SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:10 PM
Joined Oct 2012
78 Posts
[QUOTE=motofox;23430791]
Quote:
Originally Posted by poinrobe View Post
Hello- I purchased a Dragonlink system from the Dragonlink website on 11/5/12. I am having some issues with it that I need to sort out before I can safely use it. Hopefully you will be able to provide me some guidance. Last week I got around to setting the system up. I installed the Transmitter on a brand new Turnigy 9x radio following the appropriate instructions on your website. I was able to get the Green LED light to come on with out any issues. I then installed the Dragonlink Receiver in my plane following the appropriate Calibration > binding sequence. I was able to Range check the system to over 40 meters without getting failsafe. Solid REd and Blue LED output on receiver. So far so good....

I then went for an initial flight. This is where the story sours. After launching my plane and flying LOS for a few seconds without problems, I lost all control of the plane and it crashed. The elevator servo had "locked" in a nose down position and I couldn't get the plane nose up. Interestingly, this loss of control seemed to coincide with the moment my flying partner turned his recently purchased Dragonlink transmitter on. I suspected that his Dragonlink Transmitter had somehow interfered with my system causing the loss of Radio control. So I collected up my stuff and brought it home to the workshop to try and figure out what happened.

I initially powered up my 9x/Dragonlink Transmitter and turned on my plane and everything seemed fine. I had solid red and blue LEDs on the receiver and appropriate control of the servos. I then turned my friend's dragonlink transmitter on and I immediately noticed that the Blue LED started to flash/blink in a random pattern. I also noticed that the servos would intermittently lock-up similar to what seemed to happen when I crashed my plane.

I then decided to perform the ID change procedure as outlined in your manual. I then recalibrated and then re-bound the receiver closely following your instructions. Unfortunately, I kept having the same thing happen; when the second Dragon transmitter was turned on the receivers Blue LED started to blink/flash in a random pattern.

I then went on to perform the ID change > Calibration> Bind sequence 3 more times, all with identical results until the last time when I noted that the Blue LED is now flashing even without the second transmitter being on.

I am obviously frustrated and puzzled. Please help as I would like to get back to flying and I can not safely use this system in its current state.

Thanks so much, Mark[/QUOTE

Hmm my worst fear, dragon link is frequency hoping spread spectrum so this is not supposed to happen, does anyone else fly with 2 or more dragon link v2 at the same time ?
I'm having the exact same problem as you are with the blinking "BLUE" LED on the DLv2 RX. Mine was right out of the box, brand new never installed. Worked on it all weekend, trying to get a solid "BLUE" LED on the RX. Trying to get a solution here? Not too happy here.

Enrico(Rick)
Rick338 is offline Find More Posts by Rick338
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 04:20 PM
Joined Feb 2012
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettPilot View Post
DRAGON LINK UPDATE

As always, we have plenty of stock, and all shipping is within 24 hours

I have worked the entire weekend, from morning to night on these, but now All upgrades and repairs are done

I am now working on PM's, and any outstanding service items that are in my PM's will be taken care of very quickly !

Mike
How can you say this. I purchased a system and payed it via PayPal tue. 30. oct. 2012 19:31:39 CET (UTC+1) Transaction ID: 5B1028602F319890B

And nothing turned up. - I then SEVERAL times contact Dragonlink with the question of where my item is - but the only thing I get is the automated answer of sept. 17. That you are on vacation. But are shipping more systems than ever.

This is seriously getting very annoying - and I therefore choose to adress this in public. Something that really should be not neccecary.

So please.... get your things in order, and get back with a decent answer.
AirViking is offline Find More Posts by AirViking
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:52 PM
Dragon Link/Labs Engineer
Chesterfield, MO
Joined Nov 2010
701 Posts
This was the last flight my beloved multicopter completed successfully before the crash
GOPR0003 (6 min 44 sec)
chris1seto is offline Find More Posts by chris1seto
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:14 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,480 Posts
Video for the contest.

