Old Dec 14, 2011, 01:33 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrrps View Post
Frank,
i'm amazed that such a powerful VTX doesn't create any interference of some sort, contrarily to what I read before.
That's a good point.
Do you use a seperate battery to power the VTX ?
That is a very sore point. I dont usually use a separate battery, so I am not used to monitoring one. I added a separate 3s 1000 recently to run my FPV gear and UBEC. Wanted to see how it affected the video. After about 40 minutes flying i noticed that the Aux battery was at 9.3v and dropping rapidly and I was > 1 mile from home. I quickly woke up and headed home as fast as I could, all the time watching the V dropping rapidly, just waiting for the video to drop out.
It went flat about half a mile away so I lost video but still had RTH. This worked until i regained visual and took back control. I almost pulled off the save, but the battery went totally flat and took the Ubec with it. Plane crashed 500m away.
So NO I DONT USE A SEPARATE BATTERY ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers
Frank
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2011, 02:48 AM
Le Havre, FRANCE
Joined Feb 2007
1,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
That is a very sore point. I dont usually use a separate battery, so I am not used to monitoring one. I added a separate 3s 1000 recently to run my FPV gear and UBEC. Wanted to see how it affected the video. After about 40 minutes flying i noticed that the Aux battery was at 9.3v and dropping rapidly and I was > 1 mile from home. I quickly woke up and headed home as fast as I could, all the time watching the V dropping rapidly, just waiting for the video to drop out.
It went flat about half a mile away so I lost video but still had RTH. This worked until i regained visual and took back control. I almost pulled off the save, but the battery went totally flat and took the Ubec with it. Plane crashed 500m away.
So NO I DONT USE A SEPARATE BATTERY ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers
Frank
Wow, that sounds scary.
The reason I asked is because my downlink video is terrible, I got lots of interferences and at times only noise for a few long seconds, I'm running 4S with a 12V DC regulator for the video system.
I suspect noise from the main lipo pack that's why I want to try running a seperate 3S pack for the 5.8Ghz video system.
My 900 Mhz video system doesn't have this problem, go figure.
lrrps is offline Find More Posts by lrrps
Old Dec 14, 2011, 06:15 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
ommadawn,

That's what I was trying to tell Trappy some time back, that there are advantages to using two batteries.

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
Old Dec 14, 2011, 06:34 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,814 Posts
Well Daniel, the only advantage I can see from this is I now have more room in my shed.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 06:44 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,814 Posts
Hi Gaston,
I also use a home made LC filter on the 12v supply. This probably helps. I am running 3s and dont use a regulator. When I get a chance I will post the video of the aux battery discharging and the resultant events. Its interesting to see the V dropping. The camera quits first, but OSD still displays on a blank screen and the VTX still works right down to around 7v before either OSD or VTX quits. Obviously the crash which happened 2 mins later didnt get recorded.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 06:44 AM
Joined Aug 2005
4,093 Posts
ommadawn,

And an excuse to buy more toys, stuff I mean.

Daniel
Daniel Wee is offline Find More Posts by Daniel Wee
Old Dec 14, 2011, 06:49 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,814 Posts
I dont need an excuse! This week my Servo City gearbox antenna tracker, new Head plays, Rob38's Ski mask for the HPs, and a bonus DL rx all turned up in separate parcels. My wife thinks I have a deal with Santa. Ho Ho Ho.
Frank
Old Dec 14, 2011, 07:03 AM
KJ4YYJ
Saint Petersburg FL
Joined Jun 2009
705 Posts
Todd: what VTx Are you using?

Birds Eye Video of Mountain Goats in a Winter Wonderland with GoPro Hero2 and DragonLink FPV

Thanks
EugeneFlorida is online now Find More Posts by EugeneFlorida
Old Dec 14, 2011, 07:30 AM
Le Havre, FRANCE
Joined Feb 2007
1,875 Posts
Quote:
Hi Gaston,
I also use a home made LC filter on the 12v supply. This probably helps. I am running 3s and dont use a regulator. When I get a chance I will post the video of the aux battery discharging and the resultant events. Its interesting to see the V dropping. The camera quits first, but OSD still displays on a blank screen and the VTX still works right down to around 7v before either OSD or VTX quits. Obviously the crash which happened 2 mins later didnt get recorded.
Frank,

What are the values of the coil & capacitor of your home made filter, I might be interested.
Thanks.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 07:43 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,814 Posts
I dont know what the inductor was as it was an off the shelf item that was unmarked. It was a toroid wrapped with a heap of turns of quite heavy enameled wire. Inductor in series with (+). I used a 1000uF 24v electrolytic cap across the supply, and sealed the lot in heatshrink. I will see if I can get a pic of the inductor later. Its past bedtime now and I desperately need my beauty sleep.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 08:00 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,117 Posts
Quote:
That is a very sore point. I dont usually use a separate battery.............So NO I DONT USE A SEPARATE BATTERY ANYMORE!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers
Frank
I always use just ONE battery also Having to monitor and charge 2 seperate batteries is just unneeded extra weight, overly complicated, a pain in the ass, and really increases the risk for the type of crash you had . I set my ESC to cut out the motor long before the battery is dead. I can fly for another hour once the motor cuts out.

One battery will work very well ! If needed, some simple filtering will solve any interference problems form motor / ESC.

Mike
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Last edited by JettPilot; Dec 14, 2011 at 08:06 AM.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 08:04 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,117 Posts
Quote:

Its not always true that gliders need to be light. Thermals can be very strong, and a higher wing loading adds stability. Onboard stabilization like RVOSD G5 makes it easier to thermal as well.
Fullsize actually carry ballast to improve L/D at speed.
Cheers and Seasons Greetings,
Frank
I just added 5 ounces of lead ballast to the nose of my glider, so I hope you are right. This one has the wing loading of a Jet If it test flys well, I will take the lead off and lengthen the nose to correct the CG problem. I am starting to find that most gliders need a longer nose balance without putting a bunch of lead in.

Mike
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 14, 2011, 08:27 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
17,892 Posts
I fly a two battery system...never had an issue. My 3S 1000mAh Vtx battery easily outlasts my 5000mAh main battery on 30 minute flights. I can usually get two flights on the one VTx battery with no issues. The VTx battery powers my DOSD and VTx. My camera is a GoPro with internal battery. My main pack powers the motor, Rx, and servos.
Vantasstic is offline Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2011, 08:59 AM
Le Havre, FRANCE
Joined Feb 2007
1,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
I always use just ONE battery also Having to monitor and charge 2 seperate batteries is just unneeded extra weight, overly complicated, a pain in the ass, and really increases the risk for the type of crash you had . I set my ESC to cut out the motor long before the battery is dead. I can fly for another hour once the motor cuts out.

One battery will work very well ! If needed, some simple filtering will solve any interference problems form motor / ESC.

Mike
Mike, what kind of filtering do you use on your plane, can I copy?
Here's the video I was talking about, not very nice, huh?

VID0010 (10 min 38 sec)
Old Dec 14, 2011, 09:23 AM
FPV
United States, MA, Sandwich
Joined Dec 2010
63 Posts
I moved my attention grabbing message to the next page because I figured he would probably miss it at the end of this page
atopcu is offline Find More Posts by atopcu
Last edited by atopcu; Dec 14, 2011 at 09:48 AM.