SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 04, 2011, 07:01 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
Build Log
Aero II, Z-Jolle 1936

I am still working on my Scooner Voodoo Child, but I already have my winter project lined up.

A friend of mine showed me during a discussion about sailing race boats a picture of this boat. I guess he knew exactly what he was doing, oh well here is a nother one 1936, but nothing like the others.

I fell instantly in love with this boat. The design, those round lines, so unusual, everything on this boat looked that it was designed, drawn not just for purpose but to please the eye.

So I got myself a little history lesson. The boat was designed by a fellow called Manfred Curry, he was a champion sailor, inventer and a Doc.
Pretty interesting fellow.

The boat was state of the art, the fastest around and had a few very unique features.
1. The aerodynamic design of the boat, the idea was to let wind rise from the water flow over the deck directly into the sails, push the surface winds into the sail
2. The rudder, it could be lifted up from the cockpit, to reduce drag according to what the sailing conditions allowed.
2a. the brake, 2 flippers were attached to the rudder, when deployed would stall the boat under full sail, basicly stoping it, good for a start, you did not have to tack to prevent an early start, you just stomped on the break in front of the starting line and let go when the signal came. Same at turning bojes, stomp on the break, turn and release.
It worked so good that it was outlawed.
3. The Curry clamp, today a standard stapel on any sailboat, those clamps you put the rope in, one short pull and it is loose.

But what got me was the beautifull curves and that it had to be a wood built, ribbs and planks, no plastic.

Naturally my "friend" knew were I could get a manufactured, perfect, set of ribs, he had helped to built the prototype boat.

I liked the size, close to 2 meters, it sounded good.

Well I ordered the the ribbs. I should have got the ruler out and measured so I got a visual what 2 meters mean. It means big enough for any of my dogs to sail in it.

Here a link, it is in German, to the 1:1 boat, one still is in service in Germany of the 5 that were built. The other as much as I recall went to the US, but I could not find anything about their fate.

http://www.zboot.net/pdf-dateien/Das...erschiff-1.pdf

This will be a slow building log.

I built the building bord, 2 meters by 2 feet, to get a pesrpective. Next I have to decide how wide the planks should be to get the rounding, probably 5 mm x 3mm, or even 4 mm.

The grain of the wood and the color, I think redwood would do pretty nice and than I have to cut a gadcilion of planks, plane them and so on.

I would like to cut the planks before winter takes a real hold, huminidy to high, cold and I would like to do it outside, because of the mess.
Right now I have the first snow, it will not stay, 70 next week again, but it is a warning.
Schrott is offline Find More Posts by Schrott
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2011, 08:09 AM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
Yesterday I put teh ribs togehter, just loose. Now I can realy see the boat and get a feeling for the demensions and what and how and why not to do.

The weather is rather nasty, snow, sleet, rain/snow/rain/hail and I have to wait with the cutting of the planks till the humidity goes back to normal, which is around 15%, otherwise they will warp instantly.

A few minor things had to be corected when I stuck the stuff together, nothing big.

The scale will be 1:4
Old Oct 06, 2011, 03:29 PM
SCALE Sailor
United States, MD, Severna Park
Joined Apr 2008
1,602 Posts
A very interesting build. Looks like a gaff-rigged pilot whale.
It will definitely be pretty and I doubt you'll run into another one when you take it sailing.
JerryTodd is online now Find More Posts by JerryTodd
Old Oct 06, 2011, 04:31 PM
Joined Oct 2006
841 Posts
!!! ..........very sleek!
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Oct 07, 2011, 10:52 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
today I cut some planks to make a plank sample. I gave it one over with polyuretan to see if I could get a close match to the originals coulor.
I used redwood and the poly gives it a real close match to the original, the planks are 5mm by 3 mm. I cut one 2.2 meters long and laid it along the keel.
At the bow I have to consider 2 possibilties, either wrap the plank around it or cut the front piece of the ply out and replace it with a redwood piece. The bow spar will be exposed and plywood would not look right.
Old Oct 12, 2011, 09:07 AM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
The pictures of the sole survivor show that the bow is made out of a dark wood. My guess a real hard wood, maybe oak.
Thats why I cut the front plywood part out and replaced it with a solid piece of wallnut. The shots from the deck show that the central planking butts on to that piece, so I took that into account.

I gave my table saw and my thichness planer a good work out and cut 2 4x4x10 redwood into 7 mm slices and than planed them down to 5mm

The guys at the lumber yard have now proof that I am wacko
I spent 1 hour going threw their stack till I had 2 4x4 of the right colour and matching colour
Old Oct 23, 2011, 05:47 PM
Retired for now
Bonita Springs,Fl.
Joined Sep 2007
8,693 Posts
Well Schrott,I see that your at it again. I looked at the 1:1 pictures and that thing is beautiful. Love the natural wood color. You were lucky to find two 4x4's the same color or even close for that matter. The only way that happens is if they come from side by side locations from the same tree. A real needle in a haystack.
So who cut your frames out? They look like they were done on a CNC machine. And what an odd shape for a sailboat. Kinda looks like a big cigar with a sail stuck on it. Be fun to watch this build and see the boat in the lake.
Jeeze! Snow already? You must have the first snow fall in the country for this year. Hope ya got a lot of wood chopped over the summer. Ha! Pete
norgale is offline Find More Posts by norgale
Old Oct 25, 2011, 08:57 AM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
A guy in Ol' Kraut country did cut the ribs, Pete. They do all kinde CNC work and some model boat stuff on the side.
The white stuff was a surprise, that early and it is suposed to do it again, today and tomorrow, yaiks.
Old Oct 30, 2011, 02:03 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
I have been working on the rudder. The blade is out of alum, the breaks, too.
I took some thin stainless sheet metal and cut the holders for the blade out of it and weldet a stainless pipe to them. The stuff is thin and even with the lowest setting all I could do was spot it. Never the less I had to drill out the pipe. The steering fins are out of alum. Everything is boltet together with stainless bolts. I have not jet figured out how I am going to built the hinges for the brakes, thats why I have not finished them.
Old Nov 16, 2011, 08:35 AM
olivier
Joined Nov 2011
1 Posts
Good morning
I search a plan to construct a static model of the boat Aéro 2 of Manfred Curry. I do not find plans on Internet.
Thank you, be able to use.
Warmly
olben is offline Find More Posts by olben
Old Nov 17, 2011, 03:43 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
Olben, I have not been able to find any plans myself, but there is a company in Germany, Kuhlmann, www.segelboot-modelle.de, that might be able to help you.
Old Dec 03, 2011, 11:44 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
Well I have been teering up my house for a while and did not get to do much on my boats. Voodoo Child had Her maiden and I am very pleased how She took to her element. I used the rig of my Atlantis and after 2 sails feel very confident that she will be able to handle the added laundry I have planed for her.
But back to this Lady.
I started to built the rudder. I plan to make the brakes workable. One servo for each side. That should be very interesting sailing.
I got now 14 planks on. It is slow. The planks are 2 meters long, around 6'6", 5 mm wide and 3 mm thick. The length is a challenge. I love the texture of the Redwood, there is so much colour and tone in it. Aint really like the original, but who cares.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 03:34 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
slow progress
Old Dec 23, 2011, 06:04 PM
Dolores, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
1,581 Posts
It finally starts to look like something, at least on one side, plank length is down 1,1 meters, it goes faster now.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 02:53 PM
Joined Oct 2006
841 Posts
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...f=tedtalks2011
what do you think of this...something amazingly my wife found
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch