SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 24, 2012, 09:22 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chairwolf View Post
I understand. I guess what I'm saying is that regardless of Mike's ordering system, the resellers create the risk of over-selling and creating a brand new waiting list, whether it hits Mikes sales system or not.

Just thinking through this. Not trying to be a pain.
No Bob...you're just being a pain!!! Actually I agree...pre-orders can be a scary thing...seen it happen with the Open Pilot CC boards for multi-copters...they resellers don't do pre-orders anymore cause they don't know exactly how many they'll get...danger's in selling more than what may be available. Hopefully there'll be no problems and everyone will get their DL system and be happy flying long range in comfort.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2012, 09:24 AM
I think it'll work this time!!
399 feet above Roanoke, VA
Joined Jan 2007
3,461 Posts
OK, here's the BIG question - when will sales open up again? That's when the race to get a V2 system begins!!!
Chairwolf is offline Find More Posts by Chairwolf
Old May 24, 2012, 09:25 AM
Lame-As The real alternative!
Bulli, Australia
Joined Nov 2006
4,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Chip View Post
The way I understand it - the ordering system will not allow orders that exceed stock. Under your scenario - depending on the order in which people place their orders with Mike - even though Re-seller 1 and 2 may have pre-sold - their orders may not go through becasue of the inventory levels available.

Of course - this is speculation on my part. My assumption is that the new ordering system at DL will be like magnets.... just works.
For this to work each reseller would have to place orders individually. Realistically we know they will buy in bulk.
narcas is offline Find More Posts by narcas
Old May 24, 2012, 09:27 AM
Joined Jan 2007
3,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
No Bob...you're just being a pain!!! Actually I agree...pre-orders can be a scary thing...seen it happen with the Open Pilot CC boards for multi-copters...they resellers don't do pre-orders anymore cause they don't know exactly how many they'll get...danger's in selling more than what may be available. Hopefully there'll be no problems and everyone will get their DL system and be happy flying long range in comfort.
That's what I'm saying. It's a game of musical chairs. Somebody somewhere may not get a seat, and then we're back to the same situation.

If I were in this situation, I would ask the resellers NOT to take pre-orders. But that's just me!
Old May 24, 2012, 09:31 AM
Joined Jan 2007
3,461 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by narcas View Post
For this to work each reseller would have to place orders individually. Realistically we know they will buy in bulk.
Of course. And don't forget the FREE SYSTEM offer, which I assume they will qualify for. They order X systems and get Y free systems. Now the problem grows exponentially.

Not trying to be a doom-sayer, just thinking realistically how supply and demand on this product works.

WARNING! WARNING, Will Robinson!!! Orders Approaching!!! WARNING! WARNING!
Last edited by Chairwolf; May 24, 2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old May 24, 2012, 10:03 AM
FPV FTW!!
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Oct 2011
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by basti View Post
A while back I asked about the frequencies that DL operates on - I got the answer 431 - 435 Mhz.
I just got off the phone with a local HAM radio club member (I want to get my licence at some point) and he said it would probably be a good idea to find out EXACTLTY what the DL does in terms of RF i.e. the particular channels it hops on, and the length of time between hops.
Does anyone know who to contact about this?
I know it sounds really pedantic and it is, but after getting a bit of a bashing from a bunch of FPV pilots here (both for flying above 400ft and not having a radio licence) I'd rather am myself with some knowledge.

Thanks

I really don't think it matters how and when it hops freqs, I have no idea and I'm not worried about it. All that matters is that its operating on an amateur radio freq, so you do need a license, especially if theres a potential that your causing interference on someone elses radio transmissions.

Heres the thing: A lot of RC pilots don't like FPV or FPV pilots, thats why I don't fly at any AMA field... ever. And I don't ask about it at hobby shops because they look at me weird and ask why I would need a VTx on an RC plane. Or tell me I'm ruining their hobby.

Heres another thing: There is definitely a group of FPV pilots that don't like it when other FPV pilots use UHF systems. Don't know why, probably too dumb to understand it, or too poor to get one.

So don't worry about all the little nuances of how and why the DL works. If somebody asks you just tell them it works on Dragon Magic and then fly your plane 20 miles away and blow their mind. If they don't like it, who cares.

On a serious note, I would definitely get a HAM license, its just a really cheap and easy way to avoid fines and trouble.
Rexnoobs247 is offline Find More Posts by Rexnoobs247
Old May 24, 2012, 10:19 AM
Team Higher Than The Clouds
United States, NY, New York
Joined May 2012
168 Posts
To all who may know,
Can i use TS's UHF booster to increase the range of my DL?
Techmeister is offline Find More Posts by Techmeister
Old May 24, 2012, 10:31 AM
Joined May 2012
545 Posts
Yes Techmeister you can, but how much range do you need?!
Ascended is offline Find More Posts by Ascended
Old May 24, 2012, 10:36 AM
hey whats burning?
United States, FL, Vero Beach
Joined Oct 2007
735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techmeister View Post
To all who may know,
Can i use TS's UHF booster to increase the range of my DL?
Why would you need to?? There's people flying 10 miles... Isn't that enough or are you trying to fly across the ocean?
metalbender4by is online now Find More Posts by metalbender4by
Old May 24, 2012, 11:03 AM
Joined May 2012
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbender4by View Post
Why would you need to?? There's people flying 10 miles... Isn't that enough or are you trying to fly across the ocean?
No, i am not flying across the ocean. The reason i need the booster is because i am flying in very high RF environments.
Old May 24, 2012, 11:14 AM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbender4by View Post
Now there's a thought.

Who's going to be thr first to Cross the English Channel "flown with Dragon Link"

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old May 24, 2012, 11:24 AM
Honey Badger
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2005
1,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techmeister View Post
No, i am not flying across the ocean. The reason i need the booster is because i am flying in very high RF environments.
There are people that fly every major city around the US with little if any issues. Miami, Atlanta, New York, LA, etc...

You'll probably be fine. If you want I will gladly sell the 7W booster that I have from Flytron though!
Blue Chip is offline Find More Posts by Blue Chip
Old May 24, 2012, 12:22 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jul 2011
269 Posts
I've been 9 miles out with my DL and never had a failsafe. But I did have a failsafe the other day while up in the clouds. I was losing video and DL at 5500 feet up. I couldn't figure out what the hell was going on. I lost video for 1-2 minutes. Ok, maybe it was only 10-15 seconds but it felt like forever. During that time I was getting failsafes from my DL. Once everything cleared up I realized at the time of the outages I was 5500 feet directly above my GS.
cabster101 is offline Find More Posts by cabster101
RCG Plus Member
Old May 24, 2012, 12:31 PM
Joined May 2012
168 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Chip View Post
There are people that fly every major city around the US with little if any issues. Miami, Atlanta, New York, LA, etc...

You'll probably be fine. If you want I will gladly sell the 7W booster that I have from Flytron though!
How much are you asking?
Old May 24, 2012, 12:36 PM
Aerial DP
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Apr 2010
912 Posts
Got a Question, got my DL setup, doing range checks with the dummy plug get 130 paces before the first sign of FS, then put the antenna on gets 1.5 miles max. Is it the antenna, setup, distance between components? It on a cust dji quad with a long frame. Looks like the tbs discovery but has wires, not pcb.

Got a few more days to salvage from vacation of I can sort it out. Thanks
Kloner is offline Find More Posts by Kloner