HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2012, 10:26 AM
The Toy Man
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2004
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexnoobs247 View Post
Haha thats hilarious. So your work bench just keeps mysteriously accumulating more stuff with no real explanation as to when or how it got there. Lol epic. Maybe we should have everyone list a technique or two they use to get their FPV gear into their house without their wife (or in Vans case, the wife creature) raising an issue
*Someone should really start a new topic on this if there isn't already one out there..

After you've spent the better part of the last 25 years accumulating R/C stuff (and not selling everything before you 'upgrade') it gets harder and harder for them to track, especially if they don't care two bits about it in general. Look at it this way... I have a bunch of radio gear.. JR 9303, JR 10X, JR 12X and some older stuff.... I finally decide to move back to Futaba and buy the 18MZ last month.. It arrives at my brother's house and after a weekend of flying with him I bring it home. To most any R/C guy, they'd know the difference in a 12X and an 18MZ in a heartbeat but the wifey doesn't! If it were a new pair of shoes with only a different pinstripe from the previous pair she'd nail me the second I walked in the door.. haha

Of course, your results will very based upon how savvy you significant other is... If they are then its your job to overwhelm them with R/C clutter! Or use the old "traded" line... If all you have so far is one plane and setup you've got a bit of a curve to overcome but don't lose faith! You can do it!

PS. Always be VERY careful what you leave open in your browser! If they catch wind you're looking at something new they'll be on guard! :X
Frisk151 is offline Find More Posts by Frisk151
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2012, 10:33 AM
The Toy Man
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2004
250 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hendrnk View Post
I even snuck in a new car once. it was the same color and basic shape. old car WRX new car WRX STI. With all the RC Plane stuff and racing car parts, I think she has given up. The basement is full of RC stuff and the 3 car garage is full of racing car parts.
Now that was a smooth move on the car! I'd have to re-badge it with the old one to get away with it here since she is fairly car savvy but that would be a small price to pay for upgrading..,

My other plus is that I still have a LOT of old R/C stuff at my parent's.. I've planed the seed many times about how much "R/C crap" I have there and need to bring back. I just have to go the extra 'mile' and ship it to them and I'm golden..

I say all of this now.. She's a smart woman.. If I were to get busted she'd probably start paying attention, writing down serials, etc... lol..

Ok, sorry for the off-topic..
Frisk151 is offline Find More Posts by Frisk151
Old May 31, 2012, 10:39 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
11,375 Posts
Yes, after a while the clutter and number of RC things is your ally. When she comes in the shop, she will not spot any particular new buy, but she will sometimes make a remark like this: "looks like your stuff area expanded since my last visit here".

Example: Now when I buy a battery or two she doesn't see it, but maybe I shouldn't have showed her the new aluminum case I bought to carry them...with all the batteries in it
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old May 31, 2012, 10:47 AM
FPV FTW!!
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Oct 2011
641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koby View Post
This.

My comments weren't about impatience.
My comments were about misleading the customers and then those comments being backed up/excused by the volunteers.
The empty promises from Mike and product availability hype borders on the insane. It undermines the trust in the business as a whole and insults the customer.
We are back to that word, accountability.

Does it ever get tiring being a glass half empty kind of guy? Put yourself in his shoes, he has a very small company (him and his wife, and just recently hired a couple people to help, but they need training) and its his responsibility to coordinate production, design, websites, customer support on the forum, technical support, financial aspects, technical support, shipping (yes he drives to the post office with huge loads of boxes), paypal, upgrades/updates, and the future design aspects of DL. He has mentioned before, not complaining mind you, that he puts in over 14 hours a day almost every day to better SERVE the customer. Now mix that all in with the fact that he has a wife he has to provide for her emotional needs (ie spending time with her, paying attention to her etc) plus he has no personal time to himself!!! We all know women aren't nearly emotionally stable as men are, can you imagine what he deals with? Mike, when will you take me out, Mike when will you stop messing with those electronics and do the dishes, Mike Mike Mike. Dude, his life can't be easy. Not to mention he has no time to fly.

All that to say, I bet he is more than a little overwhelmed. And when you get overwhelmed its hard to make accurate estimates. So when he says the new batch will be ready to go in 2 days and it turns out to be 5, cut him some slack, you don't know what happened down there in Florida. Mike is as honest as can be in every aspect of taking care of customers when our crap breaks, or we break it, so I can't imagine that he would be less than honest with his estimates. He is just trying to stay optimistic in a wicked stressful situation.
Rexnoobs247 is offline Find More Posts by Rexnoobs247
Old May 31, 2012, 10:59 AM
Joined Oct 2009
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexnoobs247 View Post
Does it ever get tiring being a glass half empty kind of guy?
Less than half the time.
Mike sounds like a great guy. I hope he can get it all sorted out.
Koby is offline Find More Posts by Koby
Old May 31, 2012, 11:19 AM
Mums the word.
St.Augustine, FL
Joined Sep 2009
2,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisk151 View Post
LOL.. I used to do that but have now created a "conspiracy" by sending stuff to single neighbor friends.. It's either that or everything costs me double... in new shoes, dresses, etc.. I prefer to buy those as gifts...
I bought a HT FPV and set it away for a couple days and built one night when she was sleeping. The next day while i'm at work my son (3yrs) asks his mommy if she has seen daddies new ovoecopter (helicopter)? He says its cool, and compared it to his toy helicopter. So I came home to, "Your son showed me your new toy".

