HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2012, 07:53 AM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,327 Posts
After reading the thread I figured I get the umx yak and it's bigger brother. Got both yesterday and they sure look nice. Thanks Chris for the quick service, I'm impressed with them. Now to decided on how I'm going build and paint em up.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:12 AM
United Kingdom, England, Worcester
Joined May 2010
626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBowker View Post
My vote would be for the 22". I always had more fun with my 22"er due to the extra power, I'd also recommend the 22"er since it should fly outside a little better than the 18" since you said you didnt have an indoor facility. The 22"er on 2s 240's is a good as a backyard flyer.

Chris
That would be good, though I don't have Beast gear for it!

I've got the 300 gear so the 18" makes more sense, unless there's a cheap way to retrofit it?

At the moment I'm currently debating between the Dynamic Foamy yak54 + this - the Dynamic Foamy is only winning due to cost of it getting here (as you know with shipping across the pond). The only thing I'm unsure of is which would fly "better"!
Add1ct3dd is online now Find More Posts by Add1ct3dd
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:16 AM
RC Bum 4 Hire
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined May 2004
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Add1ct3dd View Post
That would be good, though I don't have Beast gear for it!

I've got the 300 gear so the 18" makes more sense, unless there's a cheap way to retrofit it?

At the moment I'm currently debating between the Dynamic Foamy yak54 + this - the Dynamic Foamy is only winning due to cost of it getting here (as you know with shipping across the pond). The only thing I'm unsure of is which would fly "better"!
If shipping costs are going to eat you alive I'd just buy the Dynamic kit considering your location(hows that for honest advice?) Having said that I do think my kits have the potential to fly slower and smoother for a couple reasons, one I think the wing loading is better on my Yaks, and if I'm not mistaken the dynamic kits are cut from thinner foam, this decreses the cubic wing loading, often making the model feel more like a dart and less like an aerobatic plane. Having said that Ive only flown my models so I can't really comment on any performance difference between the two.

Chris
ChrisBowker is offline Find More Posts by ChrisBowker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Painted Bowker Yak 55 for sale
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:54 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,215 Posts
Thank you Chris for an awesome plane. Finally got to fly today but was fighting the wind. Very nimble little guy! Flies great. Using bravo sx motor with 5043 prop. I will have to build your 22 kits soon. Can't decide if I want to use as3x or not.

J
jabsten is online now Find More Posts by jabsten
Last edited by jabsten; Feb 02, 2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:11 PM
Can't get enough
Joined May 2010
2,215 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the kind words about the kit Lee. I'm interested to see the performance of that motor at our elevation. I have another 22" project waiting to be converted to Gcode I'd be interested in using one on.

Chris
What project Your 18 kit was so nice to build, I am thinking about the 22! I just wish you could still do the prepaint!

J
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:45 AM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,327 Posts
Nice yak, jabsten. I need to pickup some of the bravo motors, plus build my plane.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:18 PM
RC Bum 4 Hire
Joined May 2004
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
What project Your 18 kit was so nice to build, I am thinking about the 22! I just wish you could still do the prepaint!

J
The new UMX plane will be an Extra 330, Ive been thinking a lot about doing another short run of painted kits this winter...

Chris

PS. Glad you liked the kit!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:31 PM
Can't get enough
Joined May 2010
2,215 Posts
Quote:
The new UMX plane will be an Extra 330, Ive been thinking a lot about doing another short run of painted kits this winter...

Chris

PS. Glad you liked the kit!
Count me in..I have enough gear lol. What's the dimensions?

J
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:45 PM
RC Bum 4 Hire
Joined May 2004
1,143 Posts
Probably the same sizes as the Yak, 18" & 22", maybe a little bigger to make up the wing area since my 330's wing has a higher aspect ratio.

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 19, 2012, 06:30 PM
Can't get enough
Joined May 2010
2,215 Posts
Quote:
Probably the same sizes as the Yak, 18" & 22", maybe a little bigger to make up the wing area since my 330's wing has a higher aspect ratio.

Chris
Sounds awesome Chris. My next build will definitely be the 22. I might retire my sbach v1.

J
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:15 PM
RC Bum 4 Hire
Joined May 2004
1,143 Posts
I never thought this kit would end up being as popular as it has and due to the number of requests to not stop cutting it, I decided to drop the price and add it to my web site: http://www.bowker-aircraft.com/ultra-micro-kits/

I also dropped the price on the 22" version which is also available from my web site.

Thanks for looking,
Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:39 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,941 Posts
I'm surprised you're not selling Micro versions of your X-35. I have a Superfly like wing with the same control setup (aileron/taileron? tied together)and love it.
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:53 PM
RC Bum 4 Hire
Joined May 2004
1,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I R Irv View Post
I'm surprised you're not selling Micro versions of your X-35. I have a Superfly like wing with the same control setup (aileron/taileron? tied together)and love it.
TODD
I think it would be to hard to make the umx bricks work with the x35 design, tho a micro project like that would be fun.

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 09, 2012, 01:43 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,941 Posts
Quote:
I think it would be to hard to make the umx bricks work with the x35 design, tho a micro project like that would be fun.

Chris
This would be perfect for the Stryker or Sbach guts. Send me a 14 or 15'' version and I'll prove it. I also have a Superfly like wing in my blog with the brick behind a mid-prop and it flies great also.
TODD
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Jan 02, 2013, 07:12 PM
RC Bum 4 Hire
Joined May 2004
1,143 Posts
The ultra micro 330 is almost ready
RCG Plus Member