and then try it. i will do some research...

BTW, the HT port signal map to the futaba trainer port as follow:

tppm = 6 signal in
ppm = 3 signal out
V+ = 5 +V Switched
GND = 2 GROUND

futaba trainer port define:
http://users.belgacom.net/TX2TX/tx2t...h/tx2txgb3.htm

Sid
sid.huang is offline Find More Posts by sid.huang
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:02 AM
Joined Jan 2012
68 Posts
Thanks sid your a champ . I cannot use the trainer port for ht because im allready using it for rangelink and i have set the mode on fatshark headtracker to output ppm signal to channels 7/8 but still nothinh. Would you be able to contact fatshark about it for more info as it could be way better than me contactimg them as you know more about rangelink
antboy6969 is offline Find More Posts by antboy6969
Old Aug 20, 2012, 10:58 AM
Crash=start of next project
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2010
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brifa View Post
Grazie Steven,
Things what i did:
Disconnected all stuff
Did a ground test using different antennas on tx and rx
9 meters and signal goes off.
Let me know what to do. Thank you.
I had asked before if you have any reason to suspect an increased RF noise floor in your general vicinity. For example, a Ham operator or radio station or cell tower or repeater link?
If you have a VOM you can measure RL Rx center pin on PCB to Antenna active element to make sure you have continuity. Same for ground.
I assume you were in micro-mode? If so, have you tried range at normal power setting? If all these tests bear out and range is still poor, I would call it a day and send back to Sid for repair/replacement.
Best,
Steven
CN I Dawg is offline Find More Posts by CN I Dawg
Old Aug 20, 2012, 12:14 PM
ITALY
Joined Aug 2006
418 Posts
Thanks Steven,
sorry for late reply
i tried in several fields and the result is the same,
i don't have a VOM. In normal power i get 1000 meters. Sid doesn't reply to my emails and message.
i don't know why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CN I Dawg View Post
I had asked before if you have any reason to suspect an increased RF noise floor in your general vicinity. For example, a Ham operator or radio station or cell tower or repeater link?
If you have a VOM you can measure RL Rx center pin on PCB to Antenna active element to make sure you have continuity. Same for ground.
I assume you were in micro-mode? If so, have you tried range at normal power setting? If all these tests bear out and range is still poor, I would call it a day and send back to Sid for repair/replacement.
Best,
Steven
brifa is offline Find More Posts by brifa
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:21 PM
Chinglish-funny
Joined Mar 2011
788 Posts
Quote:
Thanks sid your a champ . I cannot use the trainer port for ht because im allready using it for rangelink and i have set the mode on fatshark headtracker to output ppm signal to channels 7/8 but still nothinh. Would you be able to contact fatshark about it for more info as it could be way better than me contactimg them as you know more about rangelink
Sorry,I mean that you just think of the rangelink tx ht port as futaba radio trainer port.

Did you had try directly connect to futaba trainer port,make them work fine with together? the pan and tilt on ch7/ch8?

Sid
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:35 PM
Joined Jul 2012
413 Posts
What are you guys getting on ground tests with the 0.1mw mode? Just trying to figure out what is normal.
snelan is offline Find More Posts by snelan
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Jan 2012
68 Posts
Yeah sid the fatshark headtracker works perfectly when plugged straight into the trainerport on the tx .
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:32 PM
Chinglish-funny
Joined Mar 2011
788 Posts
Quote:
Yeah sid the fatshark headtracker works perfectly when plugged straight into the trainerport on the tx .
if you confirmed that rl ht port works fine,i think that is poor connection or incorrect...

Sid
Old Aug 21, 2012, 07:34 AM
Joined Jan 2012
68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid.huang View Post
8ch radio,that pan and tilt at ch7/ch8.

Just make sure the HT port works fine or not,

1.make rl works at normal mode(high power or low power mode).
(put a servo on the ch7,and check it you can get smooth control).
2.the TPPM wire connect to the PPM wire, just wait about 1sec,and then disconnect.
3.if the ch7 do Not works,so that ht port works fine.

