Old Oct 06, 2011, 08:37 PM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,995 Posts
Discussion
Great Planes Electrifly Monokote ARF covering

Hi guys,,,, I need some help before I completely destroy my latest electrifly ARF.
I got another one of these Monokote covered ARFs,,,the Reactor Bipe...and the covering is killing me.

I have never had luck with Monokote coverings, and this one is out of hand. I have already about destroyed one piece and any other parts are looking bad.
I cannot for the life of me get a single wrinkle out. Of course, it has multiple layers of different colors, so this makes it all the worse.
Even the largest wrinkles refuse to budge. If I turn the heat iron up above 300* I get some shrinkage, but it ends up being small creases and looks awful. I just don't get this stuff. Do folks with these electrifly planes just leave all the wrinkles in place and fly around a plane that looks like an un-made bed? I am utterly disgusted I bought this plane now. It will look horrible like this.
Have others here encountered this ? Are there any tricks that can help?
I have just boxed this expensive waste back up and tossed it in the closet for now.
I also tried my heat gun on a couple of parts but that was just a mess too. I tried low heat, medium, hi,,,....nothing seems to work.
I hope someone here has a magic bullet that works.
Thanks for listening,
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:15 AM
Garry
Tumble weed country Eastern Washington
Joined Aug 2004
530 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of Monokote. Just strip it and recover with Ulracote. You can try a heat gun on high heat to get rid of the wrinkles without leaving creases. Good luck with your plane. Now you know why more peaple have switch to Ulracote.
crash-rc is offline Find More Posts by crash-rc
Old Oct 18, 2011, 03:52 AM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,995 Posts
Thanks Crash.
Yeah, I tried my heatgun and ended up lifting off one of the overlay pieces. What a mess. I have never had good luck with Monokote, yet have seen some really nice covering jobs using the stuff. Those folks must have magic in their irons or something?!

I have most of the pieces done now. Spent 2 full days just ironing on this darn plane. It's coming out ok, but nothing to bragg about. I will have to re-cover the one piece that lifted. If I ever have a crash and need repairs, then I might go ahead and redo it with ultrakote.
This Monokote stuff is just not user friendly at all.
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2011, 05:55 PM
Joined Dec 2005
915 Posts
CSI,

I wish you were having more luck !

I personally love monocoat as it takes my heat abuse and shrinks really well. It is the covering I learned on.

Perhaps you have a bad batch. I have heard this can happen although I have not had that happen yet personally. I dont like the heat gun and I dont use a sock on my iron which I turn up very high ( no setting just 1/4 turn from full).

Blue and white work the best for me and I rarely have wrinkle free jobs with reds....

No doubt Ultracoat is great also

Keep trying ! If frustration sets in deeper, try Rum.

Fonzie
The Fonz is offline Find More Posts by The Fonz