HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 25, 2011, 10:20 AM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
that is a very interesting idea. I wonder what would happen if one makes the keel stearable, too.
Schrott is offline Find More Posts by Schrott
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 25, 2011, 10:34 AM
Joined Oct 2006
835 Posts
the hull would probably disintegrate from the stresses
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Jan 05, 2012, 02:57 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
so got on 1 side the bottom closed. The other side needs only 10 more planks.
Should have that by end of the week, it took 47 5mm planks, the longest close to 2 meters and the shortest 20cm. 94 planks for the bottom of the tub.
Probably 100 and some, 110, for the top. End of Feb, maybe
Old Jan 08, 2012, 04:30 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
she is gone, anybody know were to ?
Old Jan 09, 2012, 01:46 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,296 Posts
The paint shop?
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jan 09, 2012, 10:46 AM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
Found her, she got herself a new friend.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:36 AM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
I sealed the hull from the inside with epoxi and fibermatts. Now I got a very solid bottom. Next will be floatation devices, foam blocks, mounting boards for the rc-stuff and the cut out for the cockpit.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:55 AM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,581 Posts
Will the outside be glassed Schrott?
JerryTodd is offline Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Jan 12, 2012, 05:47 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
No Jerry, I am not very good at it and I would be afraid to ruin the wood. But I plan to use The 105 stuff instead of warnish, propbably 3 coats, each coat wet sanded and the last coat wetsanded and than polished. That should make a realy nice and hard finish.
Jesterday I built and installed the frame for the Cockpit. It is made out of Redwood. For the end pieces I planed a 2 cm thick pieces out of a 2x4, than cut the round shapes and than sanded the sides till they fit, the side pieces are 5mm by 15 mm redwood planks. After glue dried it was sanding time, had to shape everything to the contures of the deck.
The ribs inside the cockpit still have to go
Old Jan 14, 2012, 10:44 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
I gutted the inside, which means I took all the unnecessary stays out of the cockpit area. Cleaned it up.
Than I cut boards for a falls bottom, onto I will than install the gratings comen in boats like this.
The rear has very unique slits for the stearing rods. In the 1;1 they were a concern for water coming in. I will use gearshifter sleaved wire from bycicles and have installed a box behind the slits, that will be water proof.

Than up front, just behind the mast I glued in some hardwood ply, as hard points for the stays. I will use some very nice turnbuckels I have left over.
Just saw them once, bought 10, should have bought 20.

Before I will install the mountings boards for the RC and the falls bottom I will aplpy some foam spray, let it dry and than trimm it down, part of the floating system.
I am waiting for the servos, stearing, breaks and the sail winch.
Stearing will be a HS 805, breaks Airtronics with metal gears, winch for main Graupner Sail Winch 4 ( expensive sucker ), jibs ugley.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 06:41 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
As I said this will be a slow built.
I got the planks on the left side around the real narrow rounding of the hull, not without a few screw ups, breaking planks and so on.
I used very thin Mahogeni to cover the ply of the keelpocket, just have to built the lid for it.
To secure the keel in the pocket I drilled a hole trough it inserted left and right brass pipe and inside the pipe through the keelblade a stainless screw. It just needs to prevent the keel from falling out.

In the rear I installed the sleeves, from bicycle shifter, for the steering cables and put a water tight lid on each chamber.
Since I am geting with the planking to the point, were I have to install the boards for the RC stuff mounts, I installed the steering and break board. To mount the servo brakets I used those woodnuts you hammer in, what ever they are called
Steering servo mount is done. Since I have no idea how the breaks and the links and cables or what ever will work and turn out, I just prepared two pieces of ply to fit the nuts

I got the sail winch in and have a real dilemma, the drums are real small and even with 8 turns would not hold enough rope to properly manoever the Main.
That will take some thinking.

While I do that, well, I glue planks. 5mm at 2 meter length is realy a slow built, especialy if ya clumsy at times and produce firewood.
Last edited by Schrott; Mar 02, 2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old Mar 01, 2012, 06:48 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
some more pictures
Old Mar 02, 2012, 01:03 AM
Taking care of the pond.
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Apr 2004
7,296 Posts
Looking good.

"woodnuts you hammer in"

There called T-nut, or tee nut (also known as a blind nut.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Mar 02, 2012, 09:43 AM
Southern Calif
Joined Dec 2005
1,812 Posts
I didn't realize the hull was that big. It sure is going to be a nice boat.

Ed
Ed Crowell is offline Find More Posts by Ed Crowell
Old Mar 02, 2012, 03:13 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
Thanks Millertime, T-Nuts

Ed the hull is 75 inches long and in middle around 16 inches wide and 6,5 inches high.