HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 07, 2012, 10:32 AM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,161 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1seto View Post
So in my conversation with Mike on this, he suggested only one pot and a toggle, the reason being is that you may not have more than a hand free to use a joystick.

if this were a simple PCB, where would you mount it and what would you guys want to use it for? For a camera mount I Feel like two pots would be a lot more useful than just a pot and a toggle.
Some people are putting mini-joysticks on the BACK of the radio which can be controlled by a finger while you're holding it and have thumbs on the built-in sticks.
viper522 is online now Find More Posts by viper522
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:41 AM
Canada, AB, Mundare
Joined Mar 2011
623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper522 View Post
Some people are putting mini-joysticks on the BACK of the radio which can be controlled by a finger while you're holding it and have thumbs on the built-in sticks.
That was exactly what I was going to do. I have two free pots on my 9x which would become a pan/tilt joystick with spring return to center. If this can be done through the DL so much the better, I would sooner convert the pots to 3 position switches.
Beerwiser is online now Find More Posts by Beerwiser
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:50 AM
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2008
41 Posts
I have calibrated the receivers and bound them correctly but I will get occasional dropouts just sitting less then 10 feet away and in the air. I have had it happen on both of my receiver with both style antennas. Is this expected?
FlMuPhi198 is offline Find More Posts by FlMuPhi198
Old Nov 07, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Jun 2011
759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
That is version 2 system. Your firmware is an older version though. The latest, greatest firmware was released on early 1 October 2012, this is the version that just got everything perfect

Mike
Thanks Mike. Just wondering what the difference is between my firmware and the one that was released Oct 1st?

Also, how would I go about updating it?

Thanks

EDIT: Also, with the firmware upgrade, do I need to do anything with the Rx?
williamjames is offline Find More Posts by williamjames
Last edited by williamjames; Nov 07, 2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:21 PM
Dragon Link/Labs Engineer
Chesterfield, MO
Joined Nov 2010
701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper522 View Post
OK, that's what I'll do then.

I think I may have a decent way of detecting extra channels on the HT port, so I may put a button (shutter) or a toggle on too.. We'll see how it works out.

Either way, this will probably be configurable in software so you can set endpoints, etc.
chris1seto is offline Find More Posts by chris1seto
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:25 PM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,358 Posts
Quote:
How would you like 2 more channels for your DRAGON LINK?

So, I've been selling various hobby widgets since a few months ago, and one thing I see is people asking for more channels from their DragonLink. If I made a device (plug and play) to plug into the DragonLink's Headtracker port to add two more channels, would anyone be interested? This could be used for a camera gimbals, shutter, quick release, etc.

Possible options include:
* A button
* 3+ position toggle switch
* Potentiometer
* Joystick

I could also do a firmware update for the DragonLink which would allow for more channels if there is interest in this.

Feedback.... Please!
cool - I needed 13ch but 14 is OK

could you allow 14ch PPM input?
And could you sell an add-on joystick to plug into the tracker socket? I think the playstation-like joysticks are a popular hack for the 9x for pan/til
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:27 PM
Chesterfield, MO
Joined Nov 2010
701 Posts
Another thing.... Since this thing needs ot be configured on a computer, would you all rather a USB connector or just headers for an FTDI cable to plug into?
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:28 PM
Chesterfield, MO
Joined Nov 2010
701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTheCrash View Post
cool - I needed 13ch but 14 is OK

could you allow 14ch PPM input?
And could you sell an add-on joystick to plug into the tracker socket? I think the playstation-like joysticks are a popular hack for the 9x
It'll be 12 chan max no matter what

This is a limit of the packet structure on the DL. This is more if you want an extra joystick or other input but your TX doesn't have it or has less than 12 channels.
Old Nov 07, 2012, 12:30 PM
Just clumsy. Oh, forgetful too
undefined
Joined Jun 2008
3,358 Posts
Quote:
It'll be 12 chan max no matter what

This is a limit of the packet structure on the DL. This is more if you want an extra joystick or other input but your TX doesn't have it or has less than 12 channels.
Ah OK I get it now

Chris I think you need to do a version of the er9x firmware for the 9x radio that outputs something better than PPM, that Dragon Link will recognise!
MikeTheCrash is offline Find More Posts by MikeTheCrash
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:04 PM
Canada, AB, Mundare
Joined Mar 2011
623 Posts
FTDI header, since we an FTDI to do updates anyhow. One less frickn cable kicking around lol.
Beerwiser is online now Find More Posts by Beerwiser
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:34 PM
Brazil, PR, Curitiba
Joined Mar 2009
320 Posts
Quote:
Another thing.... Since this thing needs ot be configured on a computer, would you all rather a USB connector or just headers for an FTDI cable to plug into?
I think USB is better.
Not all users has the ftdi board or even know what is this (IMO).
junioro16v is offline Find More Posts by junioro16v
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:38 PM
Project Tormentor is flying!
United States, WA, White Salmon
Joined Nov 2005
2,049 Posts
Got my Dragonlink and extra Rx within 5 days of ordering! Thanks Mike! Can't wait to go fly with it!
philthyy is offline Find More Posts by philthyy
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:46 PM
FunkMaster
United States, OH, Mason
Joined Jan 2011
246 Posts
Mine DL just arrived today. Ordered it 3 days ago. Nice!

One question (for Mike or anyone who knows). I didn't see a dummy load with the items I received. Did I see a post a while back saying it's no longer needed and if so, how do you do the recommended range tests? Or...did mine maybe get left out?

I'm not even sure what it would look like (newbie )

Thanks,

Kent
KentF is online now Find More Posts by KentF
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: JTM 1.7m ViperJet
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:50 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,352 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KentF View Post
Mine DL just arrived today. Ordered it 3 days ago. Nice!

One question (for Mike or anyone who knows). I didn't see a dummy load with the items I received. Did I see a post a while back saying it's no longer needed and if so, how do you do the recommended range tests? Or...did mine maybe get left out?

I'm not even sure what it would look like (newbie )

Thanks,

Kent
Dummy loads are no longer included. The newest firmware has a micro-power mode for range checks. Check the manual on the first post...it tells how to get into micro-power mode.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 07, 2012, 01:50 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,873 Posts
Sounds like with the 12ch limit we just need to change to a better stream... Serial? I2C?

Bidirectional Serial would be great but I know the RX's would probably have to change...

I would like something to take advantage of all 16 ch recognized by DOSD...

chris1seto
Maybe you can modulate channels over a single PPM channel like Channel Wizard does. It can give you up to 8 channels modulated per servo channel...

12PPM channels with all non critical (No throttle, Ail, Rud, ELE, flaps) modulated could give you a potential of 56 channels... But at $50 each (You need two per channel) that would get expensive very fast... Might as well go Digital...

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member