HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:30 PM
United States, MO, St. Louis
Joined Nov 2006
901 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by junioro16v View Post
IŽm using Turnigy with ER9X too. 12ch, 22.5ms, 300us!
This works great!
(Just to you know. If I can remember, more than 28.5ms and the DL doesnŽt works).
Hi,

well, when I set it to 12ch's and 300us and 22.5ms I dont get ch2 working, everything else seems to work but not ch2 (at least the other 8ch's work. I want to use 12 but dont need them all yet.

I am afraid of getting channels mixing because it isn't timed correctly. so 22.5 and 300 doesnt work for 12ch's on mine.

someone has to know the exact settings.

thanks
wister is offline Find More Posts by wister
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:56 PM
Brazil, PR, Curitiba
Joined Mar 2009
320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wister View Post
Hi,

well, when I set it to 12ch's and 300us and 22.5ms I dont get ch2 working, everything else seems to work but not ch2 (at least the other 8ch's work. I want to use 12 but dont need them all yet.

I am afraid of getting channels mixing because it isn't timed correctly. so 22.5 and 300 doesnt work for 12ch's on mine.

someone has to know the exact settings.

thanks
I have this exactly settings with all the 12 channels working.

I get one rx with this problem in channel 2.
Look my video!
Dragonlink receiver problem (0 min 48 sec)

When I make a pression under resistor bridge (I dont remember if R8), they works great!
My other rx works 100% on all channels!
junioro16v is offline Find More Posts by junioro16v
Last edited by junioro16v; Oct 17, 2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:41 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glassdogangle View Post
Yes, that is an uncontrolled airport (oops... ). Already on the first flight, the DragonLink got me into a situation I had never encountered before. I have never been out further than 2km in that direction, and my first DL flight I got out to 5km, and too close for comfort to the city airfield.
Yikes! This is my new worst nightmare as a pilot. You seem to be lined up with a 3 degree glide slope too.
If you ever find yourself in a situation were you HAVE to fly within a mile of an uncontrolled field, you should either fly above 2000ft, or as a last resort below 500 ft direct over the top of the airport, perpendicular to the runway. Traffic rarely over flies the field. This is for emergency situations only, avoid all airfields, I just want to point out that flying close to an airfield is worse than flying over it.
Do not under any circumstance fly through the airspace surrounding a control tower. These are busy airports by definition, and if reported to the tower, ATC must file a report. The end of FPV...
iskess is online now Find More Posts by iskess
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:04 PM
France, RA, Lyon
Joined Oct 2012
107 Posts
Quote:
Yes, that is an uncontrolled airport (oops... ). Already on the first flight, the DragonLink got me into a situation I had never encountered before. I have never been out further than 2km in that direction, and my first DL flight I got out to 5km, and too close for comfort to the city airfield.

I solved that problem easily on this morning's flight: I headed out west instead of east, which kept me MILES away from Albany Muni. This morning I got out 6km over nothing but fields. My video tx range is now the bottleneck!

Photo is a still shot from the 6km flight. I am looking back towards the city. Nearest airport is 11km away now...
Nice video of your first 5km flight. What video Tx, RX and antennas did you use ?
I will try my first 5km next week...
fpv38 is offline Find More Posts by fpv38
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:02 PM
Joined Aug 2009
30 Posts
shipment received?

Hey Mike, I hope all is well...sent you a PM, but just checking to see if my shipment arrived with you for firmware upgrade. Should be under my username here.

Thanks!

JC
cherbini is offline Find More Posts by cherbini
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:07 PM
Fatalities caused by FPV: Zero
United States, OR, Springfield
Joined Jun 2011
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
Yikes! This is my new worst nightmare as a pilot. You seem to be lined up with a 3 degree glide slope too.
If you ever find yourself in a situation were you HAVE to fly within a mile of an uncontrolled field, you should either fly above 2000ft, or as a last resort below 500 ft direct over the top of the airport, perpendicular to the runway. Traffic rarely over flies the field. This is for emergency situations only, avoid all airfields, I just want to point out that flying close to an airfield is worse than flying over it.
Do not under any circumstance fly through the airspace surrounding a control tower. These are busy airports by definition, and if reported to the tower, ATC must file a report. The end of FPV...
Nice! Another real-world pilot to talk to!

The GoPro lens distorts things a bit. I am much higher than a 3 degree glide slope, actually. You can tell just by looking at the angle of the runway that anyone approaching for a landing at my altitude would tend to overshoot...
glassdogangle is offline Find More Posts by glassdogangle
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:37 PM
Joined Jun 2011
509 Posts
Quote:
Yikes! This is my new worst nightmare as a pilot. You seem to be lined up with a 3 degree glide slope too...
Now that you got me curious, I used Google Earth to find my exact location as I intercepted the localizer (it happened twice, of course, at almost exactly 430 meters AGL each time). Google has a ruler tool which allowed me to calculate the exact ground distance between my aircraft and the runway 34 numbers. This measurement is 1800 meters.

To find the angle (in this case, glide slope):

tan (x) = 430/1800
tan (x) = .238
x = tan -1(.238)
x = 13.38 degrees

Typical airport glide slope is 3 degrees, correct, but some are 4 degrees. So at 13.38 degrees I was much higher than a typical approach...

This doesn't mean, of course, that all pilots use the 3 or 4 degree descent rate. In fact, the Cessna 172 that I learned on has a best L/D glide angle of 10:1 which is about 5.7 degrees. So, a Cessna pilot who loses an engine on final who was following a 3 or even 4 degree gs may not make it to the runway...

All this is academic, of course. FPV planes don't belong anywhere near where I was, until they make live flight cameras with resolution as good as my eyes are, and until we all carry handheld com radios...

