SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 07, 2012, 03:26 AM
Gentlemen, start your engines.
Australia
Joined Jun 2011
1,538 Posts
[QUOTE=Spudz27;21538630]Some shots of the mustang on our display day, other than the plastic spinner, the guy did aa great job in making it appear real, infact the LG down pic almost looks like polished meta

Damn fine fotos.
skymaxy is offline Find More Posts by skymaxy
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2012, 03:40 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2011
1,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Santos View Post
Hi All,

Got my P51 from a LHS here and getting it ready to fly within a few days. I decided to solder adjustable metal clevis (MP Jet brand) for all the push rods. A few other concerns:

1. How are the servos? Are they good? The servos included in my plane had hobbyking labels which are sold at less than $3 a piece.

2. The ESC is rated 35amp again from hobbyking, is this enough? This plane comes with electric retracts and 6 servos. Is it advisable to used a UBEC?

The plane is really good looking!

Thanks.
Can only answer from my own brief experience.

1. I have had no probs with cheap HK servos in Three aircraft, but if you can afford it then Yes, Upgrade. Even if you total yo 'Stang you will still have good servos.

2.Yes if you stick with the stock battery & prop and dont fly full throttle for more than 20 seconds or so, my cruising style never gets ESC over 48C.

2A. Most assuredly install a UBEC especially if you like to fly yo Batts right down.

Others here may have more to offer.
Old May 07, 2012, 03:47 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2011
1,538 Posts
And lastly..

Pre-Flight Check and Rudder Servo is buzzing, damn.

Disconnecy Pushrods, check Arm Post torquet, Re-bend Pushrods, Re-position Servo Arm, disconnect Tailwheel,...buzz, buzz, buzz.
Finally sprayed some Silicon lube on the Pushrod pass-through hole in the Fuse and bingo, servo happy.
You woudnt think the Foam could grab it like that, wish I had of tried that first and saved 3/4 of an hour..
Old May 07, 2012, 03:53 AM
Australia, QLD, Oxenford
Joined Oct 2010
2,276 Posts
Quote:
Hi All,

Got my P51 from a LHS here and getting it ready to fly within a few days. I decided to solder adjustable metal clevis (MP Jet brand) for all the push rods. A few other concerns:

1. How are the servos? Are they good? The servos included in my plane had hobbyking labels which are sold at less than $3 a piece.

2. The ESC is rated 35amp again from hobbyking, is this enough? This plane comes with electric retracts and 6 servos. Is it advisable to used a UBEC?

The plane is really good looking!
Thanks.
Are you sure you have the DURAFLY P-51??? It is not sold buy anyone but HobbyKing!!!
You probably have the DYNAM P-51!!

LURCH
taz101 is online now Find More Posts by taz101
Old May 07, 2012, 03:54 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,754 Posts
You really want to bend the pushrods to suit their path better. It only needs a faint "Z" bend shape. Then it doesn't even need any lube - but using some also can't hurt.... or can it? I hope it is foam safe! LOL
In general it is best not to use any lube ever (maybe dry lube is somewhat more ok?) because it just grabs dust/dirt and eventually becomes 'sanding lube' instead! hehe
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old May 07, 2012, 04:04 AM
PEMAC
Australia, New South Wales, Penrith
Joined Jul 2007
755 Posts
The LHS might be reselling HK stuff. I have the Dynam. How does it compare, has anyone owned both?
SleepySean is offline Find More Posts by SleepySean
Old May 07, 2012, 10:21 AM
B-17 freak
NE Italy near Aviano AB
Joined Jan 2004
679 Posts
I have both. The dynam, while being a great flier can't hold a candle to the detail, authenticity & finish on the Durafly 'stang (it also flies great).
Vic Arcudi is offline Find More Posts by Vic Arcudi
Old May 07, 2012, 07:32 PM
Manila, Philippines
Joined Jul 2001
568 Posts
Thanks Skymaxy for your advise.

