HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:17 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
finished my dads x-mas present and took it out for a spin, what a docile slug compared to my crack yak.

Hopefully this will help him out, so far he has been through
-two champs
-two super cubs

Both of them have had multiple crashes on them so I figured a twisted edge set up to really low rates may help him out. I'm probably going to set his high rates as the twisted low rates and low rates for him 1/2 of twisted low rates. I'm some what tempted to give him max deflection on the elevator though as he could use it as a bail out switch but I don't want him to get used to it.

But yeah this puddgy little airplane is just a marshmellow in the sky compared to the yak.
He should love it. Did you get him a tube of Welders and plenty of props for his stocking? That Edge can really grow with him. Mine has hundreds if flights in the yard and has been stuck in trees, had its nose planted in the driveway, been sliced and diced and is still kickin. Mind you on it's second motor and a couple new servos. If you want to see it reall go try 3 cell 450 packs in it (with a big enough esc that is- 12A).
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Last edited by dth7; Dec 15, 2012 at 11:34 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:48 AM
The Twisted Elf
USA, NJ, Trenton
Joined Nov 2010
453 Posts
its nice to see you helping your father,and its always nice to start with a new plane that is setup properly,good luck and hope he enjoys it
lugnutz is offline Find More Posts by lugnutz
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:18 PM
Endangered User
United States, FL, Casselberry
Joined Jul 2002
1,315 Posts
LOL! I went to the TH site to look at new toys, and I notice that my TH Slick is famous! The first three pics on the TH Slick page are of my slick, from my posting on a forum. LOL!
MattLarson29 is offline Find More Posts by MattLarson29
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:50 PM
Don't worry be happy :)
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
Well, my model are on the first two pictures at the Sbach 342 page!
Stark is offline Find More Posts by Stark
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:11 AM
Parkfly Padawan
United States, PA, Waynesburg
Joined Aug 2011
982 Posts
Question for you all.... I noticed during some recent flights that my Slick was having a bit of a rudder issue. At full deflection when giving left rudder, it was flapping really hard. Full right rudder and in-between, no problems. I adjust my endpoints way down to where the fluttering was just starting and I don't have any issues. I say "way down" but I've only lost maybe1/2" of travel or so (but I like having all the rudder I can on these planes). What do you think would cause this? A stripped gear? I guess I've had stripped gears in the past, but it was more that I noticed it in all servo travel in those cases, not just in one specific location. Thought I'd ask the experts.
JForbes is offline Find More Posts by JForbes
Old Dec 17, 2012, 10:19 AM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
Could be a stripped servo, but its best to start troubleshooting with the simple stuff. Maybe it's getting caught on one of the wooden eyelets? Best thing to do is dissconnect the servo and see how easy everything moves on its own.
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0
Old Dec 17, 2012, 02:50 PM
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Looks great.

Under the tree, it'd be even better with some red and green Christmas balls mounted beneath the wings or at the tips!

Awesome night flyer.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:09 PM
Parkfly Padawan
Joined Aug 2011
982 Posts
Thanks Dan. I guess tonight I'll break it down and see what happens.

On another note.... How do these planes handle Heat and very cold weather? I'm thinking about keeping my Slick or Pitts in my car so I can go out and fly at lunchtime at work. I know to keep the batteries and my radio with me indoors and they'll be in my pockets before and after flying, but how does the EPP and everything else do? Should I have any concerns there? I just really want to fly and it gets dark before I get home from work.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:25 PM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
The foam may become easier to tear when the temps hit low 30s...but it's the lipos that pose the biggest threat. If the lipos are left in a cold car then flight times could be greatly reduced.
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0
Old Dec 17, 2012, 03:40 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,442 Posts
I've flown mine in under 40 degree weather about the only thing to worry about like Dan said is reduced flight time. Also the props might be more prone to breakage. Watch out for numb thumb too, wear gloves!
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:31 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,541 Posts
@stgdz, that Edge is a great plane. Mine has more flights than I can count and its still flying. A little heavier now from all the Welders but still a great flying plane. My flying skills just got better with each flight. Tried difficult and trickier stunts because of it. He'll love it.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
Old Dec 18, 2012, 08:33 AM
Parkfly Padawan
Joined Aug 2011
982 Posts
I'm full of questions this week.... lol... My next question for my fellow flyers... Since I know most if not all of you have "several" planes... what is your method for keeping track of your batteries? I know for my 32" planes I have about 20 lipos. I have just recently decided to number them and I have started a log book as well with flight times of all my batteries/planes/heli's, etc... I keep my lipos in a tackle box-like organizer... I was just wondering what others do....
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:11 AM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Mine have been numbered from the start. And I run them from say, 1 - 9 (or whatever number I get to), then the next time I run them from 9 - 1 (whatever number I get to).
That's a good idea about the log. I think I'll start that when I get new ones. Anyone know of a good iphone app for logging?
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:16 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3flyguy3 View Post
Mine have been numbered from the start. And I run them from say, 1 - 9 (or whatever number I get to), then the next time I run them from 9 - 1 (whatever number I get to).
That's a good idea about the log. I think I'll start that when I get new ones. Anyone know of a good iphone app for logging?
I can't remember the name of the app but there is one(at least for androids)to log your flights. You could list all your planes and batteries and keep track of # of flights and total flight time
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Old Dec 18, 2012, 09:18 AM
Parkfly Padawan
Joined Aug 2011
982 Posts
The log idea was actually more to track my flying time as a whole, flights/time per plane, etc... I just added the batteries on there so I can see how they hold up. If they get crashed hard, that gets noted. If there is a problem or if the battery doesn't last as long as expected during a flight, that gets noted. Otherwise, I just keep a tally of how many times I charge it. I fly by a timer on my radio, so all of batteries get the same flight time as all of my flying is about the same, and I keep the time low enough I don't worry about LVC or anything. My friends brother has kept a log of all of his flights and all of his data since he started flying and this past summer he just went over his 10,000th flight. That's pretty impressive! When you take into consideration the speed of the aircraft you fly, and try to figure up how many miles you're flying, it's pretty neat.