HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:09 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,835 Posts
Many times people get the package before the tracking info. (Im in TN, it takes 2-3 days max)

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:17 AM
Rotor Addict
United States, VA, Leesburg
Joined Dec 2008
511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
Many times people get the package before the tracking info. (Im in TN, it takes 2-3 days max)

Chris
Ok Cool, I'll be away next week and just want to make sure if I have a package sitting I know about it and I can have a neighbor grab it for me.
naryan is online now Find More Posts by naryan
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:36 AM
United Kingdom, England, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2012
730 Posts
Is the blue link led supposed to flash every second or so on v2 reciever during normal operation ?
motofox is offline Find More Posts by motofox
Old Nov 09, 2012, 11:47 AM
Rotor Addict
United States, VA, Leesburg
Joined Dec 2008
511 Posts
Per the manual a flashing blue light on the RX means it's in micro power mode.
naryan is online now Find More Posts by naryan
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:20 PM
Joined Oct 2012
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
There is no difference, you will get exactly the same number of channels. I would recommend the Futaba Training port connecter, just since its so easy ! The Dragon Link will either work at full performance, or it will not work at all. There is no inbetween...

Mike
Great to hear that , this is the way that I have it connected. I prefer to have the RC transmitter as "original" as I can, without holes and cables coming out of it.

Thanks Mike,

Juan
Juanp is online now Find More Posts by Juanp
Old Nov 09, 2012, 12:58 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,513 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motofox View Post
Is the blue link led supposed to flash every second or so on v2 reciever during normal operation ?
That is not normal; the blue LED turns off when link is lost... after a second or so with lost link, it will enter failsafe. Try calibrating again.

I found this same behavior on the new replacement system I received yesterday; flashing blue after binding. After calibrating (for 45min) the blue LED stays lit during normal operation, even with the Rx 50' away with antenna removed. Actually, my first (early V2) DL system did the same thing until I changed UID, bound, and recalibrated. As a matter of routine, I changed my UID before doing anything to my new DL.

Kev

ps... Mike, I received my replacement system yesterday. It's bound, calibrated, and installed. So far everything looks good to go on the range test and flights in my backyard. Weather has not been jibing well with my schedule, but I am aching to get out and test it ASAP. Will report back...
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Nov 09, 2012, 01:16 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,513 Posts
Mike or Chris, or any other DL experts... I have questions about calibration:

1) Does distance between the Tx and Rx matter?
2) How much will ambient noise & reflections off of obstacles affect calibration?

Obviously it wouldn't be good to have a second DL Tx running while calibrating the first, but I just want to know if it is possible to botch the calibration by having the Tx too close, in a noisy environment, surrounded by large metal objects. My bench is typical of most hobbyists living in urban areas... in a garage with a car, lots of metal shelving, overhead fluorescents, fuse panel, stucco walls (which contain lath), and several HAMs nearby with monstrous stations and towering masts protruding from their backyards. When I go to calibrate, I typically have the Tx less than 3' from the Rx on top of my wood bench. I heard somewhere that it is possible to swamp a UHF rx by transmitting high power too close (the fix is low power or keeping the tx at least 15' away... IIRC this was from a discussion involving TSLRS).

Kev
Old Nov 09, 2012, 02:13 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
Mike or Chris, or any other DL experts... I have questions about calibration:

1) Does distance between the Tx and Rx matter?
2) How much will ambient noise & reflections off of obstacles affect calibration?
1) The distance is recommended to around 10ft with either no antenna on the RX, or the Range Test cap on the TX.

2) I have only had one time where I could not get anything to work... went outside and saw my neighbors HAM Relay station glowing, checked his watt meter (mounted to his tower) and it was reading over 4400watts (only 4 digit meter) outbound ! I waited till his antenna dropped (remote controlled.. its cool) since I couldnt contact him on his vacation to the FL (We are in TN). after the antenna was back down all was well.

After calibrating and binding I have never had any issues with his system killing my DL. (But i try to stay at least 30 deg from either side of his antennas in relation to me.)

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:02 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,513 Posts
Perfect answer, thank you very much... I will recalibrate with 10' range before flight testing. 4.4kW directional... HOLY C**P! I'm not an HAM expert, but that seems like a lot of power for any frequency LOL!

Kev
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:28 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
Perfect answer, thank you very much... I will recalibrate with 10' range before flight testing. 4.4kW directional... HOLY C**P! I'm not an HAM expert, but that seems like a lot of power for any frequency LOL!

Kev
Ya... might have to throw my DL on there one day... 4kW DL Mike could just throw RX's in planes and launch them from his place gonna need more batteries!

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 09, 2012, 05:05 PM
United Kingdom, England, Nottingham
Joined Aug 2012
730 Posts
i get about 15 feet on micro power with a lawmate 1w and rest of kit turned on - about 30 foot with kit turned off. what ya think ?
motofox is offline Find More Posts by motofox
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:00 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,355 Posts
Metal will not hurt calibration. Just do not have the TX antenna right next to the RX, this swamps the RX and will mess up your calibration. This is why I suggest about 10 feet distance, with

Transmitter antenna ON the Dragon Link Transmitter,

Receiver antenna REMOVED from the receiver.

Mike
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Last edited by JettPilot; Nov 09, 2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:05 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by motofox View Post
i get about 15 feet on micro power with a lawmate 1w and rest of kit turned on - about 30 foot with kit turned off. what ya think ?
Something is causing interference, could be video camera, Video TX, OSD who knows... So figure if this cuts your range in half, you can fly 12 KM instead of 25 KM. So it depends on what you want to do.

Always be careful with a new plane, and verify that RTH, etc. is set up correctly, fly in non populated area. If this were a Small plane, I would fly with 12 KM range, but I would verify this over a remote area first !

Just because I am a perfectionist, I would probably try to find a way to cut down the interference. If it was something small like a microkopter, I could live with this if it was not practical to fix.

Mike
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:07 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMEIV View Post
Hi Mike,
I bought DL on July and I use it with Futuba 12FG. Now can I buy only the support for Futuba 12FG ?
No you cant buy it, support for the Futaba 12FG is free It is in the latest firmware release.

Mike
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 09, 2012, 06:08 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,355 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by naryan View Post
JettPilot,

After ordering do you send out a tracking number when the DL is shipped? I ordered Wednesday morning but hadn't received anything except the paypal receipt.

Mike
Yes, it shipped within 24 hours on Thursday, we just did not get the latest tracking numbers into the system yet. We will tonight. If you are in the USA, it will arrive tomorrow or Monday.

Mike
Site Sponsor