HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by DannyKopter, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 06, 2011, 02:16 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
54 Posts
Discussion
My collection...

Since I'm new to this forum, I thought it would be a good idea to introduce you to my collection of helis:

My small 2 channels:

Syma Fairy 2ch indoor helicopter (5)
Propel RC Lil Flyer (2)
Air Hogs Pocket Copter
Silverlit PicooZ (4)

My 3 channels nano coaxial:

Syma S110G (2)
DND ZR-719

My 3 channels and more micro helis:

SanLianHuan 6020-1 V-Max Swift (3)
LiteHawk (2)
LiteHawk Pro
LiteHawk Special Edition Black
SkyRover 8581 Series (2)
SkyRover 8572 Series 4.5 channels
Syma S026G Tandem coaxial
Cobra Toys Xplorer 4 channels (Extremely modified, very fast !)
Jada Toys Air Command Police helicopter
BladeRunner Interceptor
Revell Proto CX
Blade MCX (2)
Blade MCX2
Blade MSR (2)
Blade 400 3D
Blade mCPx
Nine Eagles Free Spirit
Nine Eagles Solo Pro V 260A

My Spy Cam helicopters:

Air Hogs HawkEye (Bad product, very noizy, didn't last a week, can't turn it
on anymore...)
SanLianHuan 6030 C7 spy Helicopter (Freshly arrived last week, currently
under modifications)

That's it !
I think...
DannyKopter is offline Find More Posts by DannyKopter
Last edited by DannyKopter; Oct 10, 2011 at 02:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 09, 2011, 09:29 AM
Joined Oct 2011
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyKopter View Post
Since I'm new to this forum, I thought it would be a good idea to introduce you to my collection of helis:

SkyRover 8581 Series (Modded for lighter weight & speed)
SkyRover 8581 Series (Laser pointer modified)
SkyRover 8572 Series 4.5 channels...........

Hi Danny,

Impressive!

I have just bought one 8572 Series 4.5 Channels. Did not try it yet. What do you think of it ?

And broadly speaking, if you were to give a rating for all those ones you tried, what would it be ? (especially robustness, stability and usability...)

Thanks.

MMG
trcm is offline Find More Posts by trcm
Old Oct 09, 2011, 11:44 AM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
54 Posts
SkyRover 8572 series 4.5 ch

Good morning MMG !
I'm just getting up now...

Thanks for asking about the Sky Rover 8572.

As soon as I got that helicopter I realized it was heavy and not very agile.
It would loose balance at any aerobatic attempt. So I started working on it a bit.

I took the tail brackets and horizontal tail wing off like I often do for my other helicopters.This reduces the weigh and gives more forward movement.
I also took off one of the front disco lights, in order to save a bit of the battery. I relocated the other one on top, in the middle of the two motors, to look a bit like a police light.

Now, I'm reconsidering the tail brackets mod for this helicopter. After some flight tests, I realized that it is not the main issue to solve with the heli.
This heli doesn't realli need more forward movement. It needs to be lighter and more agile.

I can't fly it at all right now cause the flybar is broken.

My plan is to find a similar size top rotor head with the flybar above the blades. This single mod would bring most of the improvement it needs.
I also wand to make carbon fiber landing skids to save some weight. After these modifications, I will be able to decide if I want to put the tail brackets back on or not.

Basically, I'm not impressed with the stock product flight performance.
The helicopter has good potential with minimal modification intervention.

Also, my helicopter is quite green. I don't like green. It's not easy being green !

Let me know what you think.

Happy Thanksgiving !
Last edited by DannyKopter; Oct 09, 2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old Oct 09, 2011, 02:44 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4 Posts
Hi

Thanks for your quick response !

I'm newby to this stuff. This is just the second one I buy.

The first one, bought (and broken :-)) two weeks ago, was really stable, light and agile. It was a tiny SkyRover Storm Eagle or something (the small one here http://www.lambstoys.co.uk/auldey-sk...-models-auldey)

I enjoyed it but after 3 days of intensive flights one of the engines seems to be KO (only one heli rotates now)

I could not stay without one so I bought this 8572 simply because it looked robust.

I'm trying to find one that gives the same sensations and has the agility of that late-lamented yellow Storm Eagle, but that is likely to live (a little bit) more.

PS: anyway to fix the burnt rotor ? You seem good at DIY

Thanks again,

MMG
Old Oct 09, 2011, 05:08 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
54 Posts
...burnt motor

Hi MMG,

I got about 40 helicopters and I never burnt out any motors.
Are you totally sure that your motor is burnt out.

The fact that the blades are not spinning could be caused by something else.

1. The top rotor head is loose, it needs to be pushed back in and the screw
needs to be tightened.

2. One of the motor pinion gear fell off and the motor turns without propelling
the blades.

Do a deeper flight inspection to verify these possibilities. Chances are that you might have to dismount part of your helicopter to access that information.

When I first started this hobby about 3 years ago, I bought lots of parts for nothing, since the problem is very often very minor and obvious.

I'm pretty sure that your helicopter is not that "out of order" and will be back in the air pretty soon.