Lurch, yes this is the durafly p51 (the LHS ordered it for me from HK and the box says so. another LHS is also selling the dynam p51 with a 3 blade prop but opted for the durafly)
Gerry Santos is offline Find More Posts by Gerry Santos
Old May 08, 2012, 12:13 AM
Doctorfoamy on Youtube
United States, TX, Denton
Joined Sep 2011
176 Posts
drafly vs FMS

Quote:
Thanks Skymaxy for your advise.

Lurch, yes this is the durafly p51 (the LHS ordered it for me from HK and the box says so. another LHS is also selling the dynam p51 with a 3 blade prop but opted for the durafly)
I also have the 1700mm Ferocious Frankie P-51 from FMS (Doctorfoamy on Youtube). The Durafly P51 is an exact replica (except for cockpit detail and retractable tail wheel) in terms of molding..etc. Every line, every rivet is the same - as if they simply scaled the plane down to fit the 1100mm spec. FMS is Durafly... even the spare parts are the same....labels on the parts bags...etc.
jlkitz is offline Find More Posts by jlkitz
Old May 08, 2012, 04:54 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2011
1,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlkitz View Post
I also have the 1700mm Ferocious Frankie P-51 from FMS (Doctorfoamy on Youtube). The Durafly P51 is an exact replica (except for cockpit detail and retractable tail wheel) in terms of molding..etc. Every line, every rivet is the same - as if they simply scaled the plane down to fit the 1100mm spec. FMS is Durafly... even the spare parts are the same....labels on the parts bags...etc.
Hey JLKITZ, That's interesting about Durafly and FMS, BTW, do you know which is the best of all the Big Scale P51's on offer? When you read the reviews it seems that ppl are fixing many probs and almost no Flight Reports.
Notwithstanding that you generally hear more from the dissatisfied customers than the happy ones. i want to go 1.7Mtr but am not confident in any of the existing offerings being satisfactory.
Old May 08, 2012, 08:21 AM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
4,056 Posts
I've got the 1.7m FMS & have not had a single problem in 50 flights. Just make sure your BEC is set for the lowest voltage (5V in this case) and the retracts will not fry. Most of the issues are caused by over voltage.
dambit is online now Find More Posts by dambit
Old May 08, 2012, 08:56 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2011
1,538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dambit View Post
I've got the 1.7m FMS & have not had a single problem in 50 flights. Just make sure your BEC is set for the lowest voltage (5V in this case) and the retracts will not fry. Most of the issues are caused by over voltage.
Ta!
Old May 08, 2012, 11:02 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
11,754 Posts
The FMS 1.7m costs pretty well double the Starmax 1.6m. Seeing you can get the Starmax from HK Aust, but not the FMS 1.7m. $222 for the Starmax delivered. Could be $450 area for the FMS.
So you could own 2 of the Starmax for 1 FMS and they are both excellent finish/quality - but all Chinese planes have shortfalls too..... It would seem it is hard to justify such a huge % cost increase, for...???.. 100mm and gear doors.... and ???
I can (not sure I will bother yet) fit gear doors to the Starmax for little cost ($20 or less).
I would hope the FMS has some good reasons to support that huge extra cost, but I don't see it. It is probably more around $300 value in comparison - but you don't get a choice, you just have to pay what they want if you want those differences.
PeterVRC is online now Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2012, 01:15 AM
Australia
Joined Jun 2011
1,538 Posts
Certainly will not get the FMS then, I am not a scale freak and I have no interest in unecessary gadgets to go wrong and jam your LG like the aforementioned poster.
Old May 09, 2012, 02:11 AM
United States, DE, Dover
Joined Oct 2011
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlkitz View Post
I hate that Durafly will not come out and say they are FMS... Hobbyking must think their credibility will suffer if they even whisper the FMS word. I would respect them a little better myself ... Scott
Smoothcruizer3 is offline Find More Posts by Smoothcruizer3