Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:38 AM
Jim
Winchendon,MA
Joined Aug 2007
217 Posts
I may be wrong on this but I've always charged my batts right after flying to ensure I have them topped off when the next flying opportunity comes along . So I've never worried about having them charged up for too long of a time (like over the winter here in the North East!).

I set my timer for 5 mins with 2S450 Gen Ace batts and they come done with ~ 3.78 volts per cell. Occassionaly will hit LVC when I forget to set the timer .

I probably should put my batts at a storage charge when I know I'm not going to be flying for a few weeks but I don't. However, a couple of my oldest batts are 4 yr old 3S2200 Zippys and they are still very functional and fine for my SuperCub.
jmoore is offline Find More Posts by jmoore
Last edited by jmoore; Mar 10, 2012 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Added to comment
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2012, 08:57 AM
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Aug 2011
174 Posts
I'm using the Gens 2S 450's and getting 5 1/2 - 6 mins on the newer mtr with the 9" prop.
I charge right before I fly, takes 12 mins with Paraboard for 6, and leave them discharged until next time.
RFairbairn is offline Find More Posts by RFairbairn
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:17 AM
High Tech Red Neck
United States, IL, Lawrenceville
Joined Nov 2011
1,721 Posts
The instructions that came with my new charger,say's to use the storage setting (charges them up to 3.80 V per cell) any time you aren't going to use them for 2 day's or more? I've left them at 3.73V per cell,and never noticed the difference? When the battery's come in new,I noticed they are charged to 3.8 per cell though? Some guy's are running the Nano Tech battery's down to the LVC,and claim there's no problems with the battery's at all! When I got my first set (4) I was messing around with them discharging them with a in line resistor. My wife called me upstairs for something,and I left it hooked up. After about 3 hours,I remembered that I had left it hooked up,and came downstairs to check it! It read 1.3V on one cell,and the other one read .76 V! I was sure the pack was finnished,but hooked it up to the charger,and set the current at 200 mAh. It came back good as new,and has been working ever since. I can't find any difference between it and the other packs! I was also told these (Nano Tech) are lithium ion batteries,not lipo's and will take a beating,before dying. So-far they perform great! I think I'll run the pack I over discharged, down to the LVC on my plane today,and see if it effects it at all? Ron
Ron_Dog is offline Find More Posts by Ron_Dog
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Ron_Dog; Mar 10, 2012 at 12:05 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 10:39 AM
Joined Aug 2011
174 Posts
Nice Ron, Blame it on the wife!

I will say that if I go to the field with 10 charged batteries and don't use all of them (wind,crash,overly chatty observers etc....) I discharge them when I get home. Before I got the paraboards and Powerlab 8 charger I used this setup to discharge them. 1 bulb for 2S batteries, both bulbs for my bigger stuff.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:26 PM
Jim
Winchendon,MA
Joined Aug 2007
217 Posts
The paraboard is the way to go. RF: at what amp setting are you charging when you have 6 of the 2S450's on the paraboard?
Old Mar 10, 2012, 12:34 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2011
860 Posts
6 x .45A, I use a cable:
itsmillertime is offline Find More Posts by itsmillertime
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:22 PM
Joined Aug 2011
174 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoore View Post
The paraboard is the way to go. RF: at what amp setting are you charging when you have 6 of the 2S450's on the paraboard?
Depends on how big of a hurry I'm in But I usually just set it at 10amps.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:36 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,628 Posts
I charge my 450 mah Gens Ace packs at 2.5 amps (a little over 5C) and they are fine.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:00 PM
Jim
Winchendon,MA
Joined Aug 2007
217 Posts
Thanks RF and Cody. By the way, my friend Dave and I met you at WRAM, and Dave now has a Crack Yak on his workbench. We will be going to the Sportspex in Auburn for the maiden on Friday.
Old Mar 10, 2012, 09:26 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,628 Posts
Awesome! Have fun with it. The Sportsplex is a great place to fly. I went down there once early this season and had a blast. Unfortunately it's too far of a drive to do regularly.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Mar 11, 2012, 05:42 AM
High Tech Red Neck
Joined Nov 2011
1,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmillertime View Post
6 x .45A, I use a cable:
Did you make that harness? I've been looking for something like that! Ron
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Alias,a Love,Hate,Affair!
Old Mar 11, 2012, 08:55 AM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Ron, these guys carry a load of cable and board options.

http://www.progressiverc.com/adapter-cables-and-boards
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old Mar 11, 2012, 10:04 AM
High Tech Red Neck
Joined Nov 2011
1,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunyata View Post
Ron, these guys carry a load of cable and board options.

http://www.progressiverc.com/adapter-cables-and-boards
Thanks,for the link! I just ordered some charging cables,and balance cables too! Should make life easier! Ron
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Alias,a Love,Hate,Affair!
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:22 PM
Joined Aug 2011
174 Posts
EP Buddy is another good source, they have a lot of connectors/cables etc....
Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:30 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
You can mix and match, too. I have a parallel board with deans and the balance connectors. To charge the 2S bats with the JST connectors, I use a JST cable and get the balance from the para board. That way I don't need a balance cable for the JST bats.

Nice to be able to charge 6 at once.
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata