HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 08, 2011, 10:12 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,501 Posts
Pilot

The pilot choice is up to you, this is a cartoon model so anything goes just keep in mind that you want to keep him light weight.
For now the British bulldog comes with the short kit.
As the plastic cost goes up he will be the first part removed to keep the kit cost constant .
At that time all the dogs of war will be available on the site. The website has the instructions and painting tips if you want to give it a shot.
basically you sand the back of the dog halves, bond the edges.
( adding gorillia glue to the inside of the seams helps with any miss matches if any)
scrape the seams and prime and paint.
glue dots was used to accent the collar on this guy.
sparks is offline Find More Posts by sparks
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 08, 2011, 10:13 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,501 Posts
Cockpit details are as simple as scratches in the black paint.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 12:09 AM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,501 Posts
canopy

Cut the canopy net trim at the front and back then mark and trim the sides leavening some space to bond with.
Sand just the edge of the canopy about 1/8 inch from the edge on the inside. Apply epoxy with your finger to the edge of the canopy and place it on the fuselage. Hold it there with masking tape.
Holding the aft side windows lightly until the epoxy gets thick is easier than using the tape.
Keeping one dry rag to wipe off excess epoxy and another dampened with alcohol to keep your fingers clean is a good idea.
find yourself a few photos of a spit and mask off your windows. It's a cartoon plane so don't get too caught up in making it scale, relax and have fun with it. I did not mold panel lines in the canopy because its a cartoon plane and you can't get it wrong.
Protect the foam and most of the thin white plastic and give it a coat of primer..
This does three things for us . makes the inside gray, gives the paint a good base to stick well and Keeps the sun from showing through the part that we want to look like metal.
The exhaust pipes actually bond to the cowl with model cement but if you want the aft end can be bonded with gorilla glue too.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 10:30 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,501 Posts
Your paint scheme does not have to be as complex as this but I was having fun with this one and had the time. If you don't have an air brush put it on your wish list and you will never look back. Get a cheap one and you will only wish you had a better one. Tamaya paint was used on this plane.
Invasion stripes are a pain but like I said i had the time and the colors will show up better below the tree line.
Don't worry about your markings, you cannot get it wrong, "it's a cartoon plane" should be your reply to anybody that says different.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:05 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,501 Posts
cooling

Now that I have switched to the proper propeller on this plane
Cooling is not an issue now
When things was getting hot I did come up with a cooling system for the Cartoon Spitfire. I felt I should post it in case you use a different motor and need the air flow.

Refer to the photos as you read.
Cool air enters the wing scoop ( the back of the scoop is not opened) and into the wing. It travels in-between the gap between the forward spars to the center section. Blue arrows.

Half the air is ported to the cowl and the rest spills out over the battery .
Once in the cowl it has to go past the motor and out through the hole in the top of the firewall. Red arrow. Where the ESC is .

Now that this "warm" air is back in the belly it passes over the battery and out the holes in the bottom of the wing. It passes through the gap between the aft spars and out the other wing scoop.
(the front is not cut out but the back of the scoop is.)

Again, this is only an option if you use a motor that runs hot.
I did the original flights on and over worked motor on a 102 degree day and wanted to come up with something that would help..
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:16 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,501 Posts
So,
I took my time and enjoyed wrapping up my little project.
if you have any questions or have made some changes I haven't thought to do, please post it.

I'd love to see the how you guys finished your planes.
If you don't know how to post a photo or don't have the time, send an attachment to me and I'll do it.
parkflyerplastics@att.net
Old Nov 24, 2011, 09:14 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,950 Posts
Wow that little thing looks funny i like it!!!

Learned a lot from you about using CA hinges thanks.
wopachop is offline Find More Posts by wopachop
Old Nov 30, 2011, 09:57 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,501 Posts
Battery comp. and CG

Several things can change where your battery will be located. Landing gear, using a different motor, receiver type and ESC brand. The battery compartment houses the receiver, ESC and the battery. This space is large enough for you to arrange the parts to balance the model using the marks from the plans.

Feel free to post your Cartoon Spitfire progress or questions here.

I'll reply as soon as I can, I'm off to tend to other projects and threads.
Have fun with the plane.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:36 AM
Joined Sep 2004
266 Posts
Hey Sparks,
Started building the Spitfire and noticed that the sizes of formers 3 and 4 don't match what is drawn on the side view. 3 is about and inch short and 4 is only about an 1/4 inch long. I don't think 4 matters, it just holds the servo, but 3 could matter as it's the cockpit floor.
Thanks,
Andy
miniman is offline Find More Posts by miniman
Old Jan 19, 2012, 05:40 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,501 Posts
test fit the piece with the instrument panel on the plane.
As long as it overlaps the cockpit floor it should be good.
I made those patterns by tracing what I used on mine so they should be good.
The parts was shown on the side view to show about where they go.
If a different servo was to be used the panel would have to be moved.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joined Sep 2004
266 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I'll trim the plastic and check before glueing.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 03:34 PM
did a reversed Immelman..once.
Novi, Michigan
Joined Nov 2002
2,245 Posts
sparks..your new spittie is cool...BONZ graphic using the roundel.

..clever.
SKYPILEIT is offline Find More Posts by SKYPILEIT
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:48 PM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,501 Posts
Glad you caught that, made me laugh when did it.
Don't ask about the other side. I went with no letters there.
Old Apr 03, 2012, 10:52 AM
Joined Sep 2004
266 Posts
Here's a couple pictures of my build so far. Set the parts together for a look. Just plodding along, having fun with it. Need to decide on a motor to buy or use. I have some blue wonder 1700kv, not sure if they would be powerful enough. Any recommendations?

Andy
Old Apr 03, 2012, 11:41 AM
RC 4 Life
Fort Worth, TX USA
Joined Feb 2001
4,501 Posts
Looks great!
Was converting the patterns to fan fold much of a problem?
I was concerned for you about how the plastic would fit.

1700 should be plenty.
Mine really hauls at full power and is less than you plan to use.

Do you plan to have landing gear?
I'm only asking because I'm really thinking about cutting mine off.
The cartoon planes do much better without them and you only use them for a few moments any way.