FPV quadcopter & flying wing flight together! flown with dragonlink (3 min 40 sec)
flohio117 is online now Find More Posts by flohio117
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:05 PM
FPV Pilot
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2007
2,460 Posts
Guys. On the new dragon link receiver i noticed my PPM is now channel 12 however my other channels are incorrect as well.

For JR channel 1 is throttle, 2 aileron, 3 elevator and 4 rudder. 5 is gear. For some reason in PPM mode those channels are not correct. I am using an FY30 system as well.

Anybody know which channels correspond to what?
blueprint is online now Find More Posts by blueprint
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:11 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flohio117 View Post
Awesome! we are going to have to do that again soon!

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:13 PM
Joined Sep 2012
4 Posts
? problem solved?

Quote:
Hello- I purchased a Dragonlink system from the Dragonlink website on 11/5/12. I am having some issues with it that I need to sort out before I can safely use it. Hopefully you will be able to provide me some guidance. Last week I got around to setting the system up. I installed the Transmitter on a brand new Turnigy 9x radio following the appropriate instructions on your website. I was able to get the Green LED light to come on with out any issues. I then installed the Dragonlink Receiver in my plane following the appropriate Calibration > binding sequence. I was able to Range check the system to over 40 meters without getting failsafe. Solid REd and Blue LED output on receiver. So far so good....

I then went for an initial flight. This is where the story sours. After launching my plane and flying LOS for a few seconds without problems, I lost all control of the plane and it crashed. The elevator servo had "locked" in a nose down position and I couldn't get the plane nose up. Interestingly, this loss of control seemed to coincide with the moment my flying partner turned his recently purchased Dragonlink transmitter on. I suspected that his Dragonlink Transmitter had somehow interfered with my system causing the loss of Radio control. So I collected up my stuff and brought it home to the workshop to try and figure out what happened.

I initially powered up my 9x/Dragonlink Transmitter and turned on my plane and everything seemed fine. I had solid red and blue LEDs on the receiver and appropriate control of the servos. I then turned my friend's dragonlink transmitter on and I immediately noticed that the Blue LED started to flash/blink in a random pattern. I also noticed that the servos would intermittently lock-up similar to what seemed to happen when I crashed my plane.

I then decided to perform the ID change procedure as outlined in your manual. I then recalibrated and then re-bound the receiver closely following your instructions. Unfortunately, I kept having the same thing happen; when the second Dragon transmitter was turned on the receivers Blue LED started to blink/flash in a random pattern.

I then went on to perform the ID change > Calibration> Bind sequence 3 more times, all with identical results until the last time when I noted that the Blue LED is now flashing even without the second transmitter being on.

I am obviously frustrated and puzzled. Please help as I would like to get back to flying and I can not safely use this system in its current state.

Thanks so much, Mark
I want to report some additional testing I have done. I noted in a recent post by JUANP that the calibration procedure needs to be done with the tx at least 10 ft from the Rx (to my knowledge, this is not noted in the DragonLink Manual PDF). I then performed his recommended 10+ ft Calibration>ID change > Bind sequence and low and behold, the blue light turned back to SOLID. I was happy. I then moved on to testing if the second Dragon Tx could cause the Blue light to blink and cause servo lock. I thus turned the second tx unit on. Now, the blue light will blink if I am within about 15 feet of the Rx. This is certainly an improvement from the situation prior to re-calibration when the blue light would flicker at a much higher rate even when the second tx was 20ft away.

Am I to believe that my initial crash was due to improper calibration of my Rx? If so, should I feel good about giving the system another try in the air?
poinrobe is offline Find More Posts by poinrobe
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:57 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueprint View Post
Guys. On the new dragon link receiver i noticed my PPM is now channel 12 however my other channels are incorrect as well.

For JR channel 1 is throttle, 2 aileron, 3 elevator and 4 rudder. 5 is gear. For some reason in PPM mode those channels are not correct. I am using an FY30 system as well.

