HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 18, 2011, 02:39 PM
United States, PA, Easton
Joined Dec 2010
334 Posts
Another question is how much do you want to spend. I spent about $80 for the 64mm cyclones, e-RC 3500kv motors that vic uses and turnigy trust 55amp escs. Hobby king has the 70mms combo (fan, 2900kv motor and 45amp esc) that I am using for$50. If you want a 64mm set up that performs like my 70mms you would be looking at$100 per unit because you will need a. 60-80 amp esc. Finally, the 70mms weigh about the same as the 64mm but the nacelles need to be larger. This is my combo. It's nice because the esc and battery wires are long enough to put the escs inside the intakes. Deans connectors are pre installed.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11165
f1wanabe is online now Find More Posts by f1wanabe
Last edited by f1wanabe; Oct 18, 2011 at 02:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 18, 2011, 02:54 PM
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2011
132 Posts
Appreciate all the input guys!!

Okay, as for the performance, not too concerned about that at this time. I am only building this model because the enthusiasm you guys have shown.

I can handle cutting and sanding, but still too new to the process to determine the best motor/electronics setup.

Would either of you be willing to draw up a part lists (of parts in stock) that would make for a decent power train setup? Doesn't have to be the top performer, just something that will fly. I already put in the order for the TV nozzles (still on back order).

I am open to either 64mm or 70mm - just need your guidence (and links) to proceed.

I will be keeping a blog of the build along the way; hoping someday it could help a newbie like myself.

Thanks in advance.
kerrycorcoran is offline Find More Posts by kerrycorcoran
Old Oct 18, 2011, 02:55 PM
Joined Dec 2010
334 Posts
Hi Vic,
I got the 6 blade fans but one of them detonated. So I put in the 4 blades that came with it. I reordered the 6 blades from edf and bought a magnetic balancer from hobby lobby. Every blade I own is off, but the cyclones require the most balancing. What a difference, Though, when you balance them. Motors hummmmm! I swear I got a few thousand more rpms out of them
Old Oct 18, 2011, 02:58 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
Here is a link from HobbPartz. They have a 64mm and 70mm combo as well. Unfortunately I believe the 64mm combo is for a 3S setup which will not give you enough thrust so you may have to go with the 70mm edf combo:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-70mm-edf-combo.html
vicentel is offline Find More Posts by vicentel
Old Oct 18, 2011, 03:26 PM
Joined Dec 2010
334 Posts
Those look good Vic. Price is right too. Btw, the hobbyking combo I linked is a freewing unit. The same one edf hobbies sells.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 04:22 PM
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2011
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicentel View Post
Here is a link from HobbPartz. They have a 64mm and 70mm combo as well. Unfortunately I believe the 64mm combo is for a 3S setup which will not give you enough thrust so you may have to go with the 70mm edf combo:

Vic,

I am building per your 120% plans, which (of the 64mm or 70mm) would be a better fit for this build?
Old Oct 18, 2011, 04:23 PM
Crystal River Fl.
Joined Jul 2008
3,681 Posts
Kerry, I have one of hobbypartz 64mm,,, this one,http://www.hobbypartz.com/88e-adf64-300l-kv4300.html It will run on 3S, but really is a performer on 4S! Quality seems really good, in balance, just put it in and have fun. Now, would it hold up to WOT all the time? maybe not, but it was so fast that I flew the L39 at about 60% most of the time, and it was plenty fast enough... I also have a 70mm from HK and their motor, whole set up is like about $25 and it is a good performer on 4S, let me know if you need the link to it. Good luck! w.
Waltjg is offline Find More Posts by Waltjg
Old Oct 18, 2011, 04:34 PM
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2011
132 Posts
Would something like this work:

ESC
Motor & Fan
Battery

Thoughts??
Old Oct 18, 2011, 04:43 PM
Joined Dec 2010
334 Posts
I have just redone mine custom for the 70mms. Each nacelle is about 1/2 inch wider than the 64mm nacelles because of the extra 6mm on the fan, and because I have the intake rings on them now. When I modified the 64mm nacelles to fit the 70s there was no room. The 70s allow you to tool around at a lower throttle, whereas on my 64s I was wot all the time. I did use a 4000mah 4s whereas Vicentel is using a smaller, lighter battery. That could be why I was at 100% all the time. The 4000 gives me 6-7 min flight time but weighs 15.5 oz!! If you don't mind the big nacelles, the 70mm adds to the experience.

Last edited by f1wanabe; Oct 18, 2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 05:01 PM
Joined Dec 2010
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrycorcoran View Post
Would something like this work:

ESC
Motor & Fan
Battery

Thoughts??
That combo is a little weak especially with that battery you have listed which weighs 19 oz! Vic's set up is at 32oz each, if I remember him saying, and mine is supposed to be 42oz each. I think they are 35-37, but not 40. The ones you show say they 26oz. Vic's weight is about as light as it will get with paint, so you will need something with a total of 65-70 oz thrust to have fun with it. That combo Vic posted looks good, as well as the freewing/hobbyking one I have. A combo has been tested and used together and on the web site you can see what the reviews say about actual performance. I would bite the bullet and check out the ones at Tower Hobbies. They have better customer service than HK. And for better performance, try a 3000-3500. My 4000 is kinda heavy at 15.5 oz!
Old Oct 18, 2011, 05:03 PM
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2011
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1wanabe View Post
I have just redone mine custom for the 70mms.
I like the idea of the 70mm, however they're out of stock right now. I was hoping to order something today so I could proceed with the build - need the motor/fan so I can build around it.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 05:23 PM
Joined Dec 2010
334 Posts
It looks like the hobby parTz ones are in stock. I was able to place in the cart.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 06:20 PM
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2011
132 Posts
Quote:
It looks like the hobby parTz ones are in stock. I was able to place in the cart.
I like that setup, but I don't need servos. Been spending a ton of $$$ getting started in this hobby and have several spare servos. Can you spec out a fan/motor/esc combo only?
Old Oct 18, 2011, 06:30 PM
Joined Dec 2010
334 Posts
Well, it will be hard to find a combo for less than that. The servos are essentially free. I paid $44 for my combo without servos. Even if you put props on it a combo would be $50. If you need it quick then you will want to buy in the u.s. Let me look around.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 06:34 PM
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2011
132 Posts
Quote:
Well, it will be hard to find a combo for less than that. The servos are essentially free. I paid $44 for my combo without servos. Even if you put props on it a combo would be $50. If you need it quick then you will want to buy in the u.s. Let me look around.
Well then I'll take the plunge. Is Hobbypartz based in the US? Do you have a battery recommendation (from the same site)?