HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 07, 2011, 02:22 AM
Eccentricus Magnus
Joined May 2006
841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark hitchman View Post
I flew my Zephyr the other day and noticed the RSSI was really low and it went into failsafe at 2.4km. This was my 2nd FPV flight.
You might think that is bad but I discovered that when I made the antenna for the Dragonlink receiver I used a female SMA plug, the receiver is also female Duh. So when you think about it, 2.4km/1.5miles without the antenna connected aint too shabby

This is video after I redid the antenna plug with a little bit of the previous flight for RSSI comparison.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR6KG7mospU

Mark

Congratulations on getting the receiver working properly. nice to have a solid RSSI at over 1.5 miles.

The "bouncing" looks to be a shake from the airframe at certain speeds. it does not appear to be as strong at slower speeds (30-35kph) and seems to get stronger as the speed increases (really noticeable above 60kph). You are probably getting a resonance from the motor/prop and the airframe. My large UAV, with a 55cc gas engine, has definite airframe resonance that makes the camera appear to corkscrew slightly at certain engine speeds, due to the inherent imbalance of a 1-cylinder engine, and it looks like you are getting the same effect at higher speeds/prop rpm.

A couple of fixes. . make sure the camera is hard mounted, so it can't move around if the resonance is making the camera itself shake, and then check the airframe for flexibility. Less flexible will equal less camera movement.

KrisW
KrisW is offline Find More Posts by KrisW
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2011, 02:46 AM
Registered Loser :)
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wee View Post
mark hitchman,

If it's any consolation, that happened to me once too, except that mine was the TX antenna was broken. Managed to get out to 4km and back before I noticed the problem. (Disclaimer: This does not mean that you should try this or assume that you can get these kind of distances without antenna attached.)

Daniel
Hey Daniel, long time no see
Did you notice I am still using my original DOSD+ V1, the perfect osd for a wing, I like the text colour too.

Mark
mark hitchman is online now Find More Posts by mark hitchman
Old Dec 07, 2011, 02:52 AM
Registered Loser :)
New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
1,928 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisW View Post
Congratulations on getting the receiver working properly. nice to have a solid RSSI at over 1.5 miles.

The "bouncing" looks to be a shake from the airframe at certain speeds. it does not appear to be as strong at slower speeds (30-35kph) and seems to get stronger as the speed increases (really noticeable above 60kph). You are probably getting a resonance from the motor/prop and the airframe. My large UAV, with a 55cc gas engine, has definite airframe resonance that makes the camera appear to corkscrew slightly at certain engine speeds, due to the inherent imbalance of a 1-cylinder engine, and it looks like you are getting the same effect at higher speeds/prop rpm.

A couple of fixes. . make sure the camera is hard mounted, so it can't move around if the resonance is making the camera itself shake, and then check the airframe for flexibility. Less flexible will equal less camera movement.

KrisW
Hi KrisW, I have the camera hot glued to the top, maybe it's flexing with the wind pushing on the camera, I will try bracing it and see if it helps.

Thanks

Mark
mark hitchman is online now Find More Posts by mark hitchman
Old Dec 07, 2011, 04:33 AM
Brazil, RJ, Rio de Janeiro
Joined Apr 2010
21 Posts
Instalação em Spektrum

Preciso saber mais detalhes da instalação no Spektrum. http://www.terranova.net/~winger/RCV...tion/JR/JR.htm não diz se Dragonlink liga direto nos fios ou nos pinos, e se ao ligar Dragonlink os fios devem ser isolados. Grato
edsrrrr is offline Find More Posts by edsrrrr
Old Dec 07, 2011, 04:48 AM
Le Havre, FRANCE
Joined Feb 2007
1,875 Posts
I was out of town since monday, just got back home and guess what, the mailman rang the bell 10mn later to deliver my DL.
Thanks for the lightning fast shipping Mike, and no extra customs fee on top of that.
BTW what are theses 2 resistors that come with the TX ?
lrrps is offline Find More Posts by lrrps
Last edited by lrrps; Dec 07, 2011 at 05:19 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2011, 05:18 AM
Le Havre, FRANCE
Joined Feb 2007
1,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsrrrr View Post
Preciso saber mais detalhes da instalação no Spektrum. http://www.terranova.net/~winger/RCV...tion/JR/JR.htm não diz se Dragonlink liga direto nos fios ou nos pinos, e se ao ligar Dragonlink os fios devem ser isolados. Grato
English por favor.
Old Dec 07, 2011, 06:51 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark hitchman View Post
I flew my Zephyr the other day and noticed the RSSI was really low and it went into failsafe at 2.4km. This was my 2nd FPV flight.
You might think that is bad but I discovered that when I made the antenna for the Dragonlink receiver I used a female SMA plug, the receiver is also female Duh. So when you think about it, 2.4km/1.5miles without the antenna connected aint too shabby