Sid
ok i think i did this wronge sid or anyone can you please explain this in a little bit of detail
Old Aug 21, 2012, 08:34 AM
Crash=start of next project
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Nov 2010
808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brifa View Post
Thanks Steven,
sorry for late reply
i tried in several fields and the result is the same,
i don't have a VOM. In normal power i get 1000 meters. Sid doesn't reply to my emails and message.
i don't know why.
Sid usually replies. Send him PM and email and Forum to ask for RMA.
That's all I can suggest at this point. As always, being polite goes a long way, on both ends, to getting an acceptable resolution.
Best,
Steven
CN I Dawg is offline Find More Posts by CN I Dawg
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:53 PM
United States, CA, Santa Monica
Joined Jul 2011
498 Posts
Hey guys- a little advice here would be nice. I want to have my antenna out back in the tail section but my Rx in the nose section (where there's more canopy space). Is there a specific length of the antenna that has to stick up? I will be planning on using a drinking straw to hold up the antenna- how should I go about doing this?

Thanks
Lpbug is offline Find More Posts by Lpbug
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:08 AM
Joined Jan 2012
68 Posts
ahhh iv tried.... Headtracker just does not seem to a work and i have come to terms that the fatshark ht just does not work with rangelink. im just gonna assign some knobs for pan and tilt.
thanks sid atleast you tried.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:26 AM
That's falling with style!
Australia, VIC, Bentleigh
Joined Apr 2008
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lpbug View Post
Hey guys- a little advice here would be nice. I want to have my antenna out back in the tail section but my Rx in the nose section (where there's more canopy space). Is there a specific length of the antenna that has to stick up? I will be planning on using a drinking straw to hold up the antenna- how should I go about doing this?

Thanks
Typed up a nice response only to have my browser crash

Here goes, 2nd attempt....

I'm just setting up my Rangelink, just got it a week ago, Thanks Sid nice unit!!

The antenna supplied with the Rangelink RX is a Half-Wave Dipole Antenna, mine has a coax feed of about 20 cm or 8 inches. The active elements in a Dipole should be parallel and collinear e.g. they should be in a straight line with the coax feed at right angles or perpendicular to the elements, it should look like a "T" lying on it's side. The active elements should be vertical. For UHF each element is about 16 cm (I cant remember the exact length)

So in answer to your question, the element of the antenna should stick up all the way (about 16 cm), the bottom one can hang freely below. It's better to fix the bottom one as well, but that's not always practical.

So if your antenna is like mine your Rx can only be a maximum of 20 cm away from the elements unless you use an extension (not ideal as it can cause losses) or you make your own which in the case of a dipole is very easy.

I will try and upload a pic later

Cheers Rod.
RowdyRod is offline Find More Posts by RowdyRod
Last edited by RowdyRod; Aug 22, 2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 07:30 AM
United States, OR, Medford
Joined Nov 2011
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowdyRod View Post
Typed up a nice response only to have my browser crash

Here goes, 2nd attempt....

I'm just setting up my Rangelink, just got it a week ago, Thanks Sid nice unit!!

The antenna supplied with the Rangelink RX is a Half-Wave Dipole Antenna, mine has a coax feed of about 20 cm or 8 inches. The active elements in a Dipole should be parallel and collinear e.g. they should be in a straight line with the coax feed at right angles or perpendicular to the elements, it should look like a "T" lying on it's side. The active elements should be vertical. For UHF each element is about 16 cm (I cant remember the exact length)

So in answer to your question, the element of the antenna should stick up all the way (about 16 cm), the bottom one can hang freely below. It's better to fix the bottom one as well, but that's not always practical.

So if your antenna is like mine your Rx can only be a maximum of 20 cm away from the elements unless you use an extension (not ideal as it can cause losses) or you make your own which in the case of a dipole is very easy.

I will try and upload a pic later

Cheers Rod.
I have mine just like that but in the wing, so there for it wont touch the ground
N485TG is offline Find More Posts by N485TG
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:17 AM
Joined Jul 2012
413 Posts
I made a 1/2 wave dipole (6.35" on both sides I believe) but used a 70mm length of RG174 coax. Will this cause noticeable losses?
snelan is offline Find More Posts by snelan