HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2011, 05:03 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Discussion
Can you run a boat with like a dx6i?

New to this part of the threads and i dident see where to post this question.

My dad wants to get a boat and he will be getting a 450 heli very soon with the dx6i and (i am asking for him) i am wondering if he can bind his dx6i to a pro boat for example, with out modding it or does it not have the same techolegy and would need to by like a pistol grip controler?

thanks
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2011, 05:39 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,785 Posts
All the spektrum marine receivers will bind to a DX6i, anything with an MRxxx part number will work. The SR (surface) receivers won't work with the air transmitters though, so check the boat in question before buying.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Oct 05, 2011, 05:57 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
All the spektrum marine receivers will bind to a DX6i, anything with an MRxxx part number will work. The SR (surface) receivers won't work with the air transmitters though, so check the boat in question before buying.
ok thank you do you know if you can do the same with an rc car?
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Oct 05, 2011, 06:32 PM
Canada, ON, Peterborough
Joined Nov 2009
543 Posts
Will work fine in a car ONLY if you use a waterproof marine rx.
siberianhusky is offline Find More Posts by siberianhusky
Old Oct 05, 2011, 06:54 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,785 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoned doggie View Post
ok thank you do you know if you can do the same with an rc car?
See my above post, air transmitters won't work with surface (SR) receivers. The spektrum site has a full compatibility listing if you have any specific questions.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 08:25 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,181 Posts
Just get a air receiver and use means to waterproof it.

I use them in my rock crawlers with my 6i
1320fastback is online now Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Oct 05, 2011, 08:32 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,240 Posts
Quote:
See my above post, air transmitters won't work with surface (SR) receivers. The spektrum site has a full compatibility listing if you have any specific questions.
There is no air and ground with 2.4 radios. All that is needed are receivers that are compatible with transmitters.
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Oct 06, 2011, 12:29 AM
British Columbia
Joined Oct 2008
343 Posts
Quote:
Not quite accurate. Air Tx's DX6i, DX7 and DX8 will work with the SR300 surface MR200 marine Rx. JR9303 and 9505 will work as well.

It's the other way around that compatibility issues arise. I can't use my DX3C surface Tx with an AR6100 Rx, unfortunately. I was hoping to load up some buggies with the cheapie HobbyKing DSM2 Rx's...no luck.

edit: I was mistaken about the SR300, it's the marine Rx MR200 that is compatible with the DX6i etc.
ModeTwo is offline Find More Posts by ModeTwo
Last edited by ModeTwo; Oct 06, 2011 at 01:40 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2011, 01:29 AM
Joined Apr 2007
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModeTwo View Post
Not quite accurate. Air Tx's DX6i, DX7 and DX8 will work with the SR300 surface Rx. JR9303 and 9505 will work as well.

It's the other way around that compatibility issues arise. I can't use my DX3C surface Tx with an AR6100 Rx, unfortunately. I was hoping to load up some buggies with the cheapie HobbyKing DSM2 Rx's...no luck.
There is no difference in ground channels and air channels with the 2.4 radios. The receiver must be compatible with the transmitter, but then that is the case with any radio. If they are compatible then you can run a car, boat, airplane, or helicopter.
Old Oct 06, 2011, 05:58 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy View Post
There is no air and ground with 2.4 radios. All that is needed are receivers that are compatible with transmitters.
Quote:
There is no difference in ground channels and air channels with the 2.4 radios. The receiver must be compatible with the transmitter, but then that is the case with any radio. If they are compatible then you can run a car, boat, airplane, or helicopter.
For your information so you can stop posting MIS-INFORMATION, Spektrum uses specific protocol that cause there AIR radio to work with air receivers ONLY and Surface radios to work with surface receiver ONLY.

They did how ever come out with MARINE receivers that will work with BOTH AIR AND SURFACE radios. In order to work with the surface radio the radio MUST have a MARINE LOGO to be MARINE receiver compatible.

AIR RADIO = AIR RECEIVER
SURFACE RADIO = SURFACE RECEIVER

MARINE RECEIVER = AIR & SURFACE RADIO (marine logo)

Quote:
The MR3000 is compatible with Spektrum surface transmitters featuring the marine logo. If your transmitter has the Marine logo (located on the back side of the transmitter), then it is compatible with the MR3000. The MR3000 is also compatible with Spektrum and JRŽ DSM2™ aircraft radios.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Oct 06, 2011, 07:32 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,785 Posts
^^ Bingo!

Everyone saying there is no difference needs to go to the spektrum site and look at compatibility... No one said you can't use an air tx/rx in a car, he was asking about boats that come with marine (mr) receivers in them. In his other thread (car section) he asked about cars that come with sr receivers in them (losi bind n drive cars).

If you re-read my original post, I even included the RX prefixes used by spektrum (ar = air, sr = surface, mr = marine) and what works with what.

I can't say for sure because I've never tried, but I highly doubt a Futaba ground RX will bind to a Futaba air TX.

You guys are correct that 2.4ghz is open to both surface and air use as per FCC regulations, but that doesn't mean that companies aren't using slightly different protocols for surface or air use.
Old Oct 06, 2011, 08:35 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,193 Posts
Quote:
OK I could see where other and myself could get confused by this statement. 2.4ghz is not reserve for air and or ground.

Receivers that are compatible with transmitters is a given but my reponse was inregards to SPEKTRUM where they use specific protocols to prevent mixing AIR with SURFACE and VICE VERSA.

There marine receiver is the only exception for spektrum brand TX/RX
Old Oct 06, 2011, 11:42 PM
Joined Apr 2007
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy

Thats all I said!
Old Oct 07, 2011, 05:41 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,193 Posts
Quote:
Quote:

Thats all I said!
Yes understand, just saying that some knowing that all you need is same brand radio with same brand receiver will be a little dissappointed if they buy a surface spektrum radio and a air receiver. still same brand but WON'T work.

Just was making sure readers new this information in regards to spektrum AIR & SURFACE
Old Oct 07, 2011, 07:27 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,785 Posts
Quote:
Quote:

Thats all I said!
And I had already specifically called out which Spektrum products were compatible with others since that was the question originally asked...