HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2012, 11:38 AM
FPV FTW!!
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Oct 2011
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloner View Post
Got a Question, got my DL setup, doing range checks with the dummy plug get 130 paces before the first sign of FS, then put the antenna on gets 1.5 miles max. Is it the antenna, setup, distance between components? It on a cust dji quad with a long frame. Looks like the tbs discovery but has wires, not pcb.

Got a few more days to salvage from vacation of I can sort it out. Thanks
Are you getting 1.5 miles on the ground with the antenna? Or in the air
Rexnoobs247 is offline Find More Posts by Rexnoobs247
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2012, 12:22 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techmeister View Post
To all who may know,
Can i use TS's UHF booster to increase the range of my DL?
Not legally. The max power for radio contol is 1W. The TS booster is more than that...2W or 7W or something. You can also do 150mph down the highway to get home faster....until the cops catch you and give you that nice, big, ticket.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2012, 12:25 PM
Team Higher Than The Clouds
United States, NY, New York
Joined May 2012
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Not legally. The max power for radio contol is 1W. The TS booster is more than that...2W or 7W or something. You can also do 150mph down the highway to get home faster....until the cops catch you and give you that nice, big, ticket.
Thanks, im going to stay within the law. . . . . . . .for now.
P.S. That was probably on the Ham test wasn't it
Techmeister is offline Find More Posts by Techmeister
Old May 24, 2012, 12:28 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,882 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, im going to stay within the law. . . . . . . .for now.
P.S. That was probably on the Ham test wasn't it
Why, Yes, yes it was on the test. You can still buy Blue's booster though...just don't go around talking about using it.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2012, 12:40 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,793 Posts
HAHA :-) Classic!
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old May 24, 2012, 01:06 PM
Joined May 2012
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Chip (Yesterday @ 2:41) View Post
Mike will be on very shortly to update all of us....
Ok now somebody tell me what happened to this?
Old May 24, 2012, 01:13 PM
Honey Badger
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2005
1,814 Posts
Quote:
Ok now somebody tell me what happened to this?
From the looks of it- he didn't come back to the topic as soon as I thought he would.

What's up? What do you want to know?
Blue Chip is offline Find More Posts by Blue Chip
Old May 24, 2012, 01:48 PM
Registered Abuser
Joined Nov 2010
573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Chip View Post
From the looks of it- he didn't come back to the topic as soon as I thought he would.

Updates!
lostheli is offline Find More Posts by lostheli
Old May 24, 2012, 01:48 PM
Joined May 2012
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Chip View Post

Ok thanks for the reply. Well you said earlier he would come one for a status update, that's all i want to know.
Old May 24, 2012, 01:57 PM
Honey Badger
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2005
1,814 Posts
Quote:
Ok thanks for the reply. Well you said earlier he would come one for a status update, that's all i want to know.
Store is still closed. When he and I spoke yesterday he indicated that he was about to open sales back up...

He shared a bit more insight as well - and simply that there is a component of the new systems that is software dependent - this way the user can upgrade their own systems according to the firmware they have (basically makes new equipment compatible with old via software updates). The programming is the last piece of this - and he wants to be sure that everything is flawless before sending a bunch of units out.

Where we left it yesterday was that he has a pretty good idea as to when he will open sales up and start shipping again - but that's not for me to share. Things can be going along perfectly and you can hit a snag / something unexpected that throws you off of your initial timeline.

I don't think it's my place to share all of the details of the conversation we had yesterday - ergo - Mike will share as he feels appropriate. My impression was that he would have come on much sooner - that's all there is to it. I assumed incorrectly.

Trust me - Mike will make the announcement. It's not like he's trying to conceal his business.
Old May 24, 2012, 02:38 PM
..in a Johnny Cash voice.
Canada, NS, Beaver Bank
Joined Aug 2010
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexnoobs247 View Post
Heres the thing: A lot of RC pilots don't like FPV or FPV pilots, thats why I don't fly at any AMA field... ever. And I don't ask about it at hobby shops because they look at me weird and ask why I would need a VTx on an RC plane. Or tell me I'm ruining their hobby.

Heres another thing: There is definitely a group of FPV pilots that don't like it when other FPV pilots use UHF systems. Don't know why, probably too dumb to understand it, or too poor to get one.

So don't worry about all the little nuances of how and why the DL works. If somebody asks you just tell them it works on Dragon Magic and then fly your plane 20 miles away and blow their mind. If they don't like it, who cares.
Bravo.. There's a lot of truth and experience in this single post. My experiences match.
Vintabilly_NS is offline Find More Posts by Vintabilly_NS
Old May 24, 2012, 03:04 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Jan 2012
128 Posts
The reason I want to know is there's repeaters in my area that are part of a national system that runs all over the country.
Anyway, I'm happy taking your advice - I've been studying a bit for the HAM test but I'm only about half way through the material - I'm studying engineering at uni and exams are 2 weeks away so not a whole lot of time...
Maybe I'll just find a local HAM and get him to tune to the national repeater frequency, switch on the DL, and see what happens.
The problem with such a small country is that everyone seems to know everyone...

Thanks

Quote:
I really don't think it matters how and when it hops freqs, I have no idea and I'm not worried about it. All that matters is that its operating on an amateur radio freq, so you do need a license, especially if theres a potential that your causing interference on someone elses radio transmissions.

Heres the thing: A lot of RC pilots don't like FPV or FPV pilots, thats why I don't fly at any AMA field... ever. And I don't ask about it at hobby shops because they look at me weird and ask why I would need a VTx on an RC plane. Or tell me I'm ruining their hobby.

Heres another thing: There is definitely a group of FPV pilots that don't like it when other FPV pilots use UHF systems. Don't know why, probably too dumb to understand it, or too poor to get one.

So don't worry about all the little nuances of how and why the DL works. If somebody asks you just tell them it works on Dragon Magic and then fly your plane 20 miles away and blow their mind. If they don't like it, who cares.

On a serious note, I would definitely get a HAM license, its just a really cheap and easy way to avoid fines and trouble.
basti is offline Find More Posts by basti
Old May 24, 2012, 03:48 PM
Money Shot
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Apr 2010
903 Posts
Quote:
Are you getting 1.5 miles on the ground with the antenna? Or in the air
It's getting 1.5 miles out my car window with an antenna. The dipole that. Ame with it. Tried 4 others from sanders to turnstyle and others like stock. Tried different tx too, both that came with it. Nothing seems to change it. Thought when I got 130 yards wasn't gonna have to look back, but fail safe came on. Or far into a flight so grid it on the ground

I'm in the middle of a few proving grounds. Is there a chance there screwing up the signal? I've seen some weird stuff last time down then 6 f-18's blasted by 100' off the deck
Kloner is offline Find More Posts by Kloner
Old May 24, 2012, 04:54 PM
Honey Badger
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2005
1,814 Posts
I think on the ground with my TX in my garage (block home) and driving through my neighborhood I get just under a mile before my first FS.

I am having some trouble understanding what you are trying to say... 130 yard ground test is IMPRESSIVE. You must be getting interference from somewhere - I suspect the possible layout of your plane. Can you post pictures of the layout and include all components?
Old May 24, 2012, 05:08 PM
Joined May 2012
168 Posts
LOOK WHAT I FOUND!!!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=962139