HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:09 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,880 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
Ya... might have to throw my DL on there one day... 4kW DL Mike could just throw RX's in planes and launch them from his place gonna need more batteries!

Chris
With a 4 KiloWatt Dragon Link and a directional antenna, we could Drive around an FPV car on the moon

Mike
JettPilot is online now Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:28 PM
New Zealand, Tasman, Kahurangi National Park
Joined Oct 2012
52 Posts
Mike, this question has nothing to do with previous posts. I have PM you but will ask the same question of you that I have posted in another part of this forum. Maybe some others can help as well.
I have ordered the DL from you and waiting for arrival. I am setting up a quad with DJI Naza and DL to my existing JRXP8103 radio, Do I set the Tx to PPM mode. If so then this radio does not support failsafe settings in PPM.
I am new to all this and do not have local assistance here so am relying totally on you and other generous forum members
Noah58 is offline Find More Posts by Noah58
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:39 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,663 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah58 View Post
Mike, this question has nothing to do with previous posts. I have PM you but will ask the same question of you that I have posted in another part of this forum. Maybe some others can help as well.
I have ordered the DL from you and waiting for arrival. I am setting up a quad with DJI Naza and DL to my existing JRXP8103 radio, Do I set the Tx to PPM mode. If so then this radio does not support failsafe settings in PPM.
I am new to all this and do not have local assistance here so am relying totally on you and other generous forum members
Yes, set to ppm and the DL has failsafe. It's the red button on the DL tx. The DL works well with the naza.
Buffythesaint is offline Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
Old Nov 09, 2012, 07:58 PM
United States, CT
Joined Oct 2012
646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
I do not like using Double AA batteries That Dragon Link uses the same amount of power as a standard 72 MHZ RC module, but the cost of Double AA batteries gets high, and they never last long in any radio. The best thing to do is get yourself a 3 cell lipo, and power your Dragon LInk transmitter only with the LIPO. It will save you money in the long run. Do not power your RC radio like this, it will likely burn it up.

Mike
Thanks for the info. I didn't know you can power the Dragon Link transmitter directly, does it come with the cable to do this? What kind of connector does it have?

Thanks
TimeTrave1er is offline Find More Posts by TimeTrave1er
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:45 PM
Joined Nov 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
That is not normal; the blue LED turns off when link is lost... after a second or so with lost link, it will enter failsafe. Try calibrating again.

I found this same behavior on the new replacement system I received yesterday; flashing blue after binding. After calibrating (for 45min) the blue LED stays lit during normal operation, even with the Rx 50' away with antenna removed. Actually, my first (early V2) DL system did the same thing until I changed UID, bound, and recalibrated. As a matter of routine, I changed my UID before doing anything to my new DL.

Kev

ps... Mike, I received my replacement system yesterday. It's bound, calibrated, and installed. So far everything looks good to go on the range test and flights in my backyard. Weather has not been jibing well with my schedule, but I am aching to get out and test it ASAP. Will report back...
I've been reading through the posts and trying to figure this out but I'm just not quite getting it. The transmitter seems to be doing what it's supposed to do. I get a steady green light when I turn it on. It'll cycle through the led sequences from the manual just fine. But whether I try to calibrate or bind the Rx the green status and blue link led flashes and nothing really seems to happen. I tried to let it calibrate for about half an hour but still the same. Someone says that means it's in "micropower" mode? I did at first try to bind it according to the information on the website. Does that have something to do with it? I found the manual after realizing that doesn't work but is that why the leds on the Rx continue to flash? Or is it something else entirely? I'm at a bit of a loss. I'm kind of new to this so I'm sure it's something really simple and obvious that hopefully one of you nice people can help me with.
CrystalBat808 is offline Find More Posts by CrystalBat808
Old Nov 09, 2012, 08:46 PM
Rotor Addict
United States, VA, Leesburg
Joined Dec 2008
567 Posts
Quote:
Yes, it shipped within 24 hours on Thursday, we just did not get the latest tracking numbers into the system yet. We will tonight. If you are in the USA, it will arrive tomorrow or Monday.

Mike
Awesome, it should be here before I head out of town then. Thanks for the great support!
naryan is offline Find More Posts by naryan
Old Nov 09, 2012, 09:03 PM
United States, WI, Menomonee Falls
Joined Dec 2009
94 Posts
Quote:
Hi,

Read my post above, most of the time problems are in the plane itself... Its always easier to solve a problem in the plane than to mail new Dragon Link systems back and fourth, and still have the same problem

Also, make sure you have:

Calibrated your system,

Change UNIT ID

Rebind.

In that order....

If you do have a problem with your system, I will replace it right away. Let us know what you find.

Mike
Hi Mike,
Followed your instructions to problem shoot - I still have intermittent loss of signal to RX. Here's a quick video to summarize the situation and show signal loss. I am NOT in micro power mode - light on DL transmitter is a solid green. I did not have the antenna on the RX during the video but the results with the blue light going off is the same when the antenna is on the RX. Please advise on what I should do next.

