SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 06, 2011, 02:23 PM
Magnolia, MA.
Joined Dec 2010
219 Posts
Discussion
Syma S111G: US Coast Guard Edition

Hi All: I finally bought 3 of these Syma S111G Coast Guard 3CH helis. Last Winter they were out of stock forever (what's new) & they were $29.99. Xheli has them for $19.99 plus 25% off @ $14.99 plus S/H. They nicked me pretty good for 3-S111G & 1-S107 in Yellow,1-E-Sky Nano & some spare parts for $32.00 in S/H. Which equals to $6.40 per heli. Still....If you factor in it's really a pretty S107, you pay appx. $21.39. Not bad IMHO. The detail is pretty good on the CG paint scheme (orange/white & black)

Syma S111G CG Link:

http://www.xheli.com/56h-s111g-miniheli-red.html

The E-Sky Nano is charging right now. It looks a lot like the old Eflite MCX-S300 (Schweizer Knock-Off) heli which I own two of. For $49.99 you cannot go wrong! I love the look of the E-Sky Nano bigtime! The Efilte S300 cost me (for BNF) like $80.00 a piece @ the time!

http://www.xheli.com/eskyheli-002648...white-rtf.html

Just thought I post what just came in with UPS. I really need to knock-off the purchases of 3CH/4CH indoor helis. I own too many to count @ this point! Just how many can I fly indoors? Winter is coming to New England before we know it!
UMASS is offline Find More Posts by UMASS
Last edited by UMASS; Oct 06, 2011 at 02:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2011, 10:00 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,774 Posts
I have the same heli and it's my favorite micro. It always had a problem of dropping out of the sky randomly but I think I fried the esc as it hit the grass outside one night with the power on (very shortly) and now the motors won't spin up at all, but the lights flash. Will try it again later or I guess I'll be looking for a new board for this heli if I can get it for a few bucks. I''d like one that flies and not falls, like my S107.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
Old Oct 07, 2011, 02:14 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,835 Posts
^^^^
You know these helis cannot be flown outside in sunlight right? Even indoors with the sun shinning in. It will also fall out of the sky if you fly in front of a TV.

@UMASSHey Bud, long time. I see the heli bug bit you R-E-A-L good

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Oct 07, 2011, 05:26 PM
Magnolia, MA.
Joined Dec 2010
219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
^^^^
You know these helis cannot be flown outside in sunlight right? Even indoors with the sun shinning in. It will also fall out of the sky if you fly in front of a TV.

Mike.
Mike: Yes...It's been awhile. Been boating up here in Gloucester all summer. So...Fall/Winter is my heli time. I understand that it's all IR (no daytime flight) On a calm summer night I'll take the IR out for a quick 5 minute spin. Played with the Syma S111G is it's decent, but not better then my S107's I own. Looks real pretty.

Busted out my Big Lama today & she did fine. Need to score the extended shaft so no more blade strikes! The E-Sky Nano is a real peach for $49.99 (on sale @ XHeli) I like it better then my Eflite MCX2 myself.

Mike...I'm sure I'll be posting more then these boards now that I'm back playing with my Helis! Hope all is well in Malden, MA.!!!
UMASS is offline Find More Posts by UMASS
Old Oct 07, 2011, 05:40 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,835 Posts
@UMASS Hope you caught some nice fish. The cod/haddock should be running nice by now. There's still some good fishing left in the season.

I hope all is well with you in Magnolia as well Maybe someday we'll meet and toast to something....anything

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Oct 07, 2011, 10:39 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,774 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
^^^^

Mike.
Yes, I know, I like to fly on the back patio at night. No wind and the lights are cool on this model. A new board is $10. That's too much. I'm just going to order another one and then I'll have this one for parts.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 07:52 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
For those of you guys who have this great looking and flying heli, I bought one months ago and last week I bought two spares or repair S111G helis at my local hobby shop for 20 or $31.

When I got them home one had obviously been in the wars with a broken "T" piece on top of the inner shaft so the flybar was flopping about. The wheels were bent inwards, the black nose was scraped off and the small step on the side was hanging off but there was power in the battery.

The other one looked perfect but had no power in the battery. I plugged it into a wall USB charger anyway and one hour later the light indicated it was charged. So I grabbed a Tx, bound it and off it went. Nothing wrong with it apart from the flat battery which is showing no sign of being puffed after I charged it.