Great. Turned in by my own flesh and blood. haha
man2000me is offline Find More Posts by man2000me
Old May 31, 2012, 11:20 AM
United States, NV, Rachel
Joined Dec 2008
1,149 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo__04 View Post
Where currently is the best place to buy the dragonlink uhf from?
The site or readymaderc? Who has stock?

Thanks
http:www.UrbanDrones.com is the other site where you can get it
alexedit is offline Find More Posts by alexedit
Old May 31, 2012, 11:27 AM
An Aussie in Chicago
Joined Apr 2012
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexedit View Post
http:www.UrbanDrones.com is the other site where you can get it
Readymade RC is supposed to be getting 6 units this week. Urban drones is now taking orders. Both have no actual stock...but expecting it shortly. I prefer to place an order and be on a queue and not be subject to hitting a web site every hour and hoping to hit it at the right time and potentially never getting it.
hendrnk is online now Find More Posts by hendrnk
Old May 31, 2012, 11:34 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by teopbako View Post
Still you have to admit that your quick answers that always try to justify DL acts and reassure anyone complaining, raise reasonable doubt about your motives.
I am also a happy user of DL but can't be thrilled about the way DL is treating customers (regarding e-mails, pm's and communication in general).

P.S
What is all that fuzz about wifes founding out e.t.c
To all who may be curious about my status/intentions. I bought my DL a long time back...still using it. Back then the website said "We will not accept orders unless we have stock to ship". A little research told me that was not accurate. They were accepting orders and it was taking upwards of three months to get your order. DL had the best features and price for what was available...so I placed my order and waited, and monitored, and received some answers to questions I'd ask. Needless to say my DL arrived and has worked flawlessly for me.

In that time I've been on the thread, saw lots of questions, read lots of answers, and hung around to learn more. With my 11k+ posts, I've been around for a while and have seen/read more than those with the 5, 16, 55 post counts. I have no reason to 'hide' and 'not share' what I've learned, so I've tried to answer questions and help out when I could. I was never asked to 'assist' DL...I was just trying to do it...like I have on several other threads I participate a lot in. What I've done to this point is because I WANTED TO, not because someone asked me to, or is supplying things free of charge to me so I can 'deflect' criticism.

In my time with DL I did order one of Mikes DOSDs AND PAID FOR IT just like anyone else. I also (later) ordered an extra DL Rx AND PAID FOR IT...but Mike refunded my payment and shipped me the Rx...and I thanked him for it. Now he said he's going to send me a DL V2...I appreciate that. Other guys will have their V2s in hand way before I'm expecting to see one and that's fine by me. You want to talk about getting free stuff. Ask Rocky2 how many DL Rx's he's won from Mike...and how often is he here helping out fellow DL'rs? Not very often and mostly when posting a video to win yet another Rx (sorry for dragging you in Rocky). Believe me...I'm not being compensated like some probably think.

I've seen Mike help folks out many a time when he didnt' have to. Perhaps those 'newbies' to the thread haven't seen that...so they just jump out at things without background info. YES...I WILL defend Mike on those as I know and have seen that his intention IS NOT to rip anyone off. I can image Mike's been ripped off by his 'customers' and has kept going because 'it was the right thing to do'.

Yes, Mike's communication has fallen short...happened to me too. No he is not trying to decieve us/you. I hope he gets it all sorted out and everyone is happy...but seeing what folks seem to like to do on this thread...some of y'all will never be happy...so for those...please look elsewhere if you're not satisfied. There's several LRS units out there now. Go buy their stuff. If you're happy then good. No skin off my back either way....stepping off my soap box now. I'll still be around to help out with things I can and will remain silent on those I can't...else be accused of providing worthless information...
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Vantasstic; May 31, 2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old May 31, 2012, 11:35 AM
FPV FTW!!
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Oct 2011
641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by man2000me View Post
I bought a HT FPV and set it away for a couple days and built one night when she was sleeping. The next day while i'm at work my son (3yrs) asks his mommy if she has seen daddies new ovoecopter (helicopter)? He says its cool, and compared it to his toy helicopter. So I came home to, "Your son showed me your new toy".