Mark
Hi Mark,

Thank you for the test results, as a weight saving measure for both Mikrokopters and airplanes, I will now start shipping the Dagon Link system without antennas Since we now know it will outperform a standard RC system even without antennas

Mike
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 07, 2011, 06:52 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsrrrr View Post
Ola Edsrrr,

Can you remove the back of your RC Transmitter, and take a picture of the inside, and we will show you where to connect the Dragon Link wires.

Grato

Mike
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 07, 2011, 06:54 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrrps View Post
I was out of town since monday, just got back home and guess what, the mailman rang the bell 10mn later to deliver my DL.
Thanks for the lightning fast shipping Mike, and no extra customs fee on top of that.
BTW what are theses 2 resistors that come with the TX ?
Salut Lrrps,

These two resistors are needed in some installations to Futaba RC Transmitters, when you use the Pins from the RF module to connect to the Dragon Link. If you do not need them, just save them in case you ever might change RC transmitters.

Mike
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 07, 2011, 07:19 AM
Le Havre, FRANCE
Joined Feb 2007
1,875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
Salut Lrrps,

These two resistors are needed in some installations to Futaba RC Transmitters, when you use the Pins from the RF module to connect to the Dragon Link. If you do not need them, just save them in case you ever might change RC transmitters.

Mike
I have a DX7, someone recommend me to connect a 100K resistor between RVOSD and Dlink RSSI output.
Old Dec 07, 2011, 07:32 AM
The Flying Circus
Adelaide South Australia
Joined Sep 2007
3,793 Posts
Mike can you please advise what we can expect regarding firmware upgrades to make the DL compatible with others? Is it the Tx or Rx that is changed? Can we do it at home or does it have to go back to you?
Cheers
Frank
ommadawn is offline Find More Posts by ommadawn
Old Dec 07, 2011, 07:46 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ommadawn View Post
Mike can you please advise what we can expect regarding firmware upgrades to make the DL compatible with others? Is it the Tx or Rx that is changed? Can we do it at home or does it have to go back to you?
Cheers
Frank
Hi Frank,

We are actively working on this, I am actually doing some testing on this very thing today. Firmware will be soon, and it will be for both the TX and RX. I will have to do this here, but I will make it easy and fast for everyone. Here is how it will work, I will send a new Dragon Link, when the new one with update arrives, you send the old one back. This way no one is without thier Dragon Link, and no waits for it to cross in the mail.

Mike
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 07, 2011, 08:13 AM
Le Havre, FRANCE
Joined Feb 2007
1,875 Posts
I always fly FPV while seated with the radio TX on my lap, now is it safe with the DL.
I don't intend to make children anymore, just wanted to make sure there's no health hazard with this powerful device.
Old Dec 07, 2011, 08:56 AM
Moldova
Joined Jun 2010
1,044 Posts
Quote:
Hi Frank,

We are actively working on this, I am actually doing some testing on this very thing today. Firmware will be soon, and it will be for both the TX and RX. I will have to do this here, but I will make it easy and fast for everyone. Here is how it will work, I will send a new Dragon Link, when the new one with update arrives, you send the old one back. This way no one is without thier Dragon Link, and no waits for it to cross in the mail.

Mike
Very good news Mike.
Keep us posted.

Thanks
schumixmd is online now Find More Posts by schumixmd
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2011, 10:11 AM
Ikaruswannab
Joined Sep 2009
967 Posts
Quote:
Hi Frank,

Here is how it will work, I will send a new Dragon Link, when the new one with update arrives, you send the old one back. This way no one is without thier Dragon Link, and no waits for it to cross in the mail.

Mike
That is crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Really glad i went the DL way
teopbako is offline Find More Posts by teopbako