Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:55 PM
United States, FL, Plantation
Joined Nov 2005
655 Posts
ok.. here is an actual question for me.

So, is it normal that the DragonLink will some how detect rapid stick movements as "glitches" and then lock up in the CURRENT position for a second or two?

To reproduce:
Recently, I was setting up my wing's osd and was testing FS and other things.... I noticed that when I move the elevator and aileron VERY VERY rapidly, the entire system (DL) seems to lock up. I am using an Eagletree OSD Pro...there is a setting to handle PCM errors, however this isnt enabled nor is it detecting/configured for any PCM

When it is...and i rapidly move the control surfaces, it (OSD) will eventually go into a false fail safe thinking there is to many glitches. The only reason this is relevant is because when it does go into this false state, my pan servo is still 100% operable as it is not connected to the OSD in any way.

However, when configured correctly for PPM and I move the sticks rapidly (think xbox hit the A+B buttons when you don't know how to play a game...and you are getting your butt kicked by a 5 yr old...fast) the system freezes and the pan servo also becomes unresponsive.
GregSilver is offline Find More Posts by GregSilver
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:56 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSilver View Post
Here are some more questions that might not have been addressed, recently...

Is it OK to COIL the antenna coax? If yes, is it better to coil near the Rx, mid point, end?

Nake, I have seen illustrations that show you shouldn't run your antenna parallel to the antenna feeds. Not sure if that is the right wording... but an example would be that your coax runs up the rudder, running "almost" parallel with the antenna feeds.
Maybe Im dumb but I dont really understand:

"your coax runs up the rudder, running "almost" parallel with the antenna feeds."
which antenna feeds? the GPS?
nakelp86 is offline Find More Posts by nakelp86
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New (old) Disco gimbal
Old Oct 10, 2011, 04:00 PM
United States, FL, Plantation
Joined Nov 2005
655 Posts
GregSilver is offline Find More Posts by GregSilver
Old Oct 10, 2011, 04:15 PM
Joined Aug 2010
1 Posts
Hi Mike,

When there is no problem, it has to be said too..

Thanks for fast shipping and tracking.

Here's my return of experience as new to DL :
- Mod on Mx16s tx (ppm from inside the box with ground and "+" and 6.35mm stereo jack) : works perfectly,
- Swap with my old corona rx and binding : zero problem (channel n <-> channel n),
- Failsafe setting : ok (was mid-throttle as default, so failsafe has really to be set),
- Ground test with dummy load : 20 meters as described, even with some obstacles (20 big steps). Some cms further, no more signal (no glitches to warn). Tested with the camera on the pan (maybe a little more latency than I had in 40 Mhz?).

Next step : in the air :-)
I'm happy and feel confident with the system.
EPPFAN is offline Find More Posts by EPPFAN
Old Oct 10, 2011, 05:30 PM
Eccentricus Magnus
Joined May 2006
841 Posts
All righty . first Crash of the new thread

Yes, I seem to have the dubious honor of being the first to have a "Horrific incident" while using Dragon Link in my Culairs.

I was doing an FPV flight when the ENTIRE NOSE of the plane ripped of from the thrust of the engine. the resulting gyroscopic/out of control flight was all captured on video

Yes, this is my entry for this weeks contest. check out 4:00-4:10 on the Video:

OOps 1.wmv (7 min 12 sec)

the plane is safe and mostly undamaged, I am repairing the nose as we speak. Here's what it looked like after the motor ripped it apart after only 7 flights on the bird.

KrisW
KrisW is offline Find More Posts by KrisW
Old Oct 10, 2011, 05:48 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,785 Posts
Quote:
OK, got it will move it for the final mount.
Thx for pointing it out.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2011, 06:49 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,414 Posts
Mike, I went out for a flight with my MK but I kept getting failsafes. It looks like the tx is going into binding mode on its own. I was able to get some video of the problem.

DL problem (0 min 36 sec)
Buffythesaint is offline Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
Old Oct 10, 2011, 07:48 PM
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Jun 2008
964 Posts
Quote:

So, is it normal that the DragonLink will some how detect rapid stick movements as "glitches" and then lock up in the CURRENT position for a second or two?