When I dismantled the other one I realised the "T" piece looked very similar to the S107 "T" piece, so I grabbed a Rev 5 S107 and stripped the top off and it fitted the S111G perfectly. I decided to keep the S107 rotor blades on and replaced the lower blades on the S111G as well. The wheels straightened out and the step glued back into place. So this S111G has red rotor blades and after I bound it to the Tx it also flies. I still have to touch up the nose but I now have a fleet of three S111G Coastguard helis.

scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Oct 18, 2011, 08:12 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,774 Posts
Good news. I charged up my S111 and it still works. Just can't figure out why it loses signal randomly and drops. Really annoying. Could the fact that I'm using the controller from my S107 have anything to do with it?
Old Oct 19, 2011, 07:51 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shahram72 View Post
Good news. I charged up my S111 and it still works. Just can't figure out why it loses signal randomly and drops. Really annoying. Could the fact that I'm using the controller from my S107 have anything to do with it?
I am using my S107 Tx with the three S111G's you see in the pictures and none of them suffer from signal loss so I would be loking at other factors that may cause signal loss, bright sunlight, plasma/ lcd tv's.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:22 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,774 Posts
i have none of those issues. None of my other ir helis do this so it must be a bad bird. Oh well.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:17 AM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsoft View Post
I am using my S107 Tx with the three S111G's you see in the pictures
Hey John - it's been a while since I bought a 3-ch but the S111 in CG livery will look great landing on my little aircraft carrier, and they're less than $20 shipped on Amazon so....
Cool to know it can share a TX with the S107s.

Hows that NE Bravo SX working out for you? Curious to hear if you have the same opinion of it as I vs. the Blade MSR (looks cooler, but not as precise or smooth).
cheers!
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:54 PM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Hey John - it's been a while since I bought a 3-ch but the S111 in CG livery will look great landing on my little aircraft carrier, and they're less than $20 shipped on Amazon so....
Cool to know it can share a TX with the S107s.

Hows that NE Bravo SX working out for you? Curious to hear if you have the same opinion of it as I vs. the Blade MSR (looks cooler, but not as precise or smooth).
cheers!
Hi Kurt,
Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, have had a few health problems.

If you do get the S111G you will find it a dream to fly, it is really stable, very quiet and precise. Syma have definitely brought out a good one here.

My Bravo SX is "different", when I first got it and took off it decided to veer sharply to the left and I had to be quick on the sticks to hold the little .
Then I managed to trim it out better and I do like the look of it in the air when it behaves itself, but every now and again for no reason it will dart of to the left. None of my mSR's do this, they do as they are told and sometime they do it quicker than I anticipated lol but I can get them under control much easier. I think I need more stick time with the SX as I have barely flown anything for a few weeks but hopefully that will improve over the next week or so
I will let you know how things progress

cheers John
Old Oct 24, 2011, 02:26 PM
Upstanding Member
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2003
1,982 Posts
Sorry to hear about the health issues - hope you get better soon!

Anyway, S111g.... ordered
Been too long since I got a new, cheap and cheerful 3ch

Sounds like the roll servo on your SX is wacky. Mine did that too, randomly sticking on full left. I'd reset the battery and usually it would work fine, for a while. I even took the servo apart to make sure it wasn't binding, nope.
Eventually the servo stuck for good and I had to replace the PCB, at least they're cheaper than MSR boards :P

I've been flying the MSR almost exclusively in the past month, have to get out the SX next time.
Kurt is offline Find More Posts by Kurt
Old Oct 25, 2011, 04:45 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,709 Posts
Sorry to hear about the health issues - hope you get better soon!
It's been going on over two years now but hopefully the end is in sight

Anyway, S111g.... ordered
Been too long since I got a new, cheap and cheerful 3ch
That's the ticket, you can never have too many good looking helis to tease the flight controller and his apprentce lol

Sounds like the roll servo on your SX is wacky. Mine did that too, randomly sticking on full left. I'd reset the battery and usually it would work fine, for a while. I even took the servo apart to make sure it wasn't binding, nope.
Eventually the servo stuck for good and I had to replace the PCB, at least they're cheaper than MSR boards :P
Off the top of your head do you know if the SX has the same board as the Solo Pro 2? I have a Solo Pro 2 and if it was the same I could swap them ver to try it out

I've been flying the MSR almost exclusively in the past month, have to get out the SX next time.
My DX6i developed a fault and I am not crazy about flying the mSR with the stock Tx so it has been my 3ch helis that have been getting a thrashing recently.

Changing the subject a bit I like your aircraft carrier but trying to find one in the UK proved too expensive so I did a search and found a birds eye view of a US aircraft carrier at sea so I "cut" the picture into four pieces to print out and paste onto a bigger piece of cardboard, then raise it up off the floor a bit and I will have a carrier to land on I just have to ignore the aircraft already on the deck
Old Jan 31, 2012, 11:58 PM
HeliWannaB
Fort Collins, CO, US
Joined Jul 2007
458 Posts
Hi all. I just decided to play today as I get replacement blades.. and decided to reverse them - meaning not only 3 near the body and 2 away from the body.. but I actually installed them up-side-down Well, this allows the heli to fly upside down Sort of cool.. but it does have a huge TBE.. It just gets worse to the point where it crashes... Now.. I know.. .why bother.. but it just got me thinking what the heck causes TBE when it's upside down, and how to correct it? It would be sort of cool to have a stable helicopter flying this way.... I'll post a pic in a few It does look quite.. cool
Any ideas anyone? I did not check same blades installed correctly.. but I doubt they will prove to be bad.. I think it's just something needs an adjustment because of the way it works now.. maybe some like length on the flybar... not sure So far
Thx.
GT
gregt@post.pl is offline Find More Posts by gregt@post.pl