Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 05, 2011, 11:18 AM
United Kingdom, England, Lancs
Joined Sep 2006
310 Posts
Build Log
FROG Build-Off Wren X2

A few shots of my Wren progress to date. Since the twin rudders represent the "fiddly" part of the construction I've started with the tailplane. Can't hope to keep up with George but at least it's a start.
Raf_Bob is offline Find More Posts by Raf_Bob
Last edited by Raf_Bob; Oct 05, 2011 at 11:20 AM. Reason: pictures not showing properly
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 05, 2011, 11:39 AM
Joined Sep 2006
310 Posts
Wren - early stages

I made a right "fist" of trying to copy this from another thread. The first attempt was totally useless and the second failed to transfer the photos. I have no idea why. Displaying my ignorance of using the system! However, I hope it's ok this time.
Old Oct 06, 2011, 02:06 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,429 Posts
Watching with interest - nice to have a glider amongst all the electric and power jobs!
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2011, 04:48 AM
UK
Joined Jan 2009
1,248 Posts
Very nice Bob. I take it your putting RC in it. How do propose to get it up there - towline, bungee, slope?

Looking forward to the build...

Jon
Yak 52 is offline Find More Posts by Yak 52
Old Oct 06, 2011, 06:45 AM
Joined Sep 2006
310 Posts
I'll fly it from a slope. Have limited places near home for towline etc but I'll probably fit a hook anyway and may try bungee launching. I'm building it pretty "sturdy" as slopers usually have a hard time of it don't they? I've also accumulated a lot of balsa offcuts and bits over the years and I decided I'd build the Wren from that, so material choice may not be ideal. But for it's intended use a bit of extra weight won't matter too much (I hope).
Old Oct 06, 2011, 08:06 AM
Joined Sep 2006
310 Posts
Showing a bit more progress. I need to attend to details of the twin fin operation and for that it's best if I have the fuselage to hand at, least the basic framework. I had a few strips of medium 1/4 sq lurking around so have framed up with that. Would have used hard 3/16 if I'd been buying new stuff but I hate wasting what is probably the world's most expensive wood (weight for weight). Some of the smaller components will be made up from scrap. The tail inserts were assembled from bits of 1/8th sheet, cyano and a clean up on my disc sander. It's not a money saving exercise, just that it gives me a bit of a buzz to use up some of the hundreds of bits and pieces I have filling a large box! Am I alone in this?
Last edited by Raf_Bob; Oct 06, 2011 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Inserted missing word
Old Oct 06, 2011, 08:32 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,491 Posts
Quote:
Am alone in this
No But somehow the scrap piece is always slightly too short/too heavy/too light etc...

Good progress Bob, keep it up. Thought I would include a pic for those not familiar with the Wren ( ie. me )

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Old Oct 06, 2011, 09:02 AM
Joined Sep 2006
310 Posts
I stick bits together and cut 'em up! Your right RFJ, most of it turns out to be unusable.
Very impressed with your Speedy btw. The electrics installation will be especially interesting to me as I've struggled with this in another model. Received lots of help and advice from George and hope to return to it after the Wren.

Yak 52. Sorry, I didn't fully answer your question. Yes it will have RC
Old Oct 06, 2011, 12:06 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf_Bob View Post
Showing a bit more progress. I need to attend to details of the twin fin operation and for that it's best if I have the fuselage to hand at, least the basic framework.
I will be following with interest. Love the twin fin/rudder designs (Miss World's Fair, Laumer's "Twin Lizzie, Smoothie; Musciano Pee Wee Pal/Classy Gassie) and I am always ready to be inspired.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Oct 08, 2011, 11:14 AM
Joined Sep 2006
310 Posts
Pressing on. Fuselage sides off the plan now and sheet infill under way.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 04:51 PM
Albyone
Italia, Lombardia, Monza
Joined May 2006
229 Posts
Hi Raf Bob.

This is my Wren!

http://albyone.altervista.org/wren.htm

Ciao

Albyone
albyone is offline Find More Posts by albyone
Old Oct 08, 2011, 05:06 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,439 Posts
Albyone
Beautiful Wren.
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Last edited by GeeW; Oct 09, 2011 at 04:01 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2011, 09:12 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,603 Posts
Your Wren is lovely Albyone. Inspiration for all of us to get on with our Frog Models!
sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
Old Oct 09, 2011, 03:25 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,429 Posts
That's immaculate Albyone - but Italian modellers always build beautiful models. How about building another FROG for the build off? The Diana is nice.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 09, 2011, 04:02 AM
Joined Sep 2006
310 Posts
albyone, your Wren is beautiful. I shall be pleased if mine turns out as good! Yes, do take up the challenge and enter the Frog build off. The more the merrier.