HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:56 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
NitroCharged's Avatar
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,171 Posts


John, I want to run them in a plane first up and see how they go before releasing anything so it doesn't come back and bite me.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:58 PM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2011
765 Posts
I might have to crash test a set for you :-) if they can survive my landings they'll be a winner ;-)
Hey Dave we can hack up my UMX corsair for testing purposes as i have a complete new airframe in the cupboard to rebuild with when the current one is beyond repair.
jim350 is online now Find More Posts by jim350
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:01 PM
ancora imparo
jj604's Avatar
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,065 Posts
OK understood - if only the people who ran ClickFrenzy had understood that...

Let us know as soon as you are happy to release them for sale on Shapeways. If you want to we can combine an order and save on the shipping.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post


John, I want to run them in a plane first up and see how they go before releasing anything so it doesn't come back and bite me.
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:29 AM
Lee Liddle
Knife Liddle's Avatar
Carrollton, Tx
Joined Dec 2006
7,825 Posts
Congrats Dave they look great. I look forward to your flight tests. Retracts on a micro will be too cool!
Knife Liddle is online now Find More Posts by Knife Liddle
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 25, 2012, 08:37 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
NitroCharged's Avatar
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,171 Posts
Guys, pdawg just gave me the heads up that Shapeways has free shipping today only!

If you were thinking about a Christmas project what better opportunity than now!

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/team30
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:42 PM
ancora imparo
jj604's Avatar
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,065 Posts
Any chance you could change the "Not for sale" on the retracts just for this Monday?

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Guys, pdawg just gave me the heads up that Shapeways has free shipping today only!

If you were thinking about a Christmas project what better opportunity than now!

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/team30
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:50 PM
Current project: Electrolyte
pdawg's Avatar
United States, OH, Dayton
Joined Apr 2004
5,439 Posts
Placed my order!
pdawg is offline Find More Posts by pdawg
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:30 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
NitroCharged's Avatar
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,171 Posts
Good stuff pdawg.

I found out the hard way it was one free shipping treat per customer! LOL

I gave the new button retracts a very close examination and found an error in the model. I corrected the error, uploaded the new file and cancelled my original order I placed yesterday afternoon for more button retracts. That's when shipping would not come off the order.

I go to plan B and ask John to piggyback my order on his for the free shipping. Sweet! It's all go.

Meanwhile, I keep inspecting the button retracts for anything I might have missed and notice a printing error on all of them. I remove the new file and scramble to adjust the model so it prints better. Sweet Mercy! I find one of my alignment objects sitting as an artefact in the file!!! This was a 1mm square object showing me 0.1mm steps for measuring clearance accuracy. It was in the very spot I redid to fix the problem in the first place. So, it's late at night, getting the upload online in time... waiting for the model to be approved.. hoping John hasn't passed out from boredom on the other end.. LOL... fun night.

Happily, the story ends with the order getting in on time for free shipping.
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:51 PM
Registered User
RNAF's Avatar
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2003
2,305 Posts
Nitro, have you got around testing your Panther intake?
If so, how much thrust did you lose due to the bifurcated intake?

Cheers
RNAF is offline Find More Posts by RNAF
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:40 PM
ancora imparo
jj604's Avatar
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,065 Posts
Dave, I have something for you.

Check your PM - your email address bounced.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroCharged View Post
Good stuff pdawg.

I found out the hard way it was one free shipping treat per customer! LOL

I gave the new button retracts a very close examination and found an error in the model. I corrected the error, uploaded the new file and cancelled my original order I placed yesterday afternoon for more button retracts. That's when shipping would not come off the order.

I go to plan B and ask John to piggyback my order on his for the free shipping. Sweet! It's all go.

Meanwhile, I keep inspecting the button retracts for anything I might have missed and notice a printing error on all of them. I remove the new file and scramble to adjust the model so it prints better. Sweet Mercy! I find one of my alignment objects sitting as an artefact in the file!!! This was a 1mm square object showing me 0.1mm steps for measuring clearance accuracy. It was in the very spot I redid to fix the problem in the first place. So, it's late at night, getting the upload online in time... waiting for the model to be approved.. hoping John hasn't passed out from boredom on the other end.. LOL... fun night.

Happily, the story ends with the order getting in on time for free shipping.
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:30 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
NitroCharged's Avatar
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Apr 2004
11,171 Posts
RNAF, haven't got that sucker printed yet. Like many, I drift around in a haze of experiments and model building....

JJ - yippee!
Looking forward to seeing that last couple of corrections in the model at work!
NitroCharged is offline Find More Posts by NitroCharged
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:01 AM
ancora imparo
jj604's Avatar
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,065 Posts
Retracts in action

Not sure if I have done this right but here is my first attempt at a YouTube video.

I knocked up a crude test rig to try out the prototype retracts that Nitro organised for me.

I think they still need a bit of tuning - the fully retracted position is not quite positive enough - but you have to be impressed with them for the size. These things are so cute. The man is a genius.

Retracts (0 min 17 sec)


Click on the YouTube button to watch in HD.
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Last edited by jj604; Dec 10, 2012 at 02:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:08 AM
ancora imparo
jj604's Avatar
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,065 Posts
...
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Last edited by jj604; Dec 10, 2012 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Double post
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:27 AM
Registered User
Joined Aug 2011
765 Posts
Hey JJ how big is the hook you have on the control rod? From the shadow it looks like it might be hitting the edge of the retract body stopping the retract from closing all the way?
jim350 is online now Find More Posts by jim350
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:08 AM
ancora imparo
jj604's Avatar
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,065 Posts
Nope, that's not the problem. I filed the hook back so that it would not touch the body. And it is a snug fit on the control stub. The retracts close completely with a bit of a nudge or when operated manually but there is not sufficient force to do so from the control rod using the 1.7g servo. Nitro will fix this I am sure but the problem appears to be the looseness that I suspect is inherent in the Shapeways process. These things are amazing but there is an unavoidable amount of slop in the joints. Make them perfect and they fuse together in the shaping.

Anyway we should hold off on this discussion. Poor Nitro hasn't even got his own ones yet - I posted them to him today!
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Team30 Micro EDF FW-35A Lighting II NitroCharged Micro EDF Jets and Power Systems 29 Dec 11, 2011 03:29 PM
Build Log Team30 Micro EDF UM Habu NitroCharged Micro EDF Jets and Power Systems 11 Sep 09, 2011 07:45 PM
Discussion Team30 Micro EDF T-45 BAE Hawk NitroCharged Micro EDF Jets and Power Systems 481 Feb 08, 2011 03:04 AM
Discussion Team30 Micro EDF 12" Douglas Skyray - Video now online! NitroCharged Micro EDF Jets and Power Systems 160 Jun 11, 2010 01:54 PM