Dragon Link (1 min 5 sec)

Thank you,
Josh
jdwphotos.com is offline Find More Posts by jdwphotos.com
Last edited by jdwphotos.com; Nov 09, 2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:13 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,532 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalBat808 View Post
I've been reading through the posts and trying to figure this out but I'm just not quite getting it. The transmitter seems to be doing what it's supposed to do. I get a steady green light when I turn it on. It'll cycle through the led sequences from the manual just fine. But whether I try to calibrate or bind the Rx the green status and blue link led flashes and nothing really seems to happen. I tried to let it calibrate for about half an hour but still the same. Someone says that means it's in "micropower" mode? I did at first try to bind it according to the information on the website. Does that have something to do with it? I found the manual after realizing that doesn't work but is that why the leds on the Rx continue to flash? Or is it something else entirely? I'm at a bit of a loss. I'm kind of new to this so I'm sure it's something really simple and obvious that hopefully one of you nice people can help me with.
The Rx has no idea of knowing if the Tx is transmitting in micropower mode or not; the Tx basically whispers the same signal that it shouts during normal operation. The latest tx firmware flashes yellow (on the Tx) while it is in bind mode; if you release the button too early you may end up in micro power mode, and the Tx will be flashing green instead... too late and you'll be in calibration mode (red/green alternating).

The latest manual contains all this info and more...
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showatt.php?attachmentid=5266306&d=1351523807

Thanks for all the hard work putting that manual together Chris!

Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Nov 09, 2012, 10:51 PM
Joined Nov 2012
7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
The Rx has no idea of knowing if the Tx is transmitting in micropower mode or not; the Tx basically whispers the same signal that it shouts during normal operation. The latest tx firmware flashes yellow (on the Tx) while it is in bind mode; if you release the button too early you may end up in micro power mode, and the Tx will be flashing green instead... too late and you'll be in calibration mode (red/green alternating).

The latest manual contains all this info and more...
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showatt.php?attachmentid=5266306&d=1351523807

Thanks for all the hard work putting that manual together Chris!

Kev
Right, the transmitter is not flashing green. So I guess micropower is not the issue. But no matter what mode the transmitter is in or even if it's off the link and status lights on the receiver keep flashing and it doesn't seem to want to calibrate or bind. Shouldn't the lights on the receiver be steady? What does it mean that they're flashing?

edit: I just noticed that the status and link led lights on the receiver only flash like that if there are servos plugged in. If I just connect the throttle what happens is all the leds go on briefly and then just the red power light is on. No link or status.
Last edited by CrystalBat808; Nov 10, 2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:24 AM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jettpilot View Post
with a 4 kilowatt dragon link and a directional antenna, we could drive around an fpv car on the moon :d

mike
lol. :d
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Old Nov 10, 2012, 01:27 AM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Okay, so I have a question regarding the "Track" input on the V2. What is this used for? If it's for a head tracker do I HAVE to plug it into there? I ask because right now I have an external head tracker and I'm plugging it into the trainer port of my Futaba 9C. Should I plug it into the "Track" port instead? Can it be used for anything else?
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:31 AM
The way of being is doing.
Italia, Emilia Romagna, Ravenna
Joined Apr 2009
434 Posts
Quote:
No you cant buy it, support for the Futaba 12FG is free It is in the latest firmware release.

Mike
Mike. Ok but my Futuba 12FG seems to work well with DL module. What improves the firmware with this radio ?
I bought my DragonLink on July 2012. For you, is necessary that I send you the module to upgrade the firmware ?
But especially when will be possible to upgrade firmware from home ?
IMEIV is offline Find More Posts by IMEIV
Old Nov 10, 2012, 02:49 AM
France, Limousin, Limoges
Joined Jul 2009
1,257 Posts
DLv1 led after upgrade ?

Hi,

I sent my V1 Tx/Rx for upgrade yesterday, and I'm wondering if the calibration/change ID/binding is the same sequence / led blinking as the new V2 except micro-power mode :
Quote:
Hold the bind button down (while powering up the dragon link tx) for 3-5 seconds until it turns green, release, you get flashing green, which is micro-power mode (Do NOT fly in micro-power mode. this mode is used for range testing)

Or, Hold the bind button down for 6-10 seconds until it turns orange, release, you get flashing orange. This is bind mode.

Or, Hold the bind button down for 11-15 seconds until it turns red, release, you get an alternately flashing red/green. This is calibrate mode.

Or, Hold the bind button down any longer than 15 seconds, it goes out completely. If you do this you have successfully changed ID.
GLADUS63 is offline Find More Posts by GLADUS63
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: old MyFlyDream AAT upgrade
Old Nov 10, 2012, 03:23 AM
Joined Nov 2012
7 Posts
Nevermind lol. I feel kind of dumb but that's o.k. because I have a fully functional DL system. Ground is apparently on the side where the leds are. I thought it was the other way around. Works beautifully. Can't wait to get flying.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 04:28 AM
Joined Sep 2012
202 Posts
Off topic - sorry - best FPV long range - non wing

Hi all, looking for a great long range FPV plane. I have a x8 wing, so looking for a conventional air frame like a skywalker or a FPV 186. I am asking the question here, as we all use dragonlinks for LR, and therefore a good place to ask.

I don't want to have to set up a bungee, and hand launching would be best.

Cheers
VizBizTas is offline Find More Posts by VizBizTas