Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:25 PM
TEAM TWISTED
United States, MD, Middle River
Joined Dec 2011
950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumb Blisters View Post
Thought I would be able to use my charger for the batteries but they don't fit. Any opinions on a good yet cheap charger for the 2s twisted hobby batteries?
You definitely want to balance charge them. I know they are jst output but if they are a regular type, and not Thunder Power, style balance plug you may consider:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=7028
ROLLING CIRCLE is offline Find More Posts by ROLLING CIRCLE
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3dhs fly low in east
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 09:29 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLING CIRCLE View Post
You definitely want to balance charge them. I know they are jst output but if they are a regular type, and not Thunder Power, style balance plug you may consider:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idproduct=7028
This is the charger I have. Love it. There are alot but it all comes down to budget.

Tom

http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-ac680-accharger.html

Parallel board:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Best-Paralle...item5895446a3b
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:06 AM
United States, OH, Youngstown
Joined Apr 2011
317 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobar View Post
Hey guys I have a question that is not intended to offend, it's just one of those need to know philosophical and possible life changing inquiries. If you don't own a gymnasium or don't have private property that has no wind, then why are these micro/UMX/ planes so popular? Now that they come with the gyro's they fly great outdoors but what about all of the pre-gyro fliers? Do people buy long bed trucks with tall camper shells and fly in them? Do they construct those large revival tents and fly in them? I try to fly my 32"edge 540 in the wind and it simply blows away, and it is heavier than the UMX models.
One of the biggest reasons that the micro/UMX’s are so popular is the price!! They are ready to fly and have a very nice appearance for a small price. Replacement parts are cheap and every Hobby Town and mom and pop shop carry them. Also people are attracted to small/micro things. I think that they are less intimidating to new people.
They weigh less then you TH 540 but a lot of them punch through the wind better because of the size and wing loading.
3171scott is offline Find More Posts by 3171scott
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:34 AM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
This is the charger I have. Love it. There are alot but it all comes down to budget.

Tom

Parallel board:

you can go wrong with that thunder ac680 from hobbypartz. have mine for one year with no problems.
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:37 AM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
finally had my first dumb thumb moment with my TH edge. think the rudder servo crapped out on me, my fault. i can get full throw to the left but not the right. there seems to be alil binding on the control rod for the rudder. its bending and twisting between the guides quite abit. i cant remember that being normal, but like i said i cant remember. my elevator doesnt doesnt do that. anybody got any suggestions?
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:06 AM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
Could have some glue or a bur on the CF rod guide which may not be allowing it to pass through the wooden eyelet cleanly.
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:08 AM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
Try disconnecting the control rod from the servo and see how easily it passes through the eyelet.
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:41 AM
Don't worry be happy :)
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
Use appropriate lubrication, like litium grease or a dry lubricant to reduce the friction in the guide posts. I did that on my three TH planes and it has worked well. Also if the pushrod guide is slightly angled the rod can get stuck.
Stark is offline Find More Posts by Stark
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:39 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Sometimes on these planes following the push rod guide pins can make for binding as they dont line up right check for this and make sure the rod is on a direct path to the sevo horn sometimes the stock cuts for the guide pins can be hit and miss.
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:58 PM
AMA 1034020
United States, AL, Alexander City
Joined Jul 2011
140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crobar View Post
Hey guys I have a question that is not intended to offend, it's just one of those need to know philosophical and possible life changing inquiries. If you don't own a gymnasium or don't have private property that has no wind, then why are these micro/UMX/ planes so popular? Now that they come with the gyro's they fly great outdoors but what about all of the pre-gyro fliers? Do people buy long bed trucks with tall camper shells and fly in them? Do they construct those large revival tents and fly in them? I try to fly my 32"edge 540 in the wind and it simply blows away, and it is heavier than the UMX models.
From the break of dawn till around 9am or so there is no wind around here. After 9 it start's to pickup. Then about 2 hr's before dark it dies down. I dont know if it's that way in your erea? But with a window like that theree's plenty of time for flying micro's.
ATCH is offline Find More Posts by ATCH
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:18 PM
Back in the hobby- ALL in!
United States, NH, Greenland
Joined Feb 2012
982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post

Tom

Parallel board:
+ 1- the 680 has worked great for me with 2-6 cells and parallel boards and cords from progressive RC. I bought another one and the boards also. I can do 12 batts in an hour at a conservative 1 C charge rate. Well worth it.
dth7 is offline Find More Posts by dth7
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:38 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan5.0 View Post
Try disconnecting the control rod from the servo and see how easily it passes through the eyelet.
yea i did that. went smooth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stark View Post
Use appropriate lubrication, like litium grease or a dry lubricant to reduce the friction in the guide posts. I did that on my three TH planes and it has worked well. Also if the pushrod guide is slightly angled the rod can get stuck.
ill have to try that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris... View Post
Sometimes on these planes following the push rod guide pins can make for binding as they dont line up right check for this and make sure the rod is on a direct path to the sevo horn sometimes the stock cuts for the guide pins can be hit and miss.
now thats part of the problem i think. i made a homemade control horn for the rudder that seems to work decent thought maybe i got too much glue on the hinge area. i removed the glue helped alil . lol also today i fray'd the end of control rod make it unusable, too short. i have ordered a spare parts kit. but to get me flyin this evening , stopped by local flower(no LHS here) and got a piece of wire they use to tie up flower arrangements. it worked, didnt have full throws either way was like being on medium rates. but i was able to still fly.

think when i get the spare parts thursday im gonna move the control rod guides to be more in line like the elevator. and see if that helps. rudder never worked like i thought i should have. especially right rudder.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:53 PM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
today i fray'd the end of control rod make it unusable, too short. i have ordered a spare parts kit.
I'm not sure that the carbon rods come in the spare parts kit you'd better check that.

If not it's just 1mm carbon as far as I can tell
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:52 PM
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
i emailed brad, he said they did. so hopefully. i dont have a local hobby shop so i cant go and get some. my hood is the woods.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:03 AM
Canada, BC, Victoria
Joined Feb 2008
617 Posts
Watt Test Numbers

I posted this in the Crack Yak thread, but figured there may be others trying to decide on motor setups and this would help.

Well just placed my order for the Crack Yak gold, 26g motor, CS90D digital 9g servo, etc. Can't wait!!!

For those interested, here are some watt numbers (same prop swapped, same pack swapped) comparing a brand new 26g Twisted motor on my buddies Pitts, vs the Turnigy 2730 on my Leadfeather 3D EPP Yak 55. Testing done on almost new (2 cycles) Gens Ace 450mAh 3s.

Turnigy 2730-1500kv:
8x4DD
10.61a
10.59v
112.7w

Turnigy 2730-1500kv:
8x4.3SF
12.39a
10.29v
128.1w

26g Twisted Hobby 1450kv:
8x4.3SF
13.87a
10.16v
141.6w

Went to test the 8x4DD on the 26g but the prop adapter oring broke and sent her sailing! Lol. That 26g is impressive. Didnt have my tach there for rpm but I'm almost positive it's a little higher kv than listed. Both have insane ballistic over-the-top power on 3s, and are great on the 9x4.7SF 2s indoor setup. You won't go wrong with either motor.

Twisted Hobbys Crack Yak LITE vs Crack Pitts RC Airplane 3D Flying (5 min 17 sec)
Eganwp is offline Find More Posts by Eganwp