HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 05, 2011, 02:30 PM
Sure it'll work
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Nov 2005
4,275 Posts
Discussion
Backfire setup...and/or...other options

It looks like a Backfire is on the top of list as a next plane once they get back in stock. I have to have Neu build me another motor so I need to tell them what I want.

I'm not nessasally looking for a dedicated Hotliner, but something bigger for cruising that is capable of performance and TD.

I also am considering the ESO-E http://www.soaringusa.com/products/p...ategory_id=262 which is actually more like what I had in mind. Something of a High performance sailplane that's somewhere beetween F5B/F5F style flying.

I want to go to a HV setup and stop dealing with the high amps in part because the P180 and P125 are on there way out. Here's what I'm thinking....

Neu 1512/2.5D/6.7
CC HV160
GM 18x21

Starting with an 8S setup to start. If I have my info correct, 10S possible for the future?...for sick power.

I'm open to any other suggestions on what would be a good motor/esc/prop combo...and/or another CF plane (no glass) around the 100" plus size and very strong. These two "seem" to be the best options.

I have enough Hotliners and pylon planes.

Thanks, Bill
Flyextreme is offline Find More Posts by Flyextreme
Last edited by Flyextreme; Oct 05, 2011 at 11:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2011, 02:40 PM
Joined Jul 2011
2,027 Posts
Cool bill how may cells can ESO-E fuse pack? You may have to split the packs up.
hotlinercort is offline Find More Posts by hotlinercort
Old Oct 05, 2011, 02:47 PM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,275 Posts
Gary at SUSA said the fuse was huge on the ESO. Enough room to go ene-to-end. The only thing that might complicate it is placement of the servo tray. The wing joiner doesn't seem to be a problem since it's so high. At this point, I will most likely go look at them both and decide then since the 1512*** will work in either one. I'm certain there's more than enough room in the Backfire.

Or unless someone suggests a different/better option to consider.

2xTP 2250 4S fits easy he said...he didn't have 2 5S packs to try and they were very busy right now.

Bill
Old Oct 05, 2011, 03:23 PM
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Dec 2007
2,170 Posts
It will depend on when the bf was built. I have one of the original fuses and it was a huge pain to work with. I also have a more fuse and it has lots of room. I doubt SSUSA will not know before they receive them what its like, and without seeing them side by side it is very difficult to tell.

The original one was tail heavy, so you had to add TONS of weight to the nose. The new fuse has an elongated nose, but I'm still building it, so I am not sure how much weight it will need. Mine is 8s ice 100 and I added some caps.

Keep it light if you can, I am using 1415 motor, and recommend 14XX series if you can find them.

Any more questions, please post in this thread
la528it is offline Find More Posts by la528it
Old Oct 05, 2011, 11:57 PM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,275 Posts
Rich, So you don't think my proposed setup is good? If it has a tendency to be tail heavy...it would seem the 1512 would at least help solve that issue.

I can have any motor built. I'm looking for the best HV setup.

I would also think that the latest shippment would be the bigger better fuse, not the older problematic one.

EDIT: I just found some info I was looking for. It looks like another good setup would be.....

1512/1.5D/6.7
Ice 200
17.5 x 17.7
5-6S

I believe both of these setups were suggested on another thread for the smaller Speedfire by Steve.

I suppose one of my concerns with HV is ample room for battery placement (end-to-end). I hate tight spots that limit arranging components.

Bill
Last edited by Flyextreme; Oct 06, 2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old Oct 06, 2011, 06:47 AM
The Sarawak KoloMee
Singapore
Joined Jan 2008
263 Posts
we have two bf flying great with 1415 8s.

very pleased with it!

yiming
SniperWj is offline Find More Posts by SniperWj
Old Oct 06, 2011, 12:30 PM
Joined Dec 2007
2,170 Posts
Keep it light, my wings flex like butterflies after doing level motor bursts as I enter square loops... ballpark speed 170+
Old Oct 06, 2011, 12:41 PM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,275 Posts
I'm guessing...1415/2200?

What are the exact setups?
Old Oct 06, 2011, 12:44 PM
Joined Dec 2007
2,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyextreme View Post
I'm guessing...1415/2200?

What are the exact setups?
Yeah, but that was in order to accomodate the old fuse, I think larger may fit now. Honestly, do not order anything until it arrives. I screwed up big time with the bf before settling on my final setup. It was a 1512 1d, ive 200 3s 5500mah. Plane was awesome, but I lost it when a repaired wing saddle let go in flight. I liked that setup better for the weight, but like you, I am hesitant to go with another high amp setup... two new 180's had already burn ed in that plane before I went with the 200, and the 200 was from castle's original batch... which for the superstiious like me, think it was their best vintage.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 05:24 PM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,275 Posts
Well...in retrospect...I guess I need to decide what plane I want and for what purpose before I can actually get anywhere or ask the proper questions. I did confuse some of my info that I based my original post/questions on...I should not be so tired when I post.

At this point I'm leaning more towards the new ESO-E that there is no info on as of yet.

I was rushing to try and figure out what motor I wanted to have Neu build to replace my trusty 1509/1.5D that I destoyed. Right now I will just stick with that since it seems to be one of the most versitile motors. And since I'm not looking for a ballistic Hotliner setup, it may just fit the bill...time will tell.

If I find something about the ESO that causes me to decide against it, I may very well consider the Backfire as an option. When Bob gets them in, I will compare these two planes side-by-side and decide then.

Thanks, Bill
Old Nov 13, 2011, 01:01 AM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,275 Posts
Does anyone have pix or links to any Backfire colors other than the red, white, and blue on the SUSA site?

Bill
Old Nov 13, 2011, 01:15 AM
What is Highspeed ?
Germany, BY, Bergen
Joined Feb 2011
526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyextreme View Post
Does anyone have pix or links to any Backfire colors other than the red, white, and blue on the SUSA site?

Bill
http://fvk.de/Backfire.html

greez Rolf
Rolf D. is offline Find More Posts by Rolf D.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 02:31 AM
Sure it'll work
Joined Nov 2005
4,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf D. View Post
Thanks for the link.
Old Nov 13, 2011, 03:34 AM
Joined Dec 2007
2,170 Posts
In the original thread there are tons. One guy did carbon and neon green, heather's is pink, gm's is custom,...