SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:25 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,517 Posts
Mike & Chris,
Sorry for returning with more bad news, but my random short range failsafes have started up again. Several times I thought I solved my problem, but today once again today I crashed after a random failsafe. The most frustrating part is this happened after 10 flawless flights in a row at much longer range (no changes to the quad). In fact earlier during the flight I reached 1000' at less than 20' with no glitches in video or controls... 100% RSSI the whole time... It has even landed and took off at 1500' range with no problems. Then I come back close range, and randomly, at short range, my RSSI drops to 0%, DL failsafes for several seconds, and it crashes. Fortunately this happened at just 20' altitude and it only broke a plastic arm (as I mentioned before, 2 prior failsafes cost me a VTx and camera).

For sanity, I've had a few local expert FPV quad guys look in to this (all of whom successfully operate similar quads). They all scratched their heads along with me. At this point I have tried: moving parts around for separation, installing EMI filters on all my 5V & 12V lines (tuned to 433), adding a fatty LC filter on my flight pack volt sensor line, shielding my camera, VTx, and BEC with aluminum tape, swapping in high quality shielded power cables (no ground loops for sure... shields only connected near the lipo), and I even installing RG316 for my video line... overkill really.

So I think it's time I take you up on your offer of sending me a replacement system as we discussed before. I will send you both PM's in a moment.

Thanks,
Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Last edited by Truglodite; Oct 28, 2012 at 11:01 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Aug 2011
64 Posts
Mike is having trouble with his PMs... I sent my TX in to the address he provided, and ordered an RX too. But he only sent back the RX... which I have absolutely no use for without the TX.
FPVdude is offline Find More Posts by FPVdude
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:52 PM
Thermal seeker
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Jul 2005
566 Posts
Is it possible to extend the coaxial cable to put the antenna into a position further than what the default antenna coax will allow?

I'm thinking something with SMA connectors on both ends? Or would this somehow decrease performance?

Thanks!
Bohh33 is offline Find More Posts by Bohh33
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:55 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Mar 2010
476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egaus View Post
Status light is yellow, not blue.

I changed Id, re-bind, still get solid blue link LED and solid red power LED, no status led. Servo works. I'm hearing that my RX should have all 3 LEDs lit if bound correct, is this correct? If so, what else can I try?

e
sounds like its all good and ready to go. Mine has same light display as you're describing. solid blue light is good.
Haych is offline Find More Posts by Haych
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:18 PM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haych View Post
sounds like its all good and ready to go. Mine has same light display as you're describing. solid blue light is good.
So it sounds like having only 2 LEDs lit (link and power) on RX is good? Anyone disagree with this?

What does the status LED report?

Thanks,

e
egaus is offline Find More Posts by egaus
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:28 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVdude View Post
Mike is having trouble with his PMs... I sent my TX in to the address he provided, and ordered an RX too. But he only sent back the RX... which I have absolutely no use for without the TX.
Yeah his PM box is full. Mike offered me a replacement system about a month ago. I was patient and humble enough to hold off until I made sure it wasn't a problem with my installation. It appears that decision may be turning around to bite me in the ***. I hope not, and they send me a replacement ASAP. I already scheduled with my out of town buddies to do some FPV this weekend. After today's incident, I refuse to fly it again until I replace my DL... and I simply can't afford to buy another system to tide me over in situations like this, LOL!

Kev

ps: One of my buddies said he went with EZUHF for the good service... c'mon Mike & Chris... please prove him wrong.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:12 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2007
2,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truglodite View Post
Yeah his PM box is full. Mike offered me a replacement system about a month ago. I was patient and humble enough to hold off until I made sure it wasn't a problem with my installation. It appears that decision may be turning around to bite me in the ***. I hope not, and they send me a replacement ASAP. I already scheduled with my out of town buddies to do some FPV this weekend. After today's incident, I refuse to fly it again until I replace my DL... and I simply can't afford to buy another system to tide me over in situations like this, LOL!