Great. Turned in by my own flesh and blood. haha
Haha classic. Thats when you say "its not a toy, its a tool!" Then you proceed to show her how you can make money doing AP
Rexnoobs247 is offline Find More Posts by Rexnoobs247
Old May 31, 2012, 11:51 AM
Qatar
Joined Feb 2011
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
To all who may be curious about my status/intentions. I bought my DL a long time back...still using it. Back then the website said "We will not accept orders unless we have stock to ship". A little research told me that was not accurate. They were accepting orders and it was taking upwards of three months to get your order. DL had the best features and price for what was available...so I placed my order and waited, and monitored, and received some answers to questions I'd ask. Needless to say my DL arrived and has worked flawlessly for me.

In that time I've been on the thread, saw lots of questions, read lots of answers, and hung around to learn more. With my 11k+ posts, I've been around for a while and have seen/read more than those with the 5, 16, 55 post counts. I have no reason to 'hide' and 'not share' what I've learned, so I've tried to answer questions and help out when I could. I was never asked to 'assist' DL...I was just trying to do it...like I have on several other threads I participate a lot in. What I've done to this point is because I WANTED TO, not because someone asked me to, or is supplying things free of charge to me so I can 'deflect' criticism.

In my time with DL I did order one of Mikes DOSDs AND PAID FOR IT just like anyone else. I also (later) ordered an extra DL Rx AND PAID FOR IT...but Mike refunded my payment and shipped me the Rx...and I thanked him for it. Now he said he's going to send me a DL V2...I appreciate that. Other guys will have their V2s in hand way before I'm expecting to see one and that's fine by me. You want to talk about getting free stuff. Ask Rocky2 how many DL Rx's he's won from Mike...and how often is he here helping out fellow DL'rs? Not very often and mostly when posting a video to win yet another Rx (sorry for dragging you in Rocky). Believe me...I'm not being compensated like some probably think.

I've seen Mike help folks out many a time when he didnt' have to. Perhaps those 'newbies' to the thread haven't seen that...so they just jump out at things without background info. YES...I WILL defend Mike on those as I know and have seen that his intention IS NOT to rip anyone off. I can image Mike's been ripped off his 'customers' and has kept going because 'it was the right thing to do'.

Yes, Mike's communication has fallen short...happened to me too. No he is not trying to decieve us/you. I hope he gets it all sorted out and everyone is happy...but seeing what folks seem to like to do on this thread...some of y'all will never be happy...so for those...please look elsewhere if you're not satisfied. There's several LRS units out there now. Go buy their stuff. If you're happy then good. No skin off my back either way....stepping off my soap box now. I'll still be around to help out with things I can and will remain silent on those I can't...else be accused of providing worthless information...
Fully Agree, Personally I will continue buying from Mike. He is very helpfull, very reliable, Tries to keep all his customers satisfied even at his own cost. That means something! For that I will accept that the comunication could sometimes better/quicker. Only hope that his loyal customers get still preference above the shops now selling DL.

Take Care
bvuaemal is offline Find More Posts by bvuaemal
Old May 31, 2012, 11:54 AM
Honey Badger
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2005
1,814 Posts
Well said Vantasstic.

Haters gonna hate.

I, me, my. Now now now.

Id driven.... don't know about the Id? Freud.
Blue Chip is offline Find More Posts by Blue Chip
Old May 31, 2012, 11:54 AM
United States, FL, St Petersburg
Joined Jun 2006
61 Posts
Man you just bury yourself, don't even open that can about free DLs, so many are owed out from the recommend a friend get a REC. free program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post

I've seen Mike help folks out many a time when he didnt' have to. Perhaps those 'newbies' to the thread haven't seen that...so they just jump out at things without background info. YES...I WILL defend Mike on those as I know and have seen that his intention IS NOT to rip anyone off. I can image Mike's been ripped off his 'customers' and has kept going because 'it was the right thing to do'.

southern180 is offline Find More Posts by southern180
Old May 31, 2012, 11:59 AM
FPV nut
Sorrento, FL
Joined Nov 2010
681 Posts
The comments about the wifey finding RC parts and how you avoid her busting you for your purchases jut cracks me up. My wife could care less about me buying RC parts and I STILL find myself kinda, not mentioning my purchases. At the very most, I will tell her that I bought $135 in parts at Graves today. The reality is, I usually mark it down about 50% when I disclose my sickness.
traderdmb is offline Find More Posts by traderdmb
Old May 31, 2012, 12:01 PM
Honey Badger
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2005
1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by traderdmb View Post
The comments about the wifey finding RC parts and how you avoid her busting you for your purchases jut cracks me up. My wife could care less about me buying RC parts and I STILL find myself kinda, not mentioning my purchases. At the very most, I will tell her that I bought $135 in parts at Graves today. The reality is, I usually mark it down about 50% when I disclose my sickness.
Shouldn't you be in the garage building?
Blue Chip is offline Find More Posts by Blue Chip