HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:18 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
The high from Welders is not all that bad. But then, that's just me.

shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:26 PM
United States, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Jun 2010
448 Posts
I just maidened and flew two packs through my new Extra Slick catching it three times in a row before very gently crashing it into myself What can I say, I need more practice catching, let alone hover grabbing. Very good first impression Unfortunately it started to rain and the wind has been gusty all day. It kept blowing things off the workbench in my garage.

Fighting wind and only a couple batteries in (with a little juice remaining), I'm not sure where my timer should be yet, but so far it's looking like only about 5 minutes. Does that sound about right? I'm on 2s 460mah with 9x4.7 prop and the 26g 1500kv motor. Even with some juice left in the first battery (3.77v / cell) I could feel huge difference moving on to the second battery. How many people are doing 3s?

Charles

PS, Glue dries better in the air right? like in the air flying......
ccpdx is offline Find More Posts by ccpdx
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:30 PM
Joined Jul 2011
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccpdx View Post
I just maidened and flew two packs through my new Extra Slick catching it three times in a row before very gently crashing it into myself :P What can I say, I need more practice catching, let alone hover grabbing. Very good first impression Unfortunately it started to rain and the wind has been gusty all day. It kept blowing things off the workbench in my garage.

Fighting wind and only a couple batteries in (with a little juice remaining), I'm not sure where my timer should be yet, but so far it's looking like only about 5 minutes. Does that sound about right? I'm on 2s 460mah with 9x4.7 prop and the 26g 1500kv motor. Even with some juice left in the first battery (3.77v / cell) I could feel huge difference moving on to the second battery. How many people are doing 3s?

Charles

PS, Glue dries better in the air right.... like in the air flying...... :P
I have tried 3s. I prefer 2s. I have my timer set for 6 minutes. How much you get really depends heavily on how much you're on the throttle. A lot of hovering is going to burn it down a lot faster than just flying around.
Madratter is offline Find More Posts by Madratter
Last edited by Madratter; Apr 12, 2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 09:04 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
... I'm not sure where my timer should be yet, but so far it's looking like only about 5 minutes. Does that sound about right? )
I use 5 minutes, knowing I can run longer, 5-1/2 to 6 minutes if I'm having too much fun to just stop. I hate it when the Space Mountain ride just ends like that! SNAP!

Depending on how much throttle I used, of course.
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:06 PM
Joined Jun 2010
448 Posts
Yep, I have a feeling 5 minutes is going to be where my timer stays. By the time those first two batteries were re-charged the sun came out again and I got myself back to the park. I'm sure glad I bought 8 batteries I wanted more actually.

Charles
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:11 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,861 Posts
Quote:
Yep, I have a feeling 5 minutes is going to be where my timer stays. By the time those first two batteries were re-charged the sun came out again and I got myself back to the park. I'm sure glad I bought 8 batteries I wanted more actually.

Charles
I only have 18 now. Gave 4 to my buddy when he talked me out of my Slick v1.

Nobody's getting my Slick v2 - nobody!

JC
JC Spohr is online now Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:21 AM
Let the hating begin
HAMPTON VA
Joined Dec 2009
861 Posts
Quote:
I just maidened and flew two packs through my new Extra Slick catching it three times in a row before very gently crashing it into myself What can I say, I need more practice catching, let alone hover grabbing. Very good first impression Unfortunately it started to rain and the wind has been gusty all day. It kept blowing things off the workbench in my garage.

Charles

PS, Glue dries better in the air right? like in the air flying......
I use 3s 500mh & get 5 minutes easily,probably could go another minute but would rather not shorten the pack lives.3s is a blast but if you dont have a throttle curve it will probably be unflyable.I first flew mine without the curve & it sucked,kinda like nitrous,wide open at any throttle setting,full throttle was a blur.I curved it down to about 65% on the top & it feels great,kinda like 2s with a little extra punch on the top when you want it.I fly outdoors mostly so 3s is the prefered choice for me.I could cut the travel back on the top & drop the curve for indoors & would be just like 2s.Throttle curves are nice.
evalith8 is offline Find More Posts by evalith8
Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:03 AM
Joined Jul 2011
721 Posts
I should have mentioned that although I prefer 2s, for penetrating wind 3s is better and I still pull mine out for that on occasion.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 08:24 AM
Joined Feb 2008
1,321 Posts
Madratter:
Don't you have the battery in the hole of the fuselage? If so I would think the 3S would not fit in the tight hole for the 2S. I wish so much that I had put the electronics on like usual instead of the way with the battery in the fuselage hole.
e-gull
e-gull is offline Find More Posts by e-gull
Old Apr 13, 2012, 09:36 AM
Joined Jul 2011
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-gull View Post
Madratter:
Don't you have the battery in the hole of the fuselage? If so I would think the 3S would not fit in the tight hole for the 2S. I wish so much that I had put the electronics on like usual instead of the way with the battery in the fuselage hole.
e-gull
The hole is a little lose with my 2s, and I can cram the 3s in there although it is a very tight fit. I probably could not do it at all, except my batteries also have velcro from back in the days where I had my original version of the slick where it was mounted outside. That gives the batteries some give.

From my experience, having the battery through the hole in the fuselage makes a huge difference for certain maneuvers because your center of gravity is correctly centered. Anything high g with the battery outside causes problems.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:21 AM
Don't worry be happy :)
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madratter View Post
From my experience, having the battery through the hole in the fuselage makes a huge difference for certain maneuvers because your center of gravity is correctly centered. Anything high g with the battery outside causes problems.
Yes, the 32 inch airplanes are sensitive to lateral balance. My Edge did a lot of strange things and especially during an outside loop. Then I discovered that one wing was heavier than the other and I mounted a screw with appropriate size in the lighter wing tip. The plane flies very good after that!
Stark is offline Find More Posts by Stark
Last edited by Stark; Apr 13, 2012 at 10:32 AM.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Jun 2010
448 Posts
I think mine's pretty close balance-wise, but since I have my battery hole-mounted there's a little bit that can be fine-adjusted. (Haven't done that yet.)

If I decide to try 3s, I'll probably cut a block of compressible packing foam to roughly 1s battery sized and put it under the 2s battery when needed.

Charles
Old Apr 13, 2012, 12:27 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark View Post
Yes, the 32 inch airplanes are sensitive to lateral balance. My Edge did a lot of strange things and especially during an outside loop. Then I discovered that one wing was heavier than the other and I mounted a screw with appropriate size in the lighter wing tip. The plane flies very good after that!
I balance all mine laterally by sliding the pack in and out of the slot till it balances. When I've found where it has to sit I put a mark so that I can slide it in to the same spot every time.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Apr 13, 2012, 01:51 PM
Let the hating begin
HAMPTON VA
Joined Dec 2009
861 Posts
Flew my Sbach this morning before work & its really nice.Motrofly 2205 1800kv,8x4 gws,12 amps opto esc on 3s 500mh.I put gear & led's on it.Rolls very fast,axial & tracks great for a foamie.The rudder on this plane is huge just like the real Sbach.Looks like tonite I will be able fly the Sbach,Xtra slick & crack Yak.
Ive found that since Ive gotten some of these planes its not so bad when I cant make it to the field to fly my 89 Slick or 70 EF extra or other bigger planes.I still want to fly the big stuff but Im able to contain myself with the help of the little foamys.
evalith8 is offline Find More Posts by evalith8
Old Apr 13, 2012, 04:57 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,628 Posts
New Extra Slick video:

Extra Slick 2: Extra Slicker (4 min 47 sec)
cwojcik is online now Find More Posts by cwojcik