P.S. Your Storm Eagle is the yellow version of my 2 Sky Rovers 8581. It's exactly the same product except that mine came in white.

Double check to make sure the top rotor head is tightly screwed in and take a look on the motor pinions. They look like this:
Old Oct 10, 2011, 10:32 AM
Joined Oct 2011
4 Posts
.. hmm.. maybe not burnt, you might be right.

Next week, I'll check those possible causes you enumerated (currently I'm on a trip).

Thanks a lot for the guidance.

P.S : What about your preferred model in terms of fun of use, robustness and stability ?

i.e. if you were to keep only one :-), ce serait lequel ?
Old Oct 10, 2011, 02:23 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
54 Posts
...the helicopter I would keep...

Si je devais choisir de garder une seule hélicoptere,
mon premier choix serait Nine Eagles Solo Pro.
It is so fast, agile, responsive. It is a lot of fun to fly.

Mon deuxième choix serait Blade MSR, pour les memes
raisons. Je trouve Blade MSR est plus "high maintenance"
que Solo Pro en termes de pièces cassées et d'ajustements.

Probablement que certaines personnes ferait un choix différent.
I guess it's a personal choice.

You need to know that these two helicopters are hobby
grade helicopters and have nothing to
compare with Sky Rover or other toy grade helicopters on the
market, technology wise and price wise.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 03:06 PM
Joined Oct 2011
4 Posts
Which ones are those two models on the pictures ?

Thx
Old Oct 10, 2011, 09:17 PM
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
54 Posts
They are actually not shown on my pictures, since they are on the next shelf under (My pictures suck, sorry...).

But here is some images:

E-Flite Blade mSR (1 min 22 sec)

Nine Eagles Solo Pro V2 Outdoor com Vento (1 min 33 sec)
Old Dec 26, 2011, 09:44 AM
Joined Dec 2011
1 Posts
I was given a SkyRover 8572 for Xmas, but within less than an hour's use the bottom rotor quit working. I took some time today to disassemble and see if there was something that could be done. What I found should justify the copter's return to the store - the small pinion gear on the motor's shaft appeared to be mounted too high and the bottom of the gear was completely eaten away. I tried to move it down with a dental tool applied to the top of the gear but it was stuck fast.

I was told by my friend that the store salesman claim there'd be no returns if the box was opened. Can someone please advise as to repair? I might have better luck if I could remove the motor, but it seemed to be glued in(?)

TIA ... and Holidays' Cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula
rarewolf is offline Find More Posts by rarewolf
Old Dec 27, 2011, 02:50 PM
Joined Dec 2011
6 Posts
Exactly the same problem with mine - lower rotor not turning. I'd be interested in hearing if and how you managed to fix it.

PS - The store exchanged mine today for a new one, no questions asked. Hope it doesn't happen again though.
Busy Bee is offline Find More Posts by Busy Bee
Last edited by Busy Bee; Dec 28, 2011 at 10:42 PM.
Old Jan 01, 2012, 04:16 PM
Joined Dec 2011
6 Posts
And the replacement crapped out too. Top rotor this time. Sigh.

I took it apart this time - the motor seems to simply not be giving it enough power. Gears look fine.
Old Jan 02, 2012, 06:28 AM
Joined Jan 2012
1 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyKopter View Post
Hi MMG,

Double check to make sure the top rotor head is tightly screwed in and take a look on the motor pinions. They look like this:
Hi dannyKopter, I also got one of the sky rover 8572 helicopters for christmas. From the moment i pulled it out of the box it has always pulled in reverse while in the air and then after a few tries the bottom rotor stopped spinning alltogether so I took it apart to see what the problem was. It turns out that the gear that turns the bottom rotor keeps dropping a couple millimeters and is not connecting to the motor pinion at all. I was wondering if you had any suggestions to fix it before I give up and return it to the store for a replacement?
Jor3dn is offline Find More Posts by Jor3dn
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined Jan 2012
1 Posts
Holy crap exact same thing happened to me. Just got it out of the box, had trouble controlling my forward pitch, and after only a few tries the bottom rotor stopped working, just makes a high pitched whine now, while the top rotor still goes full speed. Insight into repair would be most appreciated.
mbinding is offline Find More Posts by mbinding
Old Jan 13, 2012, 06:24 PM
Joined Dec 2011
6 Posts
My story gets worse...

I took the second one back, got a third. Flew fine, but when I tried recharging, the recharging port just broke off. Took THAT one back, 4th one took one flight, then no power to lower rotor again. I took it apart and the gear that's attached to the motor spindle had just disappeared. By this time the people at the store weren't interested in dealing with me although I wasn't being obnoxious. Said they wouldn't take it back and accused me of crashing it (which I didn't unless you call a 2 foot drop onto carpet a crash).

Now it's a challenge.

I went to another store (it's a chain) and bought another one, put the one missing the gear in the box and returned it for a refund.

The new one flew great for a while, then a hard landing took out one of the skids. Still flew fine, but when I landed it, I was late cutting power and it tipped over with the motor running, and again I lost power to one rotor. I'm blaming myself for this one, and although I strongly believe this model is way too shoddily constructed, even for a cheap toy, I officially give up.

I'm going to get something better quality.