HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 07, 2012, 03:06 PM
Joined Jan 2004
245 Posts
G'day All

i have followed, I think, labrown, posting.

Below is the error I get.

Error running gpsbabel: Process exited unsucessfully with code 1

Canmore gt-730fl-s

Can any one help Much appreciated.

John Q
Aussie John is offline Find More Posts by Aussie John
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2012, 07:58 PM
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
5,564 Posts
I am traveling but make sure your drivers are installed, the correct Com port is selected and that the Canmore is turned on before selecting start/go/apply or whatever the button says.

Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2012, 05:45 AM
Joined Jan 2004
245 Posts
Thank you Cirtus for taking the time to respond to my question.

I have successfully down loaded the file from my GPS

The sequence was the clue.

The next step is to learn to display it on a map.

I sure as a beginner i will have more questions.

Once again thanks to you and the other contributors who take the time to respond to this forum.

John Q
Old Apr 11, 2012, 04:46 AM
Joined Jan 2004
245 Posts
GPS to maps

Hi All

ME again. Is there a tutorial on how to get from a GPS logger to Google maps.

I see many screen shots of some very interesting flying but I have no clue as to how to do it.

I have down loaded Google maps.

What is the next step. I have also been able to down load the GPS file. See above.

I know this may be second nature to some but I am on my own.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers John Q
Old May 22, 2012, 05:22 PM
There's Something in the Air
United States, NH, Hillsborough
Joined Jul 2005
265 Posts
I went looking for the i-Blue 860E unit today and they seem to be discontinued.

What about the Eagle Tree data recorders? Can the data they collect be transformed into IGS format?

The Canmore GT-730FL-S USB Tracker Stick Data Logger GPS seems to still be available. i might go this route since this will be a backup onboard GPS unit to my SkyTrace.

Take care,
John
Ne-Aero is offline Find More Posts by Ne-Aero
Old May 22, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Jan 2005
268 Posts
John

I looked at amazon and they have the Canmore GT-730FL-S USB Tracker Stick Data Logger for $49. The specs say the logs can be exported as a GPX file. This type of file is easily converted to an IGC file. It also uses the Photo Tagger software which is the same software that the I-blue 860e uses. It holds 265,000 data points which is much more than the I-blue 860 and the battery lasts 18 hours. Looks even better than the I-blue 860 and should be compatible with Winscore.
XC soaringpilot is offline Find More Posts by XC soaringpilot
Old May 22, 2012, 11:21 PM
There's Something in the Air
United States, NH, Hillsborough
Joined Jul 2005
265 Posts
Here's the link I found at Sears (of all places) for the same data logger for $38

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...30702P?prdNo=5

Once it is output in GPX format GPSBabel will handle the conversion. I just don't want my XC ship to start Geocaching while on the flight course ;-P

John

Update: It is out of stock at Sears and the vendor they get it from.
Ne-Aero is offline Find More Posts by Ne-Aero
Last edited by Ne-Aero; May 22, 2012 at 11:48 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 05:28 AM
Joined Jan 2004
245 Posts
Hi All

Curtis has compiled a manual on using the CANmore gt-730fl-s.

Question: is www.sourceforge.net/projects/gpxeditor compatable with win7?

My XP system is mucking up and I cant make Chapter 2 of Curtis book work on my WIN7 laptop.

Thanks John Q
Old Jun 12, 2012, 10:57 AM
United States, MD, Rockville
Joined Nov 2000
271 Posts
Not a X country plane but I use the Canmore GT-730FL-S $36 on ebay on my electric sailplanes

My setup here

Works great even able to track 3 sats iniside my house. Dont use the tracking software on the disck its useless, but DL Photo Tagger from the Canmore site and use the security code on the 3" CD package.
CFrench is offline Find More Posts by CFrench
Last edited by CFrench; Jun 12, 2012 at 11:02 AM.
Old Jul 06, 2012, 05:42 PM
Joined Jan 2004
245 Posts
Canmore Logger

Hi All

Thanks to Curtis for the notes to use the Canmore 7600fls. They have been a big help.

I have it reliably down loading to one of my laptops.

I have been testing it by logging my trips to work.