To reproduce:
Recently, I was setting up my wing's osd and was testing FS and other things.... I noticed that when I move the elevator and aileron VERY VERY rapidly, the entire system (DL) seems to lock up. I am using an Eagletree OSD Pro...there is a setting to handle PCM errors, however this isnt enabled nor is it detecting/configured for any PCM

When it is...and i rapidly move the control surfaces, it (OSD) will eventually go into a false fail safe thinking there is to many glitches. The only reason this is relevant is because when it does go into this false state, my pan servo is still 100% operable as it is not connected to the OSD in any way.

However, when configured correctly for PPM and I move the sticks rapidly (think xbox hit the A+B buttons when you don't know how to play a game...and you are getting your butt kicked by a 5 yr old...fast) the system freezes and the pan servo also becomes unresponsive.
That problem sounds familiar when the reciever and servos are starving for power due to too many servos or too much power need. Plug and amp meter when you those rapid movement of control surfaces to see how many amps your system is pulling. If that's not it then something else wrong with setup or rx itself.
Wefinance01 is offline Find More Posts by Wefinance01
Old Oct 10, 2011, 08:02 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,147 Posts
Quote:

I have flown the Dragon Link for hundreds of hours on everything from large gas to small electric planes. I am quite convinced this is not a problem of the Dragon Link system. It is most likely something in your Plane itself, or OSD causing this. Maybe even your RC TX may not be handling this situation well.

Try this test. Hook the Dragon Link receiver to a battery, and just ONE servo, and then do the rapid stick movements. I bet you will see it is fine. The Dragon Link does not care, or even know if one servo, or 12 servos are hooked to it, but using just a battery and a servo takes a lot of complexity out of the system, and you can eliminate the problem being with the Dragon link this way.

Mike
JettPilot is online now Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 10, 2011, 08:06 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffythesaint View Post
Mike, I went out for a flight with my MK but I kept getting failsafes. It looks like the tx is going into binding mode on its own. I was able to get some video of the problem.
Hi Brian,

From your video, the Dragon LInk is flashing RED, which means it is loosing PPM signal. First thing to do is make sure your transmitter is in PPM mode and not PCM mode. If that is correct, attach a short wire from the Dragon LInk case, screw it to the bottom screw on the FLAT side of the case, and then connect the other end to the ground of your RC transmitter. Keep the wire as short as possible with no coils.

Another thing you can do is try the 1/2 wave antenna, which will also change the RF equation enough to possibly solve this problem for you.

Mike
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 10, 2011, 08:09 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLADUS63 View Post
Up
Mike any news from my pm ?
Have you shipped the 2 rx with 3 antenna 36 inch extension ?
Should I swap with the new Tx even if I received mine in early june (2011) ?
thanks

Cedric
Cedric,

Yes, use the newest version of the transmitter, we are constantly making improvements to them !

Mike
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 10, 2011, 08:13 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,147 Posts
Quote:
Mike, can you please lay an ongoing problem to rest....once and for all?

Multiple Dragonlink systems on at the same time cause problems. This statement has been said so many times, I have lost count.

We need to hear it FROM YOU what limitations the system has when multiple TX's are on at the same time.

What steps, if any, should be taken to ensure no problems when multiple people are flying with DL systems? IE: rebinding process/instructions.

We need a definitive answer from you. 9 out of 10 people will just not even take the chance of doing a real world test with this. Which is 100% understandable.

So please, its well over due, let everyone know the TRUTH about multiple DLs running at the same time...even if its not good, we need to know.
Hi Greg,

I have given an answer to this question many times in the old thread, we are not hiding from this issue. I will put it on the record here for the new thread. Sometimes the Dragon Links will fly very nicely together, sometimes they will not. It boils down to PURE LUCK. There are many thousands of possible ID combinations, so there is no way we can tell which ones will work together or not. You must do the test to find out. We are very ACTIVELY working on a fix for this and expect it soon. When we get it solved, it will be a free firmware upgrade for anyone that wants it

Mike
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 10, 2011, 08:28 PM
Nakelp
United States, NJ, Union
Joined Sep 2004
6,785 Posts
Mike
is this set up OK, meaning the antenna and coax not totally perpendicular??
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2011, 09:11 PM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakelp86 View Post
Mike
is this set up OK, meaning the antenna and coax not totally perpendicular??
That looks perfect, the coax can even be up to 45 degrees or so bent after the ferrite and it will not hurt anything. So if you need, you can bend it even a little more.

The only problem I see with that setup is that the plane is missing part of its tail, pitch control will be somewhat difficult like that

Mike
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 10, 2011, 09:13 PM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
Hey Mike, did you find that PM?
man2000me is offline Find More Posts by man2000me