334 Posts
Let me check!
f1wanabe is offline Find More Posts by f1wanabe
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2011, 07:41 PM
United States, PA, Easton
Joined Dec 2010
334 Posts
This one looks pretty good for the price. There is a 3000 mah one for a few cents more: this should give you 4 or 5 min fllight time unless you are going full out, then 3 or 4 min. But the weight is better than the 4000 or 5000.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl3300-4s1p-40c-4444.html
Old Oct 18, 2011, 09:05 PM
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2011
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1wanabe View Post
This one looks pretty good for the price. There is a 3000 mah one for a few cents more: this should give you 4 or 5 min fllight time unless you are going full out, then 3 or 4 min. But the weight is better than the 4000 or 5000.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl3300-4s1p-40c-4444.html
Ordered the following:

Battery

Fan/Motor/ESC
(x2)

Do I need anything else?

I appreciate all the help!!!
kerrycorcoran is offline Find More Posts by kerrycorcoran
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:03 PM
Joined Dec 2010
334 Posts
Excellent! Congratulations! That battery looks good and i may get one! The esc should come with bullet connectors for the motor but you may need a battery connector (like a deans connector, for example). The 70mm nozzles are availabe from hobby lobby if you want to be amazed by this plane:
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/360_degre...ueryId=2040242
And for the 120% you will need carbon rods. I recommend 3mm rods. The square ones are also nice. A little bit (10 in.) 14 guage wire for battery extention.For the tv nozzles i use control cables in sleeves so i can keep servos out of the way betwen nacelles and route the cables to the nozzles. They work well on the ailerons and rudders as well. With the nozzles i did not do rudders. I have the yaw nozzle control active all the time.
Magnets for the cockpit? Dont know what else. Oh, lots of nice paint if you want it to look like vicentel's! Ill be doing that soon.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:54 PM
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2011
132 Posts
I had actually ordered the other TV nozzles about 2 weeks ago...unfortunately they state they're still not in stock.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:41 AM
Joined Dec 2010
334 Posts
I also ordered the su 34 ones and they are still out of stock. Those are good for 64mm, so you may want to order the larger ones like mine. They are $18 each. Price went up! But, maybe if you call them to find out when the other ones will be in stock you can make a deal on the larger ones.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 09:07 AM
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2011
132 Posts
I will call them this AM and ask they cancel my order and replace with the "in-stock" nozzles. Fingers crossed.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 11:01 AM
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2011
132 Posts
Had placed my order for the Thrust Vector nozzles earlier this month; at the time the nozzles were on back order. I called Hobby-Lobby this morning to ask if I can replace the current order with the other nozzles (that are in stock), even though they other nozzles cost more. Spoke with the representative and she said it'd be no problem to replace the order and she would give me the new nozzles at the original price. Very happy with the customer service thus far!!!
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:04 PM
Joined Dec 2010
334 Posts
I am happy with them too. I was hoping they would do that for you. Did they tell you how long until the others come in? I want to edf a couple of things with the spare 64s. It'll be good to see another 120% Shumate EDF plane in the air! This weekend I should take up the new and improved plane. The extended wing should do well.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:33 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
Congrats Kerry! I've been wanting to purchase that same 70mm EDF combo. You'll have to tell us what you think with respect to power, static thrust, amp draw. Also the F-35 nozzles will work better with your 70mm fans since they're designed for 70mm fans and not 64mm fans. Please keep posting pictures. Also will you be making full flying elevators or will you be doing what I did...slot and hinge?

Vic
vicentel is offline Find More Posts by vicentel
Old Oct 19, 2011, 02:29 PM
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2011
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1wanabe View Post
Did they tell you how long until the others come in?
She mentioned they were supposed ot be in the shipment they received today; however they were not. She was going to follow up with her supplpier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicentel View Post
You'll have to tell us what you think with respect to power, static thrust, amp draw. Also the F-35 nozzles will work better with your 70mm fans since they're designed for 70mm fans and not 64mm fans. Please keep posting pictures. Also will you be making full flying elevators or will you be doing what I did...slot and hinge?

Vic
Honestly, I really won't have an idea as to what to compare this setup to. Keep in mind this is my 2nd build, and I have yet to fly my 1st build (Shumate 100% F15). I just couldn't resist this build after reading all the enthusiasm yourself and F1 had posted.

As for the elevators, I am building my per your 120% printout and build; however you did it I am doing it. Honestly, I know too little about this hobby to start making my own tweaks to a deisgn. Hopefully someday.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 08:07 PM
Joined Dec 2010
334 Posts
Thanks for the info on the nozzles. I will check back with them soon.

I would definitely do vicentel's elevons. I have to be very careful with the full elevons when landing. At this weight they could snap if you landed on them. This happened when i tried to hand launch the first time and may happen again if I get high alpha wrong! Vic's set up would be easier to fix! I know the flying elevons will bite me one day, but they work!
Old Oct 20, 2011, 10:28 AM
Joined Dec 2010
334 Posts
So, are you done yet, kerrycorcoran?
Old Oct 20, 2011, 11:23 AM
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2011
132 Posts
Ha, not close. Still have quite a bit of cutting to complete. I keep kicking around the idea of building a DIY CNC Foam cutter; have seen several plans on the internet - might end up being a winter/spring project.

Took some time last night and cut out (using Dollar Tree Foamboard) an FPV plane; using plans from Mikey's RC. This thing is NOT pretty, but should fly easily and has ample storage capability. Might be able to get it thrown in the air this weekend. Wouldn't mind if I crashed it, not much to it and would be VERY easy to repair for sure.
Old Oct 20, 2011, 12:50 PM
Joined Dec 2010
334 Posts
Just don't paint it! The paper peels off. Don't know if you used it before. Just did the witch for my daughter and at least the paper looks like flowing fabric because of the ripples.