Don't give in to gravity
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Dec 2009
1,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan5.0 View Post
In the words of Shawn

"Edge-sick Slick-sicker Yak-sickest"

The Yak is the extreme 3D performer, where the Edge is more docile and floatier, and the Slick falls right in the middle.
Yup
Gravitycheat is offline Find More Posts by Gravitycheat
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2012, 05:30 PM
High Tech Red Neck
United States, IL, Lawrenceville
Joined Nov 2011
1,721 Posts
The V2 Slick,is a great plane,much of the same flying traits as the original,but much more ridged! The roll rate on mine is NUT'S! Ron
Ron_Dog is offline Find More Posts by Ron_Dog
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Alias,a Love,Hate,Affair!
Old Mar 07, 2012, 05:50 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Dog View Post
The V2 Slick,is a great plane,much of the same flying traits as the original,but much more ridged! The roll rate on mine is NUT'S! Ron
+1

The v1 flew great...

V2 Slick is pure awesome!

Roll rate is insane (set to 45* w/ 75% expo) but super controllable.

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Mar 07, 2012, 06:03 PM
High Tech Red Neck
Joined Nov 2011
1,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
+1

The v1 flew great...

V2 Slick is pure awesome!

Roll rate is insane (set to 45* w/ 75% expo) but super controllable.

JC
Yeah,and it flys like it's on rails! The best I can remember! This weather stinks! Ron
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2012, 07:57 PM
3D Hack
Joined Jul 2010
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Dog View Post
Yeah,and it flys like it's on rails! The best I can remember! This weather stinks! Ron
100% agreement on the "rails" - "precision flight" are the words that come to my mind. It tracks extremely well.

I can do waterfall after waterfall with v2. My v1 always kicked out to the right no matter how hard I tried to control it.

JC
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by JC Spohr; Mar 07, 2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2012, 08:36 PM
'tis nothing
United States, CA, Napa
Joined Dec 2011
941 Posts
Think it's time I played with the CG on mine. I set all ours very neutral, and I'm thinking a little more tail heavy might be worth a shot. Ya think?
shunyata is offline Find More Posts by shunyata
Old Mar 07, 2012, 09:17 PM
High Tech Red Neck
Joined Nov 2011
1,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunyata View Post
Think it's time I played with the CG on mine. I set all ours very neutral, and I'm thinking a little more tail heavy might be worth a shot. Ya think?
Never hurts to try! I've had planes that I thought flew great, to fly even better with a few adjustments. Now I can't leave them alone! LOL! I even made a copy of your smiley face prop,with a little change,since mine end up in the dirt alot! Oh NO! It's Mister Bill! Ron
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2012, 09:40 PM
3D Hack
Joined Jul 2010
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunyata View Post
It's rarely mentioned but adjusting your thrust angle may be needed. It was the final tweak that made mine groove.

I talked with Ron on the phone this evening and shared how I tested and what I adjusted. Let me know if you want a phone call (on my dime). PM me your number if you do.

JC
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2012, 12:14 AM
Don't worry be happy :)
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
It's rarely mentioned but adjusting your thrust angle may be needed. It was the final tweak that made mine groove.
.... how I tested and what I adjusted.
I've been thinking about this with the thrust angle to. Please tell us about your findings!
Stark is offline Find More Posts by Stark
Old Mar 08, 2012, 06:49 AM
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jan 2009
449 Posts
How do you adjust the thrust angle? And how will it effect the flight characteristics?
STLAV8R is offline Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Last edited by STLAV8R; Mar 08, 2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 07:30 AM
High Tech Red Neck
Joined Nov 2011
1,721 Posts
Ok,Guy's! I like to either fly the plane or set it up in a hover. Then make note if it want's to fall off,in one direction (this is in a hover). If it falls to the right,just remove the little mounting screw on the right side of the motor mount,then add a small thin washer,between the mount and the motor flange,like a spacer! Test again,and see if it's corrected. Then if the plane (in a hover again) wants to pull to the top (come towards you ) add a washer to the top mount. You should be able to get the plane very stable in a hover this way,and you have corrected the thrust line to near 0 - 0 degrees. Also when outside flying with the plane trimmed out for level flight,and then when you go inverted,it may want to climb (even after setting the C/G the best you can get it) it will need a little "up thrust" to counteract the climbing tendency,while inverted! Once you get the thrust dialed in your plane will fly alot better in all flight axis! Hope this helps! Here's a very fuzzy pic! (My camera/and or operator dosen't take clear closups!) Ron
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Ron_Dog; Mar 08, 2012 at 07:55 AM.
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:48 AM
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jan 2009
449 Posts
Thanks for the info. Ron. Very interesting... I will check mine out. John
STLAV8R is offline Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:52 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,030 Posts
If you insert a rubber servo grommet or short piece of silicon tube between the motor and the mount on the model when you install it and pass the motor screws through it, you don't need to play with washers. You simply screw in the motor screws until they just start to compress the rubber and then tighten the relevant ones some more to adjust the thrust angle. Makes a quieter mounting as well

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:55 AM
3D Hack
Joined Jul 2010
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark View Post
I've been thinking about this with the thrust angle to. Please tell us about your findings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLAV8R View Post
How do you adjust the thrust angle? And how will it effect the flight characteristics?
Ron beat me to it. See his post #1031 immediately above. And let me add....

i trimmed for upright flight first, then inverted, then knife edge, and finally in a hover. For hover trimming, get the plane to a throttle setting that will let you hand launch to hover. Then... release plane and don't touch the controls. Watch which way it falls. Do this several times - make sure you are holding it reasonably close to vertical as possible. Add a small washer under the motor flange that is in the direection of fall.

Examples: In my case, mine fell toward the left wing and also to the canopy. I added 1 washer on the left wing side motor flange screw and 1 washer on the canopy (top) motor flange screw. That's all mine needed.
bestest to see if more thrust angle change (washers) might be needed.

When you have it correct, your plane will fly perfect upright, inverted and won't as readily fall out of a hover. There will be no ballooning effect from low thottle to WOT. Note - after I trimmed for upright, inverted, and KE flight; mine would slightly climb when a took a long upright high speed pass. that said thrust angle to me.

Make sure you trim in the order above - upright, inverted, KE and hover last.

JC
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:56 AM
High Tech Red Neck
Joined Nov 2011
1,721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smart View Post
If you insert a rubber servo grommet or short piece of silicon tube between the motor and the mount on the model when you install it and pass the motor screws through it, you don't need to play with washers. You simply screw in the motor screws until they just start to compress the rubber and then tighten the relevant ones some more to adjust the thrust angle. Makes a quieter mounting as well

Mike
That's a great idea,Mike! Ron
RCG Plus Member