Kev

ps: One of my buddies said he went with EZUHF for the good service... c'mon Mike & Chris... please prove him wrong.
What type of quad is this? What Control board are u using?
blueprint is offline Find More Posts by blueprint
Old Oct 28, 2012, 07:55 PM
Thermal seeker
Brunswick, Ohio
Joined Jul 2005
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohh33 View Post
Is it possible to extend the coaxial cable to put the antenna into a position further than what the default antenna coax will allow?

I'm thinking something with SMA connectors on both ends? Or would this somehow decrease performance?

Thanks!
My research makes it sound like I can do this. But, it kind of sounds like I should make a whole new antenna so there is only 1 SMA connector between the feed line and the RX.

My question is could I make a "extender" feedline that has a mating SMA for the RX and then another mating SMA at the end of the extender and attach my real antenna to that? I understand coaxial is shielded so that it's length doesn't effect anything, but do the number of connectors do anything?

Thanks!
Bohh33 is offline Find More Posts by Bohh33
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined Aug 2011
64 Posts
Yes, please don't make me buy an EZuhf...
FPVdude is offline Find More Posts by FPVdude
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:39 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Jan 2007
1,532 Posts
Leaning towards EzUHF. It might be more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

I don't want to spend my hard earned money on something that will just give me heart ache and grief.

Sorry, DL. I think you just lost a potential customer.

I'm just glad I subscribed and read through all of these issues about the DL before actually ordering one.
LittleG is offline Find More Posts by LittleG
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:43 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
Leaning towards EzUHF. It might be more expensive, but you get what you pay for.

I don't want to spend my hard earned money on something that will just give me heart ache and grief...
Feel free to buy whatever system you like that provides the features you want. There's lots of good systems out there. All with some pros and cons I'm sure. Get what makes you happy and have fun flying.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:53 PM
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueprint View Post
What type of quad is this? What Control board are u using?
It's my same old 450, KK2, GOSD2 (closd), HK Blue Series 20 (simonk), NTM 28-26-1200, 1045sf, Turnigy 40V BEC (aka 'interference free'), SecurityCam2000 600TVL WDR camera, HS-65HB for tilt, 3s750 for video & BEC, and 3s2200 for the packs. Nothing special, other than random failsafes.

Here's a video that summarizes how today went... happy... happy... bang this sucks!!!:

FPV quad - more failsafe drama (4 min 32 sec)

(FF to 3:55 to see the crash, watch the rest to see how random it was. I apologize for the skip right before the crash... my DVR happened to drop some frames. FWIW, what appears to be a problem with my GPS is normal... known issue with my OSD firmware.)

I'm relatively new at this, but I've already learned some things about FPV in this crash course I was blessed with. My expert FPV friends have coached me along the way, seen my efforts to fix the problem, admire my understanding of everything that's going on, are jealous of my level of craftsmanship, and agree there appears to be nothing left I can do but try a replacement DL. My choice of parts may be frugal, but I'm not just blindly slapping parts together and hoping they'll fly. Although, I'm sure many people have done that with their DL and never seen a failsafe. It's frustrating!

Kev
Last edited by Truglodite; Oct 28, 2012 at 11:11 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:54 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,435 Posts
Im still planning on getting it and the DOSD... Did anyone look over the MS word doc i edited with what i think is the correct binding/calibration sequence etc?

cheers
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:07 PM
Cape Cod
Cape Cod
Joined Sep 2010
889 Posts
Saw filter mod

Hi,
Just a heads up for anyone thinking of doing the saw filter mod. I bought 2 of the filters over a year ago and have been putting it off. Today waiting for the hurricane I decided to do it to one of my 1.2 Vrx's. After removing the old Saw filter and replaceing it I had to resolder a connection as it was much worse than the unmodified one. After resoldering it I was amazed at the difference. It was very noticeable. With a dummy load on the Vtx I moved the Vrx's to a point where the unmodified one on my monitor produced no signal at all. The modified one had just a small amount of snow....a big difference.
Good soldering techniques and some extra rosin flux (Radio Shack) makes it an easy job.

Tom
Cape Cod
tom3holer is offline Find More Posts by tom3holer
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:19 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,275 Posts
Has anyone ever found a SAW Filter upgrade tutorial online?
iskess is online now Find More Posts by iskess