HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2012, 10:44 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,036 Posts
Works really well Ron, I have been using it for years, it enables you to make quick adjustments at the field so you can easily adjust between flights until you get it spot on. I use this method on the larger Telink models as well and when the motor mount holes permit, I use socket head servo screws as they are easier to adjust with an Allen wrench.

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2012, 12:15 PM
High Tech Red Neck
United States, IL, Lawrenceville
Joined Nov 2011
1,913 Posts
Mike,you have me thinking now! Do you think I could make some,out of this 3/32 silicone fuel tubing? I think I could cut some rings off the end of the tubing with a razor blade? Ron
Ron_Dog is online now Find More Posts by Ron_Dog
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Alias,a Love,Hate,Affair!
Old Mar 08, 2012, 12:18 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Mike is Smart!

shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old Mar 08, 2012, 12:28 PM
High Tech Red Neck
Joined Nov 2011
1,913 Posts
Yes he is! That's what's great about this forum! Everyone sharing knowledge/experience. If they had had the INTERNET years ago,it would have saved me allot of headaches! Ron
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined Jan 2000
3,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Dog View Post
Mike,you have me thinking now! Do you think I could make some,out of this 3/32 silicone fuel tubing? I think I could cut some rings off the end of the tubing with a razor blade? Ron
I'm sure you could Ron, make them a bit longer than the final gap planned between the motor and mount, so you can compress them with the screws. I'll post a couple of pictures when I get home.

Mike
Old Mar 08, 2012, 12:51 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,007 Posts
I've been doing my foamy motor mounts this way for a couple years as well, only way to go. But instead of the rubber hose I use a soft clear vinyl hose for a more positive feel. The added benefit is if you nose in it also acts as a little bit of a shock absorber to help minimize damage.
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Mar 08, 2012, 01:31 PM
High Tech Red Neck
Joined Nov 2011
1,913 Posts
Yeah,this acts like a "dampa" mount they make for glo/gas engines. This has to be one of the greatest tips,so far! Ron
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2012, 03:48 PM
Joined Jan 2000
3,036 Posts
Here's my Telink Extra Slick and Crack Yak motors on their soft mounts.

Mike
Old Mar 08, 2012, 04:53 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Great idea Mike. I've never played with thrust lines on any of my foamies and never thought I had any ill effects from it. Your method makes sense to give it a go and see what difference it can make. When I read about it I wondered about using servo grommets, looks like that's what you have on there. I think someone else mentioned it too, think it was Stark over in the Edge thread. By the way, when you said that you prefer the 1800 motor does that mean you tried the 1480 version?
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Mar 08, 2012, 05:22 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,007 Posts
The first time I saw the idea of using the hose for adjusting the thrust angle was on a manufacturers kit, but I forget the brand and model. This was a couple of years ago. Although on the Telink kits I havn't done this because it seems to stay pretty solid with the motor mount tied into the cf rods buried in the fuse.
jetinteriorguy is online now Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Mar 08, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Jan 2000
3,036 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
Great idea Mike. I've never played with thrust lines on any of my foamies and never thought I had any ill effects from it. Your method makes sense to give it a go and see what difference it can make. When I read about it I wondered about using servo grommets, looks like that's what you have on there. I think someone else mentioned it too, think it was Stark over in the Edge thread. By the way, when you said that you prefer the 1800 motor does that mean you tried the 1480 version?
Aviefly,
I started doing it on my Depron indoor models to get them trimmed out properly, or just to trim out any building errors. It also became useful to re-adjust the thrust after the noses got a few repairs.
I first saw it on a CST Katana kit that I bought, but they used pieces of the harder type of petrol fuel tubing. I just adapted it a bit using servo grommets and cap head screws. My favourites were the old style grommets which tapered almost to a point as used on MacGregor servos in the 70's. As I flew for their display team at the time, I had a lot of them - all gone now sadly.
Certainly on my Depron models, after I had found the right CofG, I found that I could improve the tracking in knife edge by playing with the thrust line.

Yes I have tried the 1480 version with the 9" prop, albeit on the Edge, while the 1800 is on my Crack Yak. I just find that the 1800 with smaller prop accelerates better and has better penetration in wind outside.

Mike
Old Mar 08, 2012, 10:25 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smart View Post

Yes I have tried the 1480 version with the 9" prop, albeit on the Edge, while the 1800 is on my Crack Yak. I just find that the 1800 with smaller prop accelerates better and has better penetration in wind outside.

Mike
Great, I install the 1500 and the longer prop and my penetration will not be as deep. Alas, the story of my life.

shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old Mar 08, 2012, 11:16 PM
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Aug 2011
174 Posts
Cool. Great idea, something new to play around with
Ron, Is that your Slick? I have that same mtr on my Edge and while the new 1800kv works well on my CY, I think I like the old one better, pretty equal pwr, but with the older mtr I'm getting about 1.5min longer flight times and I like the extended shaft so it holds the prop better/easier.

Mike, on the bigger planes like the Telink, do the grommets need to be somewhat compressed so the torque doesn't compress them and change the angle under load?
RFairbairn is offline Find More Posts by RFairbairn
Old Mar 08, 2012, 11:31 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunyata View Post
Great, I install the 1500 and the longer prop and my penetration will not be as deep. Alas, the story of my life.

And with all that torque, you may need to adjust your thrust angle...
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Mar 09, 2012, 05:07 AM
High Tech Red Neck
Joined Nov 2011
1,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RFairbairn View Post
Cool. Great idea, something new to play around with
Ron, Is that your Slick? I have that same mtr on my Edge and while the new 1800kv works well on my CY, I think I like the old one better, pretty equal pwr, but with the older mtr I'm getting about 1.5min longer flight times and I like the extended shaft so it holds the prop better/easier.

Mike, on the bigger planes like the Telink, do the grommets need to be somewhat compressed so the torque doesn't compress them and change the angle under load?
Yes it is! I too favor the lower KV motors! I find just the opposite about wind penetration.My 1500's with a bigger prop seem to "pull" much stronger in the wind,and out of a hover! Plus they help balance the plane,better! Your right about the extended motor shaft! I cut the shaft flush with the propsaver on my first 1500 motor,but now know,that was a mistake.The shaft helps keep the prop running true on the propsaver.Ron
RCG Plus Member