As I was telling FPV38 above, I solved the problem of getting too close very easily on my second and latest flight: I headed out west instead of east, which kept me MILES away from Albany Muni. This morning I got out 6km over nothing but fields.

I also did a thorough search on google for any other airports within 30 km of my launching point...
Last edited by glassdogangle; Oct 17, 2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 05:49 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,684 Posts
Quote:
until we all carry handheld com radios...
That was my latest purchase... I have a private field about 10 miles from me so I use it to listen to the guys, lets me know when they are flying over where I fly... Works most of the time, Ill shoot below 400ft AGL if they are even talking about coming my way, but the Ultralight guys will chase me all the way down to around 200ft Luckily in that case I have a 2:1 power to weight ratio

But, I always stay in close contact with the airfield and they let me know of any oddities for the day. They are very supportive and even host an RC club...
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:09 PM
Joined Jun 2011
509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
That was my latest purchase... I have a private field about 10 miles from me so I use it to listen to the guys, lets me know when they are flying over where I fly... Works most of the time, Ill shoot below 400ft AGL if they are even talking about coming my way, but the Ultralight guys will chase me all the way down to around 200ft Luckily in that case I have a 2:1 power to weight ratio

But, I always stay in close contact with the airfield and they let me know of any oddities for the day. They are very supportive and even host an RC club...
What brand and model radio do you use, and how much did you pay? I am looking at an ICOM IC-A14 VHF TRANSCEIVER right now. It will be a big help when there is anything nearby in my airspace... Cheap insurance. Any advantage helps...

Woops, we are off topic... PM me the info...

Dragon Link RULES!!!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:15 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,684 Posts
Quote:
What brand and model radio do you use, and how much did you pay? I am looking at an ICOM IC-A14 VHF TRANSCEIVER right now. It will be a big help when there is anything nearby in my airspace... Cheap insurance. Any advantage helps...
Honestly, Im not sure... Its a basic handheld that looks like its been used by every pilot at the field, labels worn off, cracked, taped, glued... any time I have problems I have to go to the field and "test" frequencies until i come through... the screen is broke... but it charged and makes noise, got it for $25 off one of the guys that flys from there... I just bought my Dragonlink when i met them and didnt have much extra cash... Now Im trying to get all of them to fly UHF...

That ICOM looks nice though! I wish mine had all its buttons
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by chanyote66; Oct 17, 2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:37 PM
United States, IN, Newburgh
Joined Jul 2012
69 Posts
Well guys, I just bought a Dragon Link... can't wait for it to arrive. I have my first series of longer distance flights all planned out for my Axon. ... a little anxious about the DX7 mod, but EA's video looks do-able.
Helishoen is offline Find More Posts by Helishoen
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:51 PM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,229 Posts
Quote:
Now that you got me curious, I used Google Earth to find my exact location as I intercepted the localizer (it happened twice, of course, at almost exactly 430 meters AGL each time). Google has a ruler tool which allowed me to calculate the exact ground distance between my aircraft and the runway 34 numbers. This measurement is 1800 meters.

To find the angle (in this case, glide slope):

tan (x) = 430/1800
tan (x) = .238
x = tan -1(.238)
x = 13.38 degrees

Typical airport glide slope is 3 degrees, correct, but some are 4 degrees. So at 13.38 degrees I was much higher than a typical approach...

This doesn't mean, of course, that all pilots use the 3 or 4 degree descent rate. In fact, the Cessna 172 that I learned on has a best L/D glide angle of 10:1 which is about 5.7 degrees. So, a Cessna pilot who loses an engine on final who was following a 3 or even 4 degree gs may not make it to the runway...

All this is academic, of course. FPV planes don't belong anywhere near where I was, until they make live flight cameras with resolution as good as my eyes are, and until we all carry handheld com radios...

As I was telling FPV38 above, I solved the problem of getting too close very easily on my second and latest flight: I headed out west instead of east, which kept me MILES away from Albany Muni. This morning I got out 6km over nothing but fields.

I also did a thorough search on google for any other airports within 30 km of my launching point...
Wow, I was way off! That GoPro lens really makes it look like you are on slope. Nice job with the analysis!

I chuckled imagining other pilots seeing your plane after you use your new icom to report " Albany traffic, Skywalker Foxtrot-Papa-Victor on left base for for runway 34"
iskess is online now Find More Posts by iskess
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:26 PM
Joined Jun 2011
509 Posts
Quote:
Wow, I was way off! That GoPro lens really makes it look like you are on slope. Nice job with the analysis!

I chuckled imagining other pilots seeing your plane after you use your new icom to report " Albany traffic, Skywalker Foxtrot-Papa-Victor on left base for for runway 34"
LOL I have toyed with the idea... Didn't think of the foxtrot papa victor, though. Think they would figure that out?

"Skywalker foxtrot papa victor, Albany traffic, we have negative radar contact, squawk seven two one niner..."

Actually, I think they would try to hand me off to Seattle Center for flight following...

Nooo, BAD idea!!!
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:44 AM
Germany
Joined Mar 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjones View Post
Hi
I bought my Dragon Link system mid of 2011 and then it was updated by Mike beginning of 2012. Wich firmware version would I need ?
IŽd like to buy new receivers, but I need to know which firmware !!
mrjones is offline Find More Posts by mrjones
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:54 AM
Joined Sep 2011
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjones View Post
IŽd like to buy new receivers, but I need to know which firmware !!
If u have upgrade ur system before 7apr2012. The the correct RX fw for u is 7 dec 2011 to 7 apr 2012.
emadine is offline Find More Posts by emadine