HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 19, 2012, 10:12 AM
RC Bum 4 Hire
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined May 2004
1,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssflylow View Post
Any chance this plane could be picked up as a BNF unit for under $200.00?
not unless someone like Horizon was interested in purchasing the .dxf file..Which would be very cool

Chris
ChrisBowker is offline Find More Posts by ChrisBowker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gen2 Bowker CF hardware
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 15, 2012, 12:05 PM
Sandy, UT
Joined Nov 2009
25 Posts
Chris,
Just ordered a Yak54 kit from you...thanks for the quick response. Perhaps I will take pictures of it along side my 37.5% Yak 54 (ZDZ160) when it's finished to show "big" and "little" brother together!

We fly in a church during the winter months but I will take it over there before winter when it's ready to fly. I, too, was a bit disappointed in the UMX 300 and 4site for indoor flying purposes. It will be nice to use their "guts" for this plane.

Thanks for designing this plane and making the kits available.
Steve
y2k6vette is offline Find More Posts by y2k6vette
Old Jun 15, 2012, 05:36 PM
RC Bum 4 Hire
Joined May 2004
1,153 Posts
Not a problem, Thanks again for the order, it'd be great to see some pics of the two!

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:37 PM
Albuquerqe, NM
Joined Mar 2002
218 Posts
Hey Folks,
Used to be on here all the time but got out of the hobby for a while, man have things gotten smaller, thought my 35" Yak foamy was small. Ok!! I want to build this plane, just ordered the conversion for my JR 8103 to 2.4 ghz, I would just like to buy separate parts so what do think of these parts for electronics:

Speed controller Brushless .8 gms

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._ESC_3_5A.html

Motor: 3.1 gms
http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?productID=892

Servos: 4 ea. 1.7 gms each
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=17540

Receiver: 2.00 gms

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Receiver.html

Thanks,
LeeU
LeeU is offline Find More Posts by LeeU
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:30 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeU View Post
Hey Folks,
Used to be on here all the time but got out of the hobby for a while, man have things gotten smaller, thought my 35" Yak foamy was small. Ok!! I want to build this plane, just ordered the conversion for my JR 8103 to 2.4 ghz, I would just like to buy separate parts so what do think of these parts for electronics:

Speed controller Brushless .8 gms

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._ESC_3_5A.html

Motor: 3.1 gms
http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?productID=892

Servos: 4 ea. 1.7 gms each
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=17540

Receiver: 2.00 gms

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._Receiver.html

Thanks,
LeeU
You'll save yourself a lot of headaches just using the gear from a used umx 300 or 4-Site and a Thunder Power or Hyperion 160 mAH battery. There's no single cell brushless setup that will beat the Parkzone brushed setup. Remove the lip on the front of the hole the motor slides into so you can remove the motor from the front when it needs to be replaced. Set you flight timer to about 5 min. to help prevent overheating the motor.

Check out the current draw on the AP-03. You'll need a "gigantic" battery to feed it.

I bought two of those ESCs. One works OK, but doesn't like to arm all the time and has a pretty big dead zone on the lower half of the throttle stick travel. The other just gets hot when powered up. The FETs are of fairly low quality. Many of the micro heli guys using them are replacing the FETs with better quality ones.
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:38 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,955 Posts
Lee if you want to keep it 1-cellBrushless then that motor isn't going to cut it. This site has a motor and esc that would work, also look at the batteries required. You might be able to use a 25c 240mah bat.
TODD
http://microaces.com/products.php?pg=1&spg=3#bottom
I R Irv is offline Find More Posts by I R Irv
Last edited by I R Irv; Oct 03, 2012 at 09:44 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 10:00 PM
RC Bum 4 Hire
Joined May 2004
1,153 Posts
I tend to agree with Tim on the subject of using the UMX 300 gear, all of the ultra micro HK servo's Ive used were just garbage, granted I have not used those...Ive also seen the same issues with the ESC as Tim. If you want a brushless setup...and you need to buy the gear...I would strongly suggest getting the 22" version, it runs on the UMX beast gear(park 180 on 2s) you can buy all of the gear separately but I think its still cheaper to buy a Beast and gut it. Plus with our thin air the 22" version really fly's like the 18" does when you are at sea level.

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 11:08 PM
Mack
Australia, VIC, Mentone
Joined Jun 2004
512 Posts
Not sure about the ESC you suggest, Lee, but the HK OrangeRx R415 and the matching HK-5320 servos I have found to be really excellent. The latter avoid the common hassles experienced with the linear micro servos.
Peter Mack is offline Find More Posts by Peter Mack
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:04 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,070 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBowker View Post
...all of the ultra micro HK servo's Ive used were just garbage, granted I have not used those....
My experience with HK ultramicro servos is quite different, and in particular, the 1.7g servo is excellent!

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:07 PM
Albuquerqe, NM
Joined Mar 2002
218 Posts
Thanks guys, guss I'll pick up a UNX 300, is the gear in the 300 the same as the Yak?
Thanks,
Lee
Old Oct 05, 2012, 09:37 PM
RC Bum 4 Hire
Joined May 2004
1,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeU View Post
Thanks guys, guss I'll pick up a UNX 300, is the gear in the 300 the same as the Yak?
Thanks,
Lee
Correct, the Yak was designed to run on the gear from the umx 4site or 300.

Chris
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:26 AM
United Kingdom, England, Worcester
Joined May 2010
1,431 Posts
So how does this compare to a 300? I have a 300 and no doubt it will eventually be toast, so am wondering whether I make the move to this airframe or find a replacement 300 airframe?
Add1ct3dd is online now Find More Posts by Add1ct3dd
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:36 AM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Add1ct3dd View Post
So how does this compare to a 300? I have a 300 and no doubt it will eventually be toast, so am wondering whether I make the move to this airframe or find a replacement 300 airframe?
Buy Chris's airframe, you WILL NOT be sorry. The two airframes are like night and day, with Chris's coming out the shining ray of light.
Mr. foambuilder is offline Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:31 PM
Albuquerqe, NM
Joined Mar 2002
218 Posts
Just bought a UMX Beast with the AS3X gear, need a 22" Yak kit now. Is there a build thread for the 22"?
Thanks,
Lee
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:39 PM
Albuquerqe, NM
Joined Mar 2002
218 Posts
Chris, just noticed you live in ABQ, I live on the West Side and was flying the crap out of the Beast cause I know where the gear will end up, on one of your 22's. I found the build thread for the 22". it said you’re not cutting any more is that true?
Thanks,
Lee