Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:00 PM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
I've never used DL, but it was recommended to me by someone who has, so I have confidence in the product. The documentation, however, not so much.

I know not issuing a printed manual saves money, but I would rather have one, always. It's a BIG plus in my book. And it adds to the professional perception of a product to include a printed manual, with easy to follow, consistent and even sometimes illustrated, instructions.

From page 7:

[Picture of the top of the DragonLink TX here, with labels]

When I saw that, I laughed out loud.

e
egaus is offline Find More Posts by egaus
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:06 PM
Joined Dec 2004
169 Posts
There are several places where it contradicts itself in the manual - I'm going to keep fooling with it - now I read a section that says the LED should turn "RED" after ten seconds (under 'Bind/Menu pg.9 ) then "FAST FLASH" between RED/GREEN.

Underthe Quick Start (pg 4 step 10) it says the LED should turn "YELLOW" after ten seconds, then flash RED/GREEN "slowly"

I'm confused!
(Not easy for me to be confused though)
Jeff Watt is offline Find More Posts by Jeff Watt
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:15 PM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
Well, calibration seemed to go well, however I was confused about the last step:

9. Remove the jumper and power cycle both the TX and RX.

So I am supposed to remove the jumper from the RX while it is powered, and then power cycle both? Really?

Can't get bind to work ... still trying different versions of instructions in the manual from page 1 of this thread. When I follow the directions, I get a blinking green LED that blinks red every so often. Not a fast blinking green. Suggestions? RX still has blinking blue LED and bad latency.

e
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:31 PM
Joined Dec 2004
169 Posts
OK, think I got it. I'll let you know in 15 minutes.

I belive the "Quick Start" section is wrong.

Try holding down the Bind button until the LED turns RED (not yellow), then release it and follow the calibration instructions, then hold down the button until the LED turns "YELLOW" (not green) and follow the bind instructions with the jumper OFF of the receiver. They apparently updated the back of the manual, but not the quickstart in the front ( the procedures are correct, but the LED colors appear to be wrong) I'm recalibrating now - let you know shortly)
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:38 PM
Joined Dec 2004
169 Posts
Egaus - check your PMs
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:43 PM
Registered Aircraft Offender
Carmichael, CA
Joined Feb 2007
3,513 Posts
The manual again? Anyways, I just wanted to stop by and say my DL is now working great. My problem was in fact a bad built in BEC. :P

Cheers to DL2!
Kev
Truglodite is offline Find More Posts by Truglodite
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:46 PM
Dragon Link/Labs Engineer
Chesterfield, MO
Joined Nov 2010
701 Posts
As far as the manual goes, it's a work in progress, this is fairly obviously stated. 3D renders are on the way and the labeling for them is intentional. The vast majority of the technical information of the manual is accurate and new revisions are published fairly often.

As far as the alignment of the documentation with the functioning of the product, we are the middle of normalizing the LEDs and functions of the device with the quickstart and extended sections in the manual.

If you have further questions on the material covered in the manual, please PM me or post here. I have a smartphone and a 4G internet connection, it does not take me long to get to this stuff.

With the regards to the physical manual vs PDF, my comments are as follows:
* You cannot Ctrl+F a physical document to find relevant information. You have the read through the entire thing. Call me too modern, but I can't stand physical papers. I instantly throw out manuals for pretty much anything I own.
* Printing a manual will cost more
* More and more users have devices such as smartphones and tablets with which to browse the manual on. When working on my bike, for example, I use my smartphone exclusively for part manuals.
chris1seto is offline Find More Posts by chris1seto
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:48 PM
Chesterfield, MO
Joined Nov 2010
701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Watt View Post
OK, think I got it. I'll let you know in 15 minutes.

I belive the "Quick Start" section is wrong.

Try holding down the Bind button until the LED turns RED (not yellow), then release it and follow the calibration instructions, then hold down the button until the LED turns "YELLOW" (not green) and follow the bind instructions with the jumper OFF of the receiver. They apparently updated the back of the manual, but not the quickstart in the front ( the procedures are correct, but the LED colors appear to be wrong) I'm recalibrating now - let you know shortly)
Depending on which FW you have, the LED colors may have been swapped around. We swapped them around to normalize the indications on the device. Green LED on menu -> green LED during menu option, for example.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:02 PM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
Chris, my problem now is binding. Can you post your idea of what the proper procedure is? I am getting a blinking blue LED on RX and servos function with bad latency. I cannot get a green flashing LED, I get a green flashing with occasional red thrown in every sixth blink.

My TX and RX were received on Wednesday, brand new.

e
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:04 PM
Joined Dec 2004
169 Posts
Not dissing you Chris, just trying to get it to work and comparing notes on what's NOT working!

We have tried 6 different combinations of button presses and NONE of the procedures line up with what we're seeing on the actual hardware.

Still get a blinking blue link light with terrible latency.
All three of our units arrived this week (kolabuzlu, egaus, and me), all with the same symptoms.
Last edited by Jeff Watt; Oct 06, 2012 at 10:29 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:09 PM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
Chris, my problem now is binding. Can you post your idea of what the proper procedure is? I am getting a blinking blue LED on RX and servos function with bad latency. I cannot get a green flashing LED on the TX, I get a green flashing with red thrown in every sixth blink.

As for the manual, defend it all you want, but it is incorrect and misleading which only confuses and frustrates your customers. I can understand not printing the manual as the firmware is in flux, but the online manual should be kept up to date. If it was, myself and others wouldn't be wasting our time and yours.

I still prefer printed manuals. I don't own a smart phone and probably never will.

Thank you.

e
Last edited by egaus; Oct 06, 2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:57 PM
Joined Dec 2004
169 Posts
OK,
6.5 hrs on this, three different transmitters (Futaba9z, Futaba 9c, Turnigy er9x).

Same symptoms persist, I cannot get a bind on any of these radios. I get a slow flashing blue link LED, and about a 1.5 second latency on the servo movement. Been on the phone with egaus and two other guys who offered their help (thanks!) since shortly after 2300hrs EST.

I believe we are down to a DL hardware problem. I'm beat and I'm going to bed.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:22 AM
Quadrophenia
Seattle
Joined Mar 2009
915 Posts
Wow. Thanks for the effort Jeff, wish someone else would put in as much.

e
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:27 AM
Turkey, Istanbul
Joined Dec 2010
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
Version 1 Dragon Link did not have head tracking... Version 2 does

Mike
Thanks Mike,
I know? This is the one my reason for choosing DL.

Although followed the instructions, I couldn't manage. Connected google, selected 6 and 7 channels, binded......

So I am looking someone who managed this successfully.

Cheers

Firat
Firatp is offline Find More Posts by Firatp
Old Oct 07, 2012, 12:28 AM
Chesterfield, MO
Joined Nov 2010
701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by egaus View Post
Chris, my problem now is binding. Can you post your idea of what the proper procedure is? I am getting a blinking blue LED on RX and servos function with bad latency. I cannot get a green flashing LED, I get a green flashing with occasional red thrown in every sixth blink.

e
Hi,

The bind procedure should be releasing on the second LED color shift (IIRC, Green). The LED should blink yellow slowly. Power up the RX, the LEDS will come up during the power up self test and then only the status LED shall persist.

At this point, power cycle your TX.