Now I am waiting for the rain to clear and do some flying with it. To learn more about how to use the information. It is nice to be able to log my flight and mull over them at home.

I had many problems getting this thing going.

I was given an old COMPAQ XP laptop. I upgraded it to SP3 to try to overcome potential problems.

It is important to plug the logger powered up into the Lap top and then power up the lap top.

Start GPSBABEL and it will down load.

BUT ONLY ONCE.

To test this I simulate flying by leaving BABEL running and sw off the GPS unplug it and reverse the process.

BABEL will not read the GPS.

When using the new laptop with WIN7. It is important to boot the lap top with the GPS turned on and plugged into a USB port and let Windows find the GPS and allocate a COMport.

This is then seen by BABEL

The I can use GPSBABEL down load the GPS. I can sw off the gps and un plug it

Plug it back in turn it on and down load the GPS. To prove it it is working I can save the same data to a new file.

This to me, proves that the software is not seeing the same data and deciding a down load is not necessary.

On the EAGLETREE forum there is quite an interesting discussion re the incompatibility of software to the various chips that are used for USB.

I once worked fixing logic boards ( before ZILOG and other microprocessors) to chip level so what this fellow was saying read quite plausible.

Anothere example is the 555timer. The functional block diagram has not changed in umteen years but the internal circuit has changed. Even from Manufacturer.

Are there any clues as to why my Canmore will not work correctly on WIN XP SP3? .

I am sure others may have problems.. I would like to use the "OLD" lap top in the field and keep my new one for in house use.

Kind regards to all. John Q
Old Jul 08, 2012, 08:03 PM
Joined Jan 2004
245 Posts
More info required

Hi Curtis and others

Went flying yesterday and logged 6 flights with my canmore.

Today I am off work with a cold so I am spending the time to learn how to use my Canmore system.

I thought I had this sorted I have run into a problem.

I seem to be missing some of the basics, so I have some questions:

Is it necessary to press the button after each flight to set a marker?

Is it then necessary to press the button to start the next flight?

The on/off switch is difficult to get to in my current installation but I have a hole in the top of the wooden canopy to provide access for the GPS "eye"and button.

Is there any one in Australia reading this thread who is using the Canmore logger?

Cheers John Quigley
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:58 PM
Joined Nov 2000
271 Posts
John I got mine up and running by reading the Amazon.com reviews of the canmore unit. Lots of good information there.

You have to configure your Data logger for continuous logging, once you turn it on it sarts logging points. Its normally set up for photo tagging, you take a picture press the button. I use the Photo Tagger software downloaded from the from Canmore site to do this. With PT you can also set the frequency it grabs a GPS point, I have mine set for 1 second. I was never able to use any of the software on the disk, at least for what I wanted it for. But the software key for Photo Tagger is on the little 3" CD package, you will need that.

BTW with Photo tagger to map your flight you need an Internet connection to use the map functions because it pulls the map information from google maps.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 04:37 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2011
111 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrench View Post
John I got mine up and running by reading the Amazon.com reviews of the canmore unit. Lots of good information there.

You have to configure your Data logger for continuous logging, once you turn it on it sarts logging points. Its normally set up for photo tagging, you take a picture press the button. I use the Photo Tagger software downloaded from the from Canmore site to do this. With PT you can also set the frequency it grabs a GPS point, I have mine set for 1 second. I was never able to use any of the software on the disk, at least for what I wanted it for. But the software key for Photo Tagger is on the little 3" CD package, you will need that.

BTW with Photo tagger to map your flight you need an Internet connection to use the map functions because it pulls the map information from google maps.
could you please show us the link? thanks

dhyayi is offline Find More Posts by dhyayi
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 11, 2012, 06:22 AM
Joined Jan 2004
245 Posts
G'day folks

I think I am trying to do something that GPX Editor will not achieve.

I thought I should be able to split say 3 flights into 3 separate files.

So is there some some software that would split the data into the required number of flight.

Cheers John Quigley
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:47 PM
Joined Nov 2000
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhyayi View Post
could you please show us the link? thanks

http://www.amazon.com/Canmore-GT-730.../dp/B002UWKUZQ