HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 06, 2011, 10:53 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
Build Log
120% Shumate Su-37 EDF with Vectored Thrust Build

If you don't already know I really love the Su-37 design. This particular model has been a little over a year in the making. It started life as a profile edf based on tomhe (twin 50mm edfs) Su-37 profile pusher prop design. I then added the jetset44 3D nose. That model had a very simple thrust vectoring system (TV) using depron plates. That design worked pretty well as a park flyer but was lacking performance. If you want to see the pictures and the videos you can check out my blog (just click on my name).

I then modified the design, and it became a hybrid of tomhe, jetset44's and a few tweaks from me. I put together a more powerful EDF system using a 4S pack and twin 64mm EDFs. I also incorporated TV nozzles from Hobbylobby. Performance was awesome but I didn't like the large nacelles.

So I decided to go strictly with jetset44's design, scale it up to 120% and modify the nacelles for 64mm EDFs and TV nozzles. I modified the elevators so they are no longer full flying elevators. I also added ailerons. I do want to add the canards (a la RCPowers), and a gyro...but that will be some time in the future

For me it was a long time coming but I hope you like the end results. Currently the plane has the following specs:

wingspan: 35.5"
edf: 2x 64mm EDFs Cyclone 6 blade from EDF Hobbies
motor: 2x 3500KV eRC for 3-4cell LiPo from Hobby Lobby
ESC: 2x 45Amp - Exceed RC from HobbyPartz
Battery: 4S 3300 mAh 35C (actually with this power setup the current draw is 63Amps, so at 3300mA a 20C is fine) Sky LiPo from HobbyPartz
Servos: ail (2), elv (2), rud (2) thrust vector (3 servos, yaw, pitch, roll on 2 TV nozzles) all my servos are Hitec HS5055 Digital Metal Gear 8gm ea
Nozzles from Hobby-Lobby Su-34 (you can buy 1 for $12.99)
AUW - 59oz
Static Thrust - 70oz (estimated)
vicentel is offline Find More Posts by vicentel
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2011, 12:10 PM
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
120% Shumate Su-37 EDF

I finally got it to a point where I can maiden it.

120% Shumate Su-37 twin 64mm EDF (2 min 44 sec)
Old Oct 06, 2011, 12:50 PM
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
120% Shumate Su-37 EDF with Yellow 13 Scheme

I got the paint scheme started. I like Ace Combat's Yellow 13 paint scheme. it also seems to be a popular one here. Not an exact match to the actual scheme but you get the point. I will be adding missiles, panel lines, insignia and weathering to complete the model.
Old Oct 06, 2011, 03:45 PM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,344 Posts
Great looking model, very nicely done!
JGuilty13 is online now Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Oct 06, 2011, 04:17 PM
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
120% Shumate Su-37 EDF with Yellow 13 Scheme

Here is the final look of the model. I got the stickers, panel lines, missiles and weathering all done now. Hopefully I can get the courage and fly it in all its glory and get some video to share. Thanks Steve for such an awesome design.
Old Oct 06, 2011, 04:25 PM
United States, PA, Easton
Joined Dec 2010
334 Posts
Hello, vicentel,
Thanks for starting the new thread dedicated to the "ed-effing" of Steve Shumate's excellent su37! I was putting off building the Shumate su37 for about a year until I built several other less involved score and fold planes. That introduction video of Steve's was excellent and I wanted to be able to "do that" before I began building! I have built many of the RCPowers planes and both JMW planes and considered the Steve Shumate plane to be an excellent project to do once I've gotten more experienced due to the amount of laminating and sanding involved. What attracted me to your build was the 120% size, since I had already printed out that scale- I like my planes with a 34-36 inch wingspan. The build is as polished as a store bought plane! Your use of the 64mm edf units combined with the Hobby-lobby thrust vectoring nozzles pulled me away from prop set ups for the first time. For more thrust on my 64oz plane, I have upgraded to 70mm units. I appreciate all the help you have given me with the build, as well as wilmracer who had my attention with his 70mm EDF videos from a couple of years ago. Because you have laid out your build so nicely, I will only show a couple of pictures. I retained Steve Shumated full elevon set up in order to maximize the slow fly control, and am only using the nozzles for yaw control- no rudders.

My Maiden with 64mm EDFs:
Steve Shumate SU37 Twin EDF Maiden Flight (3 min 42 sec)

My 70mm Upgrade flight:
Steve Shumate su37 with Twin 70mm EDF and Thrust Vectoring (4 min 22 sec)
f1wanabe is offline Find More Posts by f1wanabe
Old Oct 06, 2011, 05:29 PM
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined May 2007
976 Posts
Can I take credit for being the first to do the EDF conversion with this one? I started construction of mine about 3 years ago and first flew it in 2009

Mine was before the days of easily available TV nozels... So tempted to build another one now, but another project is taking all of my build time.

http://www.youtube.com/wilmracer#p/u/23/fJ1_AckPNl0
wilmracer is online now Find More Posts by wilmracer
Last edited by wilmracer; Oct 07, 2011 at 07:26 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2011, 05:45 PM
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmracer View Post
Can I take credit for being the first to do the EDF conversion with this one? I started construction of mine about 3 years ago and first flew it in 2009

Mine was before the days of easily available TV nozels... So tempted to build another one now, but another project is taking all of my build time.
Of course! In fact you were the one who got me interested in making the Su-37 an EDF. It was only the addition of the TV nozzles from Hobby-Lobby that pushed me over the edge and got me into actually building it.

Vic
Old Oct 06, 2011, 06:15 PM
Joined Dec 2010
334 Posts
Yes, wilmracer, i gave you props in my post for the 70 mms on your plane. Yours was the first edf i saw of this plane! After wanting more from the 64mm set up i replayed your video several times to check out the thrust of the 70s. And then there's that paint job!

THese tv nozzles should be easy to retrofit onto your plane.
Old Oct 07, 2011, 10:39 AM
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
Hey F1,

Can you post some pictures of the handle you created for hand-launching your model? I'd like to replicated it on mine if I can. I tried catapult launching my model yesterday with 16lbs of pull. Apparently I did not secure the tow hook to the model enough so when I released the pin to launch the plane it ripped the hook clean off. So either I find a way to attach the tow hook more securely or I figure out a way to hand launch the plane myself.

Thanks,
Vic
Old Oct 07, 2011, 10:44 AM
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2011
132 Posts
This is an awesome build thread!!
kerrycorcoran is offline Find More Posts by kerrycorcoran
Old Oct 07, 2011, 10:48 AM
Joined Dec 2010
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrycorcoran View Post
This is an awesome build thread!!
Do I know you? Haha.
Old Oct 07, 2011, 10:50 AM
United States, NE
Joined Sep 2011
132 Posts
Ha. If you don't, by the time I am done with this build you wil know me....because of all the questions I'll have for you!
kerrycorcoran is offline Find More Posts by kerrycorcoran
Old Oct 07, 2011, 11:00 AM
Joined Dec 2010
334 Posts
Hi Vic,
For some reason this thread does not load on tapatalk. I am having trouble loading a pic. I did not use the kind of handle i have on the JMW tornado due to all the electronics between the nacelles. What I did was put a 3mm carbon tube through both nacelles at the cg point which not only stiffens the whole ane, but allows me to hold the plane between my thumb and index finger, and my other 3 fingers push against the rod for a good solid launch. Let me see if I can load a picture of it :

http://www.rcpowers.com/forum/attach...2&d=1316438025
Old Oct 07, 2011, 12:08 PM
Joined Aug 2010
255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1wanabe View Post
Hi Vic,
For some reason this thread does not load on tapatalk. I am having trouble loading a pic. I did not use the kind of handle i have on the JMW tornado due to all the electronics between the nacelles. What I did was put a 3mm carbon tube through both nacelles at the cg point which not only stiffens the whole ane, but allows me to hold the plane between my thumb and index finger, and my other 3 fingers push against the rod for a good solid launch. Let me see if I can load a picture of it :

http://www.rcpowers.com/forum/attach...2&d=1316438025
Got it! Thanks! I think I'm going to go with a handle just so I don't have to lug the catapult around. I'm also considering adding the canards mixed with the elevator but I don't want to have to cut it open to give me access. Oh well perhaps after I crash it. I would mix the canards with the aileron but I'm out of channels Figures, I thought the DX8 would give me plenty but now I'm actually considering the 9503 or the JR12x.

Vic