Anybody know which channels correspond to what?
See my answer to your question in the DOSD thread. What you're probably need is to configure your DOSD inputs and outputs correctly. I linked the manual for you there. It's a lot of reading, but there's a lot the DOSD can do and the manual will help greatly in getting it set up properly.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:54 PM
Joined Oct 2012
376 Posts
Quote:
I want to report some additional testing I have done. I noted in a recent post by JUANP that the calibration procedure needs to be done with the tx at least 10 ft from the Rx (to my knowledge, this is not noted in the DragonLink Manual PDF). I then performed his recommended 10+ ft Calibration>ID change > Bind sequence and low and behold, the blue light turned back to SOLID. I was happy. I then moved on to testing if the second Dragon Tx could cause the Blue light to blink and cause servo lock. I thus turned the second tx unit on. Now, the blue light will blink if I am within about 15 feet of the Rx. This is certainly an improvement from the situation prior to re-calibration when the blue light would flicker at a much higher rate even when the second tx was 20ft away.

Am I to believe that my initial crash was due to improper calibration of my Rx? If so, should I feel good about giving the system another try in the air?
I think that this could be one possible reason. In previous posts Mike posted that if the TX and RX are to close, with antennas on, the signal will be 10,000 times stronger than it should be and can introduce errors into the calibration.

It is best to leave the RX antenna removed for calibration. In some planes, this is hard to do, so it is possible to calibrate in the plane with the RX antenna attached. If you do calibrate with the RX antenna attached, make sure it is at least 4 meters away from the Dragon Link TX so that you just do not swamp the receiver with to much signal and result in errors.
Juanp is online now Find More Posts by Juanp
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:44 AM
Sweden, Umea
Joined Nov 2006
237 Posts
3dr Radio and DL

Can someone confirm if it will work to run 3Dr radio modules with my Dragonlink?

http://code.google.com/p/ardupilot-mega/wiki/3DRadio

I will use the 433 mhz version, the 900 version is no good i sweden as our cellphones operate on that band.
Ripper78 is offline Find More Posts by Ripper78
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:13 PM
Mobius Cables... I got em'
United States, TN, Oak Ridge
Joined Dec 2011
3,867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoto.se View Post
Can someone confirm if it will work to run 3Dr radio modules with my Dragonlink?

I will use the 433 mhz version, the 900 version is no good i sweden as our cellphones operate on that band.
no, the 433 version would run the same as your DL, all LRS systems use 433mhz I believe...

Chris
chanyote66 is offline Find More Posts by chanyote66
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:50 PM
DroneWorksUSA.net
United States, TN, Clarksville
Joined Dec 2011
3,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanyote66 View Post
Awesome! we are going to have to do that again soon!

Chris
We will fly together again! It was a lot of fun
flohio117 is online now Find More Posts by flohio117
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:57 PM
Dragon Link/Labs Engineer
Chesterfield, MO
Joined Nov 2010
701 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airfoto.se View Post

I have a pair of those radios, only 900mhz. They seem to work well.

Running anything at the same freq of your control system is a reasonably terrible idea regardless of freq hopping. Shoot for 2.4G XBees if you can't go 900.
chris1seto is offline Find More Posts by chris1seto
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:43 PM
Sweden, Umea
Joined Nov 2006
237 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1seto View Post
I have a pair of those radios, only 900mhz. They seem to work well.

Running anything at the same freq of your control system is a reasonably terrible idea regardless of freq hopping. Shoot for 2.4G XBees if you can't go 900.
True, kinda loong shoot but i see some people use 2.4G XBees with 2.4 radios. But maye that is a different story?

I have used 2.4 xbee, but yesterday i put them in the garbage. Just dosent work as good as i want them to, als the support on APM as i use them on is better with 3dr
Ripper78 is offline Find More Posts by Ripper78
Old Dec 04, 2012, 02:53 PM
Joined Sep 2012
4 Posts
Quote:

What I would like to know is: is it NORMAL for a second Dragonlink TX to cause the Blue Link LED to blink? Have others seen this type of "interference" and if so how do I solve the problem aside from only flying with myself?
poinrobe is offline Find More Posts by poinrobe