HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:56 PM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,226 Posts
Happy to report that i really dig that new motor! Of course i only got a small taste as wind was from 15-25mph It was handling it great though! The added nose weight definitely helped in this situation. I hope the wind dies down so i can get a better feel for the new motor.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:25 PM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
Doesn't everyone balance the plane on all three axis?
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:47 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,492 Posts
Just heard of Twisted Hobby's Crack Yak. Looks pretty sweet. I was wondering about dual rates. How should I set it up? I'm still pretty rough around the edges when it comes to 3D flying. But I do like to keep trying. Thanks for your folks.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:18 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,330 Posts
You could setup 3 rates if you wanted with 1 being about 20 degrees on everything, 2 being 45 on everything and 3 being max throw.

I run mine max all the time but if you are not confident with 3D, rates will be good to start with.
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Apr 14, 2012, 04:35 AM
Don't worry be happy :)
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-gull View Post
No, obviously not. Haven't seen a manual, so far, that recommends that.
It's something every pilot have to learn by experience.
Stark is offline Find More Posts by Stark
Last edited by Stark; Apr 14, 2012 at 04:53 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:54 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
I balance in two axis, fore + aft and lateral, I take it the other one is top and bottom heavy. I suppose I should really balance in the third but never really thought about it. You might have a point, surely that would have an effect on knife edge roll coupling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercdriver7777 View Post
You could setup 3 rates if you wanted with 1 being about 20 degrees on everything, 2 being 45 on everything and 3 being max throw.

I run mine max all the time but if you are not confident with 3D, rates will be good to start with.
I fly the Crack series on full rates all the time but I did set up three rates at one point. I had them different to how you suggest though, one and three were the same but I had two set up as full throw on rudder and elevator but ailerons down at the same rate as one. I found it useful for getting rollers as I could just bang the aileron stick hard over and concentrate on what I was doing with rudder and elevator.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:33 AM
Don't worry be happy :)
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
I had them different to how you suggest though, one and three were the same but I had two set up as full throw on rudder and elevator but ailerons down at the same rate as one. I found it useful for getting rollers as I could just bang the aileron stick hard over and concentrate on what I was doing with rudder and elevator.
That's a great tip! Thanks!
Stark is offline Find More Posts by Stark
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:34 AM
Team Twisted!
Joined Dec 2011
4,226 Posts
I got some flights on the slick with the new motor this morning. I really like how quiet the motor is with the 9x4.7 I don't feel so bad flying in the front yard at 7:00am anymore Also the new motors weight let me get my battery behind the aileron servo which i prefer. Overall i really like it i'm contemplating if i should get the new motor for my sbach or not.
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:42 AM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
Just heard of Twisted Hobby's Crack Yak. Looks pretty sweet. I was wondering about dual rates. How should I set it up? I'm still pretty rough around the edges when it comes to 3D flying. But I do like to keep trying. Thanks for your folks.

Tom
Being new to this hobby last summer, I'd never flown a 3D plane before until I got a TH Edge (I have the CY also.) But I had spent some hours in Phoenix sim with the Zivko Edge foamie. When I flew the Edge for the first time, I set it to low rates. Two batteries later, I went to full rates and never looked back.

Full rates, 30% expo and dat's it!
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:58 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,492 Posts
I ordered the Edge 540. Also the the landing gear and a few extra props. I have been kown to "land" rather hard. I got the welder's glue and tried it on some dollar tree foam and it melts it a little. Thanks for all the input folks.

Tom
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:00 AM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
As one of the TH guys puts it, if the plane isn't dirty, you're flying too low.

Mine is getting dirtier all the time.
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:09 AM
Team Twisted!
Joined Dec 2011
4,226 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunyata View Post
As one of the TH guys puts it, if the plane isn't dirty, you're flying too low.

Mine is getting dirtier all the time.
Not low enough
Old Apr 14, 2012, 06:23 PM
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jan 2009
451 Posts
Quote:
How?
STLAV8R is offline Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Old Apr 14, 2012, 08:45 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,492 Posts
Howdy From SC,
Well I tried the Welders glue on a few other types of foam. The pink fan fold and a piece of foam from the local hobby shop. Melted. Is this the right glue for the TH planes? I got it from them. Even ordered extra to use when the Edge 540 gets here. Thanks again for your help in these matters.

Tom
Old Apr 14, 2012, 08:47 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,629 Posts
Yeah Welders is the stuff for EPP and won't harm it. Welders will eat pink foam, depron, and EPO though I think, as will CA, but CA will not harm EPP. It's very resilient stuff.
cwojcik is online now Find More Posts by cwojcik