HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:42 PM
Joined May 2012
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysconfused View Post
Ok I am having the same issue as eyeinthesky. I hooks the supplied trainer port plug, I cannot get the receiver to make anything function. The voltage on the radio is dropping steadily as I sit and watch it until i get low power warning. I have stopped everything until I can get an idea as to why this is happening. Any answers back on the issue?
The lights on the Rx blink: GREEN-rapidly, BLUE-rapidly RED:-steady on. I have followed the bind processes step by step in the manual. I have done everything else the manual calls for. At least 2 times. So far teh radio loses power fast and the whole system is unresponsive.
* Which radio do you use
* What cable are you using
* Have you checked the polarity (unlike startrek, reversing the polarity does not make the shields work better)
* What sort of battery is in your radio
* What is powering the dlink
* Have you tried powering the DLink from a lipo (use a servo Y cable)
Ascended is offline Find More Posts by Ascended
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:43 PM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
What a hateful tyrant. I hear ReadyMade RC are hiring.
Yes, he is a taskmaster. I would love to work in an RC type business. Mostly for access to all the cool stuff! lol

I have been passing the time waiting for things by designing air frames. I have multirotor designs (a few I built) and flying wings. I am working on another "wing" design but it wont be built until after the current wing is completed and flown at least once.
alwaysconfused is offline Find More Posts by alwaysconfused
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:44 PM
Joined May 2012
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
that's a totally legit question. Personally i'd love if more people took the time to take videos narrating their setup. I'll likely do one on my hex shortly since i get great range out of it, and then one on my super sky surfer since it's non-uhf so far
The SkyHunter Manual will have full install instructions for DragonLink.

Why not make a video? Receivers have been going to tech videos recently!
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:49 PM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
Quote:
* Which radio do you use
* What cable are you using The Futaba cable that i ordered
* Have you checked the polarity (unlike startrek, reversing the polarity does not make the shields work better) I have not done anything to the polarity. I am taking it as the signal wires are next to the board.
* What sort of battery is in your radio My radio is using 5 AA batteries. I took the NIHM pack out and so far the AA's do not run down like the pack did. 6v is what the indicator says on full batteries.
* What is powering the dlink The Tx is using power from the radio and the Rx is using power from a 3s
* Have you tried powering the DLink from a lipo (use a servo Y cable) I will see if I can do that. The brown and red wires power the DL so I can just use a 2s and wire it right to them and not power it through the radio?
I will go to the local store and get a small lipo for the DL and try that tomorrow.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:50 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,921 Posts
Quote:
The SkyHunter Manual will have full install instructions for DragonLink.

Why not make a video? Receivers have been going to tech videos recently!
agreed, honestly i've found most range issues are simply due to placement of gear on the flying rig itself. Some things are non-intuitive, such as ... my signal going through the metal chassis of my tx as i'm flying

It's common sense yes, but we're all eager to get our gear up in the air and sometimes we just don't review our own setups!

I'm honestly totally stoked about getting my DL (which i've had in a box for a month and a half now) installed on my super sky surfer. And yes, i will do a narrated video and post it here and compare it to non-DL tx gear, just so everyone knows what the difference is
CrashAffinity is online now Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:12 AM
Joined May 2012
401 Posts
Quote:
I will go to the local store and get a small lipo for the DL and try that tomorrow.
Ah, well in your case I think we might have found the issue. The DragonLink needs 6.5v or so to generate enough voltage/amperage to run the RF module (which is 5v). At full power, a DragonLink TX will pull 600mA or so mA off it's 5V line IIRC. From a 6V battery thats still pretty much 600mA. Yes, NiMH's can supply this - but the DragonLink needs more voltage. Those fully charged NiMH's will quickly drop to the point you're seriously losing range before total shutdown - not something you want!

Do you have a spare 3s battery you can try? A 2-3s battery is pretty fantastic for the TX. At 3S, a 380mah battery will last you an hour of full power tx.

Also, on your RX is that 3S going straight into your RX, or is it going through a UBEC first?? You can probably get away with a 2S directly connected to the RX, but 3S is going to generate some serious heat (and likely make servos very unhappy).
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:30 AM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
Quote:
Ah, well in your case I think we might have found the issue. The DragonLink needs 6.5v or so to generate enough voltage/amperage to run the RF module (which is 5v). At full power, a DragonLink TX will pull 600mA or so mA off it's 5V line IIRC. From a 6V battery thats still pretty much 600mA. Yes, NiMH's can supply this - but the DragonLink needs more voltage. Those fully charged NiMH's will quickly drop to the point you're seriously losing range before total shutdown - not something you want!

Do you have a spare 3s battery you can try? A 2-3s battery is pretty fantastic for the TX. At 3S, a 380mah battery will last you an hour of full power tx.

Also, on your RX is that 3S going straight into your RX, or is it going through a UBEC first?? You can probably get away with a 2S directly connected to the RX, but 3S is going to generate some serious heat (and likely make servos very unhappy).
I seem to have misplaced my BEC so it is running through my eagletree logger from the BATT side to the ESC side and the power coming from the ESC is powering the Rx coming off the 3s.
I can try a 3s connection with out the ESC bringing the power.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:34 AM
Joined May 2012
401 Posts
Ah, the ESC has a BEC in it, so if you're just powering it from the servo lead on the ESC, no problems!

edit: just wanted to clarify that my suggestion of using 2S/3S directly was for the transmitter only.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:13 AM
Joined Dec 2012
287 Posts
Quote:
Ah, the ESC has a BEC in it, so if you're just powering it from the servo lead on the ESC, no problems!

edit: just wanted to clarify that my suggestion of using 2S/3S directly was for the transmitter only.
The transmitter now has 11.5v out of a 3s 5amp battery.

The batteries are all at 11.5-11.8 volts so they are still holding a charge.

So far I am still in the same situation.

I think I have reached my level of patience for the night. Thanks for the assistance.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:20 AM
Joined May 2012
401 Posts
Quote:
The transmitter now has 11.5v out of a 3s 5amp battery.

The batteries are all at 11.5-11.8 volts so they are still holding a charge.

So far I am still in the same situation.

I think I have reached my level of patience for the night. Thanks for the assistance.
Same situation being your transmitters voltage is still rapidly dropping?

Or same situation that the TX isnt talking to the rx properly?

Or both?

If the first... try the TX with just the cable plugged in, no dragonlink.

Second.. Rebind. If you calibrated before, calibrate again for just 30-60seconds before binding. Running the TX at low voltage may have screwed up the calibration.

If you've done all this, can you create a quick video with the TX and RX in view, showing the LEDs of the TX, and the LEDs of the RX?
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:01 AM
Aerial Operator
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Feb 2012
594 Posts
Hey Mike,

Could you please check PM I sent you/

Thanks,
swartzracing is offline Find More Posts by swartzracing
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:08 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,033 Posts
alwaysconfused hope you get your equipment up and running soon.
i posted this sometime ago how i powered my DL TX off my radio's batt.

I set up my LVC alarm in the radio to 7.2v just to be on the safe side.
{Not For Weekly Contest}

Dragon Link Update (12 min 44 sec)
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TF to DOSD wiring.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 05:42 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
9,601 Posts
Quote:
Yes, he is a taskmaster. I would love to work in an RC type business. Mostly for access to all the cool stuff! lol

Working in RC is good, and its bad. I fly FPV much less than I used to since getting into this business It is real work !!! The good part is that most people here are really nice and just great to deal with.

Mike
JettPilot is online now Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:34 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
you suck! i keep finding myself 10 steps behind you in everything!

fine... you win... i'll just take pointers from you
lol... this is just my "lunch break" plane... Im still working on my Super Sky Surfer for Long range... Just got my 1500mw 1.2Ghz VTX on board... some cool logos... and now setting up DOSD and DL.

The little wing in the video actually has DragonLink and FrSky on board... I wanted to hear the telemetry of the FrSky to test 2.4ghz performance with proximity flying but not risk losing signal so the DL was installed as well.

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 06:36 AM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,485 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
alwaysconfused hope you get your equipment up and running soon.
i posted this sometime ago how i powered my DL TX off my radio's batt.
Nice hand warmer setup Eastcoast!
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member