HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:58 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,244 Posts
Thanks for the info jet. Gonna order some now that I know what to get. Thats a real bummer about Dan's plane but a great repair job. I know how he feels. On another note my Edge 540 arrived today. Man those people at Twisted Hobby are freaky fast when it comes to shipping. I ordered my plane on Friday and got it today, Monday. I'll take pics of the build if anyone wants to see. I know its been shown before. But if I goof up along the way maybe someone will catch it before it goes too far. Thanks for all the help everyone.

Tom
carr52 is online now Find More Posts by carr52
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:06 PM
Joined Dec 2009
70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunyata View Post
Sometimes I'm a fast study, other times I think the lobotomy really did take.

Anyway, there's been some chat about balancing the plane here lately, so I took time this morning to check things closely before heading out to fly with son Chris. I knew my CY was nose heavy from last weekend. I'm running the blue 1500k motor and never checked the CG after replacing the X series motor.

I taped a penny near the tail to balance it. I also taped a penny near the right wing tip to balance it laterally. Did the wing balance to our other CY as well.

Well, holy cracker beans! All this time I thought I sucked flying these things. Now I know 90% of "the problem" was my incorrect setup! I just thought I needed to learn better control doing KE's, etc..

Wow, amazing difference! Had more fun today with the CY than ever before. These things are da bomb.
Hey Shunyata

how did you balance it laterally or did I miss this post somewhere?

Thanks in advance
savagedub78 is offline Find More Posts by savagedub78
Old Apr 16, 2012, 04:20 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by savagedub78 View Post
Hey Shunyata

how did you balance it laterally or did I miss this post somewhere?

Thanks in advance
Just set the plane on a hard surface, lift the wings level and see which way it tips. If you built it like most of us do, per the instructions, all the electronics are mounted on the left side, so the right wing tends to be lighter.

Then I just laid a penny, dime, whatever, to the lighter side until the plane tips either way without preference. It took a single penny near the wingtip on both ouf our CY's to balance out. A penny weights about 2 grams. Less than a bird turd. LOL.

edit: Right now the penny is taped on using gaffers tape. I love gaffers tape! Might look for a 2gr wood screw and screw it into the wing tip and glue it.

edit 2: add pic - Bob's yer uncle!
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Last edited by shunyata; Apr 16, 2012 at 04:39 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 05:02 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
I have the Extra Slick with ESC on the right side of the plane and the Rx on the left under the wing. The battery is above the wood spar about 1/4 of the battery ahead of the spar. No weight added to balance. Just positioned components to balance. Lots of people us different equipment like I am using an Orange Futaba compatable Rx, which is under 9 grams without the plastic case in only the heatshrink tubing.
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
Old Apr 16, 2012, 07:29 PM
United States, CA, Berkeley
Joined Jul 2011
120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
I use the OrangeRX 6 in many planes including my Slick v1.

I have 18 of the Gens Ace 2S 450's if that says anything about them.

And yes, I use them on my Slicks, v1 and v2.

JC
Thanks,JC.

How do you charge them? Do you charge many in parallel using items below?

6xCharger and 6xBalancer

Or just single?
asasan is offline Find More Posts by asasan
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:25 PM
Registered Abuser
United States, CT, Bethlehem
Joined Jan 2012
43 Posts
Put lights on my bruised, battered, and burned slick 2 (This plane keeps flying no matter what I do to it, it's amazing). I can't believe I waited so long to do this. No longer does it matter when customers keep me late at the shop. Daylight no longer dictates my flying schedule! Think I'm going to keep this set up as a night slick and get a fresh day slick There are a couple sneaky trees hiding in the dark in my backyard with their eye on this plane...so it may need more repairs than normal soon.

I'll have to get my tripod out soon and take some stable long exposure shots. I'm really excited!
astolenpose is offline Find More Posts by astolenpose
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:26 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asasan View Post
Thanks,JC.

6xCharger and 6xBalancer

Or just single?
Running Gens Ace 2S 450's - I charge at 5C (2.2 amps) one at a time.

One of these days I will snag a paraboard. But with 18 batteries, I'm never without.
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Apr 16, 2012, 08:27 PM
3D Hack
Joined Jul 2010
1,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by astolenpose View Post
Put lights on my bruised, battered, and burned slick 2 (This plane keeps flying no matter what I do to it, it's amazing). I can't believe I waited so long to do this. No longer does it matter when customers keep me late at the shop. Daylight no longer dictates my flying schedule! Think I'm going to keep this set up as a night slick and get a fresh day slick There are a couple sneaky trees hiding in the dark in my backyard with their eye on this plane...so it may need more repairs than normal soon.

I'll have to get my tripod out soon and take some stable long exposure shots. I'm really excited!
LOL - I just came inside from flying a few packs thru my Slick v2 in the cul-de-sac.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:01 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
Running Gens Ace 2S 450's - I charge at 5C (2.2 amps) one at a time.

One of these days I will snag a paraboard. But with 18 batteries, I'm never without.
Caveman!

Time you get a para charger setup!
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:28 PM
3D Hack
Joined Jul 2010
1,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunyata View Post
Caveman!

Time you get a para charger setup!
Ohhhh Julie, that hurts so good.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2012, 09:35 PM
United States, LA, West Monroe
Joined May 2007
75 Posts
Bought my V2 extra slick about a month ago and the count is already 6 of the 32inch series planes. Members couldn't resist after flying mine. Here's a vid of a few of us having a good time.
Twisted Hobbys Crack series (2 min 8 sec)
spcpicard is offline Find More Posts by spcpicard
Last edited by spcpicard; Apr 16, 2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 10:05 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcpicard View Post
Bought my V2 extra slick about a month ago and the count is already 6 of the 32inch series planes. Members couldn't resist after flying mine. Here's a vid of a couple of us having a good time.
http://youtu.be/AvYeObkUypY
You guys are killing me. My Edge 540 just arrived today. Wont be able to start on it until tomorrow. Got a new work board setup just need to get a few weights to hold it down while glue sets. I'll just go buy a couple cases of ammo to use as my weights. Never hurts to have a little extra.
Tom
carr52 is online now Find More Posts by carr52
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:15 PM
3D Hack
Joined Jul 2010
1,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spcpicard View Post
Bought my V2 extra slick about a month ago and the count is already 6 of the 32inch series planes. Members couldn't resist after flying mine. Here's a vid of a few of us having a good time.
http://youtu.be/AvYeObkUypY
Nothing beats having a good time hucking it up.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 16, 2012, 11:52 PM
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Jun 2010
432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asasan View Post
Thanks,JC.

6xCharger and 6xBalancer

Or just single?
If you want parallel connectors of those red JST connectors, I think you can solder a bunch of pigtails together cheaper than buying that one. I've got two sets of 4 pigtails soldered in parallel to my preferred larger connector.

I'm charging 8 460mah 2s nanos through this 8 x 2s harness I made for smaller packs (shown). Ignore the harness on the right, and the two small chargers. Using my larger charger. The red JST connection is the weak point of the parallel charging setup (gets warm if too many amps), not the JST-XH connections.

Charles
ccpdx is offline Find More Posts by ccpdx
Last edited by ccpdx; Apr 16, 2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:55 AM
High Tech Red Neck
United States, IL, Lawrenceville
Joined Nov 2011
1,541 Posts
I've switched over to the para cords,and it's great to charge 6 batterys at once! Ron
Ron_Dog is online now Find More Posts by Ron_Dog
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Alias,a Love,Hate,Affair!