SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:29 PM
AMA 1034020
United States, AL, Alexander City
Joined Jul 2011
140 Posts
cwojcik

What's the electronic setup being used in the MCY?
ATCH is offline Find More Posts by ATCH
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:51 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwojcik View Post
There is no reason to smear glue over the whole hinge line. Just put a dab at the ends to keep it from tearing, preferably with a piece of blenderm over it.

In other news, I just got back from an afternoon indoors flying the Crack Yak mini. This thing is an absolute blast. It's quicker, snappier, rolls faster, and has more power than the standard Crack Yak, and the smaller size means it eats up less airspace so you can do high-speed maneuvers easier in a smaller space. It's also incredibly stable and smooth for a small airplane. I think it's my favorite in the Crack Yak series!
Sounds good Cody. How about slower speeds? Probably doesn't float as good at the larger ones. Ready for more info as it becomes available.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:11 PM
Extremely Twisted
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,650 Posts
Actually it's very stable at lower speeds. Yes it has gotten smaller, but much lighter as well.

The motor is a combination motor and ESC in one unit. Servos are ~3 gram on the tail, 4 gram on the ailerons. Battery is a 2S 180-250, 250 gets a good five minutes of hard flying easily.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:45 PM
Extremely Twisted
Joined Oct 2005
2,650 Posts
Quick teaser for you guys!
Crack Yak Mini Teaser (0 min 55 sec)
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:48 PM
Justin S
United States, NC, Mt Holly
Joined Nov 2010
154 Posts
Quote:
Wow...that's a wild child.
justinsebastian is offline Find More Posts by justinsebastian
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:48 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Chris and Cody,

Is there a flying area size that aimed for with the mini? Is it a two car or one car garage plane?
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:49 PM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,791 Posts
Quote:
.....Battery is a 2S 180-250, 250 gets a good five minutes of hard flying easily.
Looks gorgeous!

What type discharge plug? JST?

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:59 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
O man that thing looks amazing. Good work cafeteria flyer. Cannot wait for this one.
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:04 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,442 Posts
That sealed the deal for me. Got it on my to get list for sure.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:04 PM
Extremely Twisted
Joined Oct 2005
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
Chris and Cody,

Is there a flying area size that aimed for with the mini? Is it a two car or one car garage plane?
We didn't really aim for a flying size. We wanted to build the smallest plane we could, keep the performance good, the build easy, and the parts accessible. The UMX Crack Yak I built was pretty good, but needed a bit more power, and it was difficult to build light enough. So, we settled on a 22" span 2S brushless outline. The result is a plane with all of the character of the Crack Yak but for a smaller space and higher energy flying. You could fly it in a 2 car garage if it's big enough, but the thing is really at home in a standard basketball court like you see in the video, which is a bit tight for most 32" planes. There is enough room to stretch its legs before the walls come up and you can keep it on the wing instead of just in a harrier/hover the whole time. It takes up a bit more space than a UMX Extra 300 or 4-site, but it flies much better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
Looks gorgeous!

What type discharge plug? JST?

Yes, standard servo plugs as well. No special receivers or equipment necessary!
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:06 PM
3d addict
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2011
1,038 Posts
Ok so the next question becomes when can we place an order?
Aaeolien is offline Find More Posts by Aaeolien
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:12 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,442 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaeolien View Post
When I have my bench cleared I hope. Hell who am I kidding I'll clear the bench for it.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:15 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Ok I'll take one of each color and flying instructions as seen in the video.
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:23 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazePilot View Post
Sounds good Cody. How about slower speeds? Probably doesn't float as good at the larger ones. Ready for more info as it becomes available.
This plane is very similar to the way the original CY flies. The very first production proto of the VY was 29" and not 31". The MIni flies almost exactly like the 29" did. I think the design of the airframe is extremely well suited to the wing loading of the Mini!

If you Like your CY original on 3S, then you will love the Mini! More power, more crazy, smaller package. I love this little plane. It is currently my favorite of all the existing Crack planes.

Quote:
Awesome work man! I think that was just enough of a teaser to get Brad motivated to push the release date!

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinsebastian View Post
Wow...that's a wild child.
This airplane is a high energy machine! But don't let the potential craziness scare you. Just like the original CY, it is very docile and easy to fly when you want it to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
Chris and Cody,

Not by design. Like Cody said, it was about what we could shrink it to without getting into equipment that was inefficient for the job. As a result, this mini will take about half the space to fly as the original CY.

Quote:
O man that thing looks amazing. Good work cafeteria flyer. Cannot wait for this one.
Cafeteria, office, garage, back yard. It's small enough that you don't need a gym. But, a gym is nice and roomy for the mini.

Quote:
Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazePilot View Post
When I have my bench cleared I hope. Hell who am I kidding I'll clear the bench for it.
You will not regret this plane! I guarantee it.
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:19 PM
Knobbs
Friday Harbor, WA -San Juan Island
Joined Aug 2008
478 Posts
Quote:
There is no reason to smear glue over the whole hinge line. Just put a dab at the ends to keep it from tearing, preferably with a piece of blenderm over it.

In other news, I just got back from an afternoon indoors flying the Crack Yak mini. This thing is an absolute blast. It's quicker, snappier, rolls faster, and has more power than the standard Crack Yak, and the smaller size means it eats up less airspace so you can do high-speed maneuvers easier in a smaller space. It's also incredibly stable and smooth for a small airplane. I think it's my favorite in the Crack Yak series!
Wish I would have known that about the glue. This was my first EPP plane, only had depron before. Was just doing what the build video showed on TH site. Live and learn.

Rishelman
Rishelman is offline Find More Posts by Rishelman