HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 07, 2011, 02:58 PM
Joined Jul 2008
93 Posts
Question
How find lost airplane

Hi all.

Need advice how pilot search their lost airplanes if they crash / land too far or in forest. If onforum have any special topick for that, pls give link.

Thanks.
messir is offline Find More Posts by messir
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2011, 03:02 PM
Joined Mar 2011
547 Posts
I have a lost plane beeper in mine, costs about $6 and it worth every cent when you go down. Go here and take a look:
http://www.ebay.de/itm/lost-plane-fi...item41532dc3d3
papabearflying is offline Find More Posts by papabearflying
Old Oct 07, 2011, 03:33 PM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,411 Posts
Do a Google for "Lost Model Alarm". Usually pretty cheap- beeps when signal is lost.

If the model is already lost, you best bet would be to find a bunch of kids, offer a reward for the one who finds it and make up a chicken parade.

Good luck

Odd
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Oct 07, 2011, 08:48 PM
PGR
Low AltiDude
United States, CA, Costa Mesa
Joined Jun 2004
7,930 Posts
This is impossible to do after the fact, but if a plane goes down the first thing you want to do (before you move) is take a long and careful look at where it went or where you last saw it. Look for recognizable landmarks near and past where you think it went down.

Then (before you move), take a long and careful look at where you are.

This may sound silly, but you'd be surprised by how many people take off on a search for a plane with no real understanding of where they're supposed to look.

Pete
PGR is offline Find More Posts by PGR
Old Oct 08, 2011, 01:52 AM
Joined Jul 2008
93 Posts
Are have cheap way use mini gps tracker? Coz its much easy if you lost plane far away.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 02:03 PM
Arizona Fun
Casa Grande Arizona
Joined Mar 2010
303 Posts
Ultralight search & find....

Quote:
Originally Posted by messir View Post
Hi all.

Need advice how pilot search their lost airplanes if they crash / land too far or in forest. If onforum have any special topick for that, pls give link.

Thanks.
I fly ultralight aircraft, the ones you get in and go up with. I was not there but at a local RC flying field a friend's brother lost his nitro helicopter and they could not find it in the tall grass. My friend called me and asked if I would get in my plane and come fly over to try and find it. I was delighted in this 'mission'. I flew over and in short order saw the heli and yelled & pointed to the guys which way to walk, it took maybe 5 minutes. Every flying field should have an ultralight pilot on 'standby' to search for lost aircraft!
ArizonaFun is offline Find More Posts by ArizonaFun
Old Oct 09, 2011, 03:48 PM
Joined Jul 2008
93 Posts
I fly alone, only my family with me. So no pilots near for search.
Want use any of new mini GPS tracker, but want hear if ppl have expiriencedwith it.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 04:01 PM
Marietta GA.
Joined Jan 2011
337 Posts
If you just crashed it try and lock in on it like suggested in the area where it went down...when you get close, turn the transmitter on and off..hopefully you`ll hear the ESC arm or servos move..keep doing this over and over and checking the area...it worked for me in a plane crashed in kudzu...(a nasty plant in the south that grows like crazy on everything)..Jason
mazjag is offline Find More Posts by mazjag
Last edited by mazjag; Oct 09, 2011 at 09:30 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 09, 2011, 06:40 PM
REAL old new guy!
United States, HI
Joined Jul 2011
491 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by messir View Post
Hi all.

Thanks.
I chartered a helicopter and found mine in 6 minutes. There was a airport close by. Cost me $90!
Dakine48 is offline Find More Posts by Dakine48
Old Oct 10, 2011, 04:15 AM
Australia
Joined Nov 2010
2,876 Posts
Mabey something like this
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=13064

Or
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...%5FModule.html

I've used the telemetry signal loss beeps to find a downed ship before. You get close then turn the tx off and go into range testing. Place hand infront of the antenna and move it around. The direction which gives the fastest beeps indicates the direction to walk in.

I must say that my brain was telling my that the plane landed in a diffrent spot and so I searched for 40 minutes in the wrong location even though the beeps were telling me otherwise. Eventually I let the tx do the work and found it in 2 minutes
lipoflyer is offline Find More Posts by lipoflyer
Old Oct 10, 2011, 11:44 AM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,144 Posts
Put up another plane with a camera and fly over the area it went down. Then review the footage and locate the plane.
Belem is offline Find More Posts by Belem