HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2011, 08:05 PM
Joined Sep 2006
918 Posts
oooooooooooo I want one badly but waiting until I get a couple current projects done
hazegry is online now Find More Posts by hazegry
Old Oct 07, 2011, 04:53 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
I know what I plan to ask Santa for! Thanks for posting the pictures, Gravman. Good to see the kit was released!
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Oct 07, 2011, 06:54 PM
United States, TX, La Porte
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
My issue is I wish they had made it 1in to the foot. A 36in boat would have made a super nice boat. Not too big just right.
Gravman is offline Find More Posts by Gravman
Old Oct 07, 2011, 08:30 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
Here is great link with a story of one of these boats in action and a crew that had big brass, well you know. www.cg36500.org
Old Oct 07, 2011, 08:48 PM
Joined Sep 2006
918 Posts
so did you start building it yet? wheres the progress pics?
hazegry is online now Find More Posts by hazegry
Old Oct 07, 2011, 09:25 PM
Joined Aug 2005
2,726 Posts
Thanks for the thread Gravman!!!

Tracing the parts for templates before building is handy for repairs.
DT56 is offline Find More Posts by DT56
Old Oct 08, 2011, 09:09 AM
N.E.Mass.
Joined Apr 2007
3,111 Posts
Gravman, the USCG museum in Seattle has a set of drawings for that boat. They are original construction drawings. The set I have I got about 20 years ago and are blueprints.
charlie eaton is offline Find More Posts by charlie eaton
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:27 AM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,811 Posts
Got mine this week at the shop where I work. Lots of oppurtunity to add more detail to the model. Some of the additional detail would be: proper wood grate for the coxswain; open up the forward hatch and install a bulkhead and deck; open up the freeing ports; extend the main decks to the sides of the hull; add ice sheathing if you're modeling a boat on the Great Lakes; add the bench behind the coxswain's platform. I laid the kit plans out next to a set of USCG plans in the same scale and took these pictures.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Oct 21, 2011, 12:47 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
Good stuff Bob! Where did you get the original dwgs?

I hope Santa thinks I was good this year! I sure would like to have this kit!
Old Oct 21, 2011, 01:09 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
Wow sure makes the Dumas stuff look a little less than it could have been...OK a lot less than it could have been.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 02:15 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
It doesn't seem that far off, does it?

This kit appears to comes in at a good price point... More detail and complexity in a kit = mo' money.

I'm still enthusiastic.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 04:24 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,668 Posts
No it is still a nice kit. It is just that Dumas could have added a seat and a couple of other small items for not too much money and made the kit a little closer to scale. Like I said I like it and I can add the other details without too much trouble. Get it, you will like it.
Old Oct 21, 2011, 05:07 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,672 Posts
Looks to be a nice basic kit. I think that Dumas does a decent job of offering a basic kit that can be enhanced if the modeler chooses. Unlike the European kits that are mostly complete and very well detailed, Dumas is doing what they can to offer up some thing that will hopefully sell lots of. Start adding more items and more research, detatiled drawings that may need approval for coppying, and the price would be like that of the european counterparts. Besides, most average modelers are happy with the basic vessel. Those of us that like more detail know how to embellish a basic kit and turn into a show peice in a museum and build to our prefference.
On with the build and more photos!
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Oct 21, 2011, 07:04 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerominded View Post
Good stuff Bob! Where did you get the original dwgs?
I got some of them from the USCG Museum of the NorthWest in Seattle, and others from Loyalhanna Dockyard/Taubman Plans.

I don't have a list of the USCG BoatAlts (authorized Boat Alterations) for this class. The BoatAlts give specific guidance to make changes to the fleet. The size of the side light boxes on the Dumas plans may be accurate.

There are several of these boats still around, most as static museum displays. USCG 36500 is still afloat under her own power on the east coast.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob