HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:23 AM
Registered User
cedarville's Avatar
USA, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Nov 2010
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marksextra View Post
I'd like one of these but I just don't have the equipment. Dont know near what you guys know about this stuff. Any suggestions?
All that's needed:
  • One UMX 4-site or Extra 300 flown until just a pile of pieces (might as well have some fun)
  • A kit from Chris Bowker
  • A bottle of foam safe "gap filling" CA and some "kicker"
  • A razor blade or hobby kinfe
  • Dubro hinge tape
  • A Sharpie marker or two for color
  • One, maybe two, evenings work
cedarville is online now Find More Posts by cedarville
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 17, 2012, 10:58 AM
Once u go yak u never go back
marksextra's Avatar
Erie, PA
Joined Mar 2005
1,290 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarville View Post
All that's needed:
  • One UMX 4-site or Extra 300 flown until just a pile of pieces (might as well have some fun)
  • A kit from Chris Bowker
  • A bottle of foam safe "gap filling" CA and some "kicker"
  • A razor blade or hobby kinfe
  • Dubro hinge tape
  • A Sharpie marker or two for color
  • One, maybe two, evenings work
alright. I get the picture. I have one umxExtra300 now and I was thinking it would be nice to get a backup plane. (guts included) before I end up missing a nights worth of flying because I crashed the 300. BUT if that's what the cool kids are doing then I guess I'll do it too.
marksextra is offline Find More Posts by marksextra
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2012, 11:56 PM
He bowls overhand
threcixty's Avatar
Falcon, Colorado
Joined Oct 2004
1,558 Posts
Just finished Chris's 18" MX2.. Wow that thing flies nice! I used a Suhkoi motor and brick with some 4site aileron servos, and a 4site prop. It hovers for the first minute or so on a fresh 120 Polyquest battery, but I am at 6400 MSL.

This thing flies fantastic! It basically ke's hands off, harriers and spins are very neutral, and flies more like a big foamy then a 18".

Great job, Chris! Very impressed!

Jim
threcixty is offline Find More Posts by threcixty
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 05:35 AM
Registered User
BryanEW710's Avatar
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,648 Posts
Is the Tiger 1302 the motor you'd recommend for 1s brushless on this bird? How would you mount it?
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:46 AM
RC Bum 4 Hire
ChrisBowker's Avatar
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined May 2004
1,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
Is the Tiger 1302 the motor you'd recommend for 1s brushless on this bird? How would you mount it?
the t1302 is the only brushless setup Ive run. I wasn't really impressed with it tho, the power was only slightly better than the brushed setups and the esc adapter left something to be desired. The one in the video on the first page was mounted to a .020 carbon plate disk that was pinned to the front of the model with 4x .028 carbon rods. If you want to go this route I can cut the same carbon mount I used for an extra $3.


Chris
ChrisBowker is offline Find More Posts by ChrisBowker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gen2 Bowker CF hardware
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:24 AM
Registered User
BryanEW710's Avatar
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBowker View Post
the t1302 is the only brushless setup Ive run. I wasn't really impressed with it tho, the power was only slightly better than the brushed setups and the esc adapter left something to be desired. The one in the video on the first page was mounted to a .020 carbon plate disk that was pinned to the front of the model with 4x .028 carbon rods. If you want to go this route I can cut the same carbon mount I used for an extra $3.
I was mostly curious because I know the brushed motors have an annoyingly short lifespan (I'm considering one of these planes because the plane I built using recycled 4-Site gear is pretty beat up) and I thought that going brushless was a good way to avoid that issue.

The plane seemed to perform relatively well on that motor combo in your video, so I thought I'd ask.
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 01:29 PM
plank n shankbone pilot
red_z06's Avatar
Dumont, NJ
Joined Feb 2005
869 Posts
What is the flight time with 1s setup? We have been playing with TechOne miniYak on a 2s setup for a while. It originally started as 66g with 2s250 at 17g. It was just too heavy for a living room 3d other than hovering.

I am building a 2nd one and it looks to be about 42g with 2s with AR6400LBL. I have never considered 1s yet.

I am using Tiger C05 5.5g motor.

It seems your airframe is about 1g lighter with 1.5in bigger wingspan.
red_z06 is offline Find More Posts by red_z06
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 07:49 PM
RC Bum 4 Hire
ChrisBowker's Avatar
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined May 2004
1,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_z06 View Post
What is the flight time with 1s setup? We have been playing with TechOne miniYak on a 2s setup for a while. It originally started as 66g with 2s250 at 17g. It was just too heavy for a living room 3d other than hovering.

I am building a 2nd one and it looks to be about 42g with 2s with AR6400LBL. I have never considered 1s yet.

I am using Tiger C05 5.5g motor.

It seems your airframe is about 1g lighter with 1.5in bigger wingspan.
I don't remember my flight times on the 18" yak...I havent had one in the air in sometime now. On 2s I'd think you'd have better luck flying the 22" version, It was designed to run off the AR6400BL and a park 180 on 2s(video posted below) Kits for the 22" are $42.00+shipping. Flight times on the 22" version on 2s are about 4.5 min. My 22" yaks all built in around 50-55g.

Thanks,
Chris

micro yak2 (4 min 26 sec)
ChrisBowker is offline Find More Posts by ChrisBowker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gen2 Bowker CF hardware
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:29 PM
plank n shankbone pilot
red_z06's Avatar
Dumont, NJ
Joined Feb 2005
869 Posts
Nice flying!

I do have enough outdoor foamies and also indoor foamies. I need a full 3d small livingroom flyer.

I may have to switch to brushed brick and go 1s.

Justin Jee - TechOne MiniYak - Walkaround - 2011-12-29 (4 min 11 sec)


Above was at 55g of 11g reduction from original and very high alpha harriers were doable in there. Since then I pulled two 4.1g micro servos and replace them with 2 1.7g linear servos. While still using two 160s, 120s starts to get respectable flight time with additional weight loss at 46.5g with 120s.

I need to look for a 3.5-4g motor.
red_z06 is offline Find More Posts by red_z06
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:33 PM
Registered User
BryanEW710's Avatar
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,648 Posts
I haven't seen any close-ups of the nose, Chris, but is there any easy method of changing motors using one of the PZ brushed motor mounts?
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:09 PM
RC Bum 4 Hire
ChrisBowker's Avatar
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined May 2004
1,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
I haven't seen any close-ups of the nose, Chris, but is there any easy method of changing motors using one of the PZ brushed motor mounts?
I always glued my motors on, but if you are worried about the airframe outlasting the motor I'd recommend taping it on with hinge tape. I don't personally do this on my larger models as I have a big issue with twisting motors off, but I have seen and flown a larger 32ish" foamie with a Hacker a-10-15s that was held on with nothing but hinge tape.

Chris
ChrisBowker is offline Find More Posts by ChrisBowker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gen2 Bowker CF hardware
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:11 PM
Registered User
BryanEW710's Avatar
United States, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Sep 2010
1,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBowker View Post
I always glued my motors on, but if you are worried about the airframe outlasting the motor I'd recommend taping it on with hinge tape. I don't personally do this on my larger models as I have a big issue with twisting motors off, but I have seen and flown a larger 32ish" foamie with a Hacker a-10-15s that was held on with nothing but hinge tape.

Chris
Wow!
BryanEW710 is offline Find More Posts by BryanEW710
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:23 PM
RC Bum 4 Hire
ChrisBowker's Avatar
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined May 2004
1,150 Posts
I was just doing some looking around and came across this: http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?productID=892 as a possible 1s brushless replacement for the 18" version, HK lists this as a 3.1g motor, and Bob says it will produce 47g's of thrust on a 5x3 on 1s. This is a little less than the claimed 51g's of thrust on the t-1302 but at 2.3g's less the AP03 could be worth looking into. Can anyone comment on the performance of AP03 in a 3D application?

Chris
ChrisBowker is offline Find More Posts by ChrisBowker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gen2 Bowker CF hardware
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 09:24 PM
RC Bum 4 Hire
ChrisBowker's Avatar
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined May 2004
1,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
Wow!
Until I saw it in person I didn't believe the post I had read about it in the F3P section....
ChrisBowker is offline Find More Posts by ChrisBowker
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gen2 Bowker CF hardware
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:52 PM
Addicted
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2011
1,125 Posts
Just ordered the 18" from Chris. Is it here yet?
Sixinarow is offline Find More Posts by Sixinarow
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Aero Works Yak 54 .90-1.20 NIB tab2ib Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Jul 20, 2011 04:52 PM
Sold Aero Works Yak 54 .90-1.20 NIB tab2ib Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Jul 19, 2011 08:40 PM
Wanted WANTED Stevens Aero CAP 40e and Mountain Models eTana Kits NIB punkindrublik Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Mar 17, 2011 02:57 PM
Discussion Qui Que Yak vs Aero Works Yak 54 Txtoby Competition Aerobatics 1 Sep 05, 2008 08:34 PM