Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 06, 2011, 10:16 PM
USA, MI, Shelby Township
Joined Aug 2006
121 Posts
Discussion
Supra Pro vs Supra Pro Competition

Does anybody have any reviews between the two? Does the larger tail make a difference or do they are the flight characteristics identical?
brentrob is offline Find More Posts by brentrob
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2011, 08:49 AM
Mark LSF # 3792
United States, TX, Garland
Joined Nov 2008
526 Posts
I have a Supra Classic that I put a Pro Comp horizontal on when I broke the original molded stab. In theory the extra area should give some advantages over the smaller stab. A few of them are more control authority at low air speeds, reduced weight since it is lighter (talking grams here) and one could also move the CG further aft for more snsitivity if desired and still maintain good pitch control. Since I'm no world class pilot I didn't notice much change, however it does look way cool!
Soarmark is offline Find More Posts by Soarmark
Old Oct 07, 2011, 10:13 AM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,497 Posts
Brent, qualitatively not that much difference in handling in spite of the slight area difference. The lighter weight of the stab and fin/rudder results in a net reduction of around an ounce+ when the corresponding amount of nose weight is removed.

Once you change you will have to continue to use the Comp stab. The platform has to be reversed for this stab so the original will no longer go on correctly. And the Comp tails look cool!!

JT
jtlsf5 is offline Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Oct 07, 2011, 10:17 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
863 Posts
I went from the old to the new about 2 months before the last F3J worlds. Copied over my program and thought it would be sweet, not so, had to dial down the elevator throw by around 30% to get the same feeling as the original tail. I certainly found they were much more effective.
lesterpk is offline Find More Posts by lesterpk
Old Oct 07, 2011, 11:19 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterpk View Post
I went from the old to the new about 2 months before the last F3J worlds. Copied over my program and thought it would be sweet, not so, had to dial down the elevator throw by around 30% to get the same feeling as the original tail. I certainly found they were much more effective.
You're probably more aft CG than I fly at. Makes sense, I don't fly DP-like CG's.
Old Oct 07, 2011, 02:29 PM
Mark LSF # 3792
United States, TX, Garland
Joined Nov 2008
526 Posts
Yep jtlsf5 I found the same thing. As I said I'm not world class either. All my comments were theoretical and YMMV.
Soarmark is offline Find More Posts by Soarmark
Old Oct 07, 2011, 09:29 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Oct 2003
863 Posts
Both old and new running at 102-3mm from the LE. Its fairly neutral, but does pull out slowly from a dive test.
lesterpk is offline Find More Posts by lesterpk
Old Oct 07, 2011, 09:39 PM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
SOAR Chicago!!!
Joined Jan 2005
1,875 Posts
How hard is it to swap the stab mount around?
StevenatorLTFO is offline Find More Posts by StevenatorLTFO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Supra Vertical Stab and Rudder
Old Oct 08, 2011, 06:24 AM
Joined Jul 2007
2,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenatorLTFO View Post
How hard is it to swap the stab mount around?
Not too hard. You need a small drift pin, I used a 1" piece of 1/32" music wire. Make a couple as you may bend the first until you get the angles and hammer force just right. Place the stab rocker platform on a piece of hardwood so the pin is just over the edge. Use the drift to tap the pins from the inside enough that it disengages the movable part of the platform. Once both pins are disengaged reverse the platform then with the platform supported again, reset the pins. A dab of black, rubberized CA on each end of each pin to secure them and you are done.

One other thing to be aware of is that the stab pushrod will now need to be a bit shorter (~1/4"). If you don't have enough adjustment left on a threaded end you may need to cut off the fixed clevis and reset it closer in.

JT
Old Oct 08, 2011, 01:30 PM
AKA - The "Flywheel"
SOAR Chicago!!!
Joined Jan 2005
1,875 Posts
Thanks JT, I picked up a Supra that currently has the standard tail, but a pro tail was part of the deal, so I would like to swap it over.
StevenatorLTFO is offline Find More Posts by StevenatorLTFO
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Supra Vertical Stab and Rudder