Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:31 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JForbes View Post
I just like the price of them, and for foamies that aren't going to be very far away from me in a range perspective, they seem like a quite attractive choice. Especially compared to a 30-50 dollar receiver. I know the whole (get what you pay for) saying... but just wondered.
Ah...my bad....I misread your original question!

I thought you were talking about the HK orange stabilizer.

(Re the case's weight, the same answer probably applies: IMO it's not very meaningful for the 32" and larger TH birds. But maybe it is -- if you're really going skinny on a CYL? Or that micro CY we're all waiting for??? )

Sorry to have dragged-in the stabilization talk, which doesn't apply to your question.

And, I agree with you that the orange rx is a good buy. There's a similar receiver (caseless!) from Value Hobby for about $9. Very light - 4 grams. http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...iver-2343.html

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:35 AM
Parkfly Padawan
United States, PA, Waynesburg
Joined Aug 2011
921 Posts
No worries. Being we're all TH fliers, I like to share information with other flyers that share the same great taste in planes. Thanks for the info!
JForbes is online now Find More Posts by JForbes
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:22 AM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pugsam View Post
And, I agree with you that the orange rx is a good buy. There's a similar receiver (caseless!) from Value Hobby for about $9. Very light - 4 grams. http://www.valuehobby.com/radio-syst...iver-2343.html

How is that receiver? I was tempted to get it. Value is near me but I didn't want to take the trip down for a few if they weren't as good or better than the orange rx.
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:54 AM
LiPo-Sucker & Airframe EMT
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Joined Aug 2010
3,480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3flyguy3 View Post
How is that receiver? I was tempted to get it. Value is near me but I didn't want to take the trip down for a few if they weren't as good or better than the orange rx.
I'm no rocket scientist, but IMHO they're fine.

My squadron has a couple in use.

So-far, so-good.........

pugsam is online now Find More Posts by pugsam
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:57 AM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3flyguy3 View Post
I have a couple in use for about 10-11 months - no problems ever.

I just ordered two more yesterday.

That should say it all.

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Nov 12, 2012, 02:45 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,332 Posts
That value rx looks pretty nice, I've got quite a few of the orange rxs left from my last hk order. Shame I didn't know about the value ones before I got the others.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Nov 12, 2012, 03:34 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazePilot View Post
That value rx looks pretty nice, I've got quite a few of the orange rxs left from my last hk order. Shame I didn't know about the value ones before I got the others.
I use a Turnigy9x V2 TX and the mini rx,s for it are like $8 i have the bigger ones in my bigger planes and never had any problems at all,get so far out with my gliders i need binoculars lol
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:54 AM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,332 Posts
Yeah, I haven't had any trouble with orange receivers. Got a bunch of the 4 and 6ch receivers when I got into foamies. Figured it wasn't worth getting the more expensive ones for planes that cost less than one servo to build. Now it's time to upgrade transmitters, got the DX8 coming.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:57 AM
Parkfly Padawan
Joined Aug 2011
921 Posts
Cool. Glad to hear you like the orange rx's. I've only had my Dx8 for about two weeks, but I love it! It's far and above my Futaba 6j.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 09:58 AM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,415 Posts
I've been looking at the DX8. Would love to hear you take on how it does. I'm using the DX6i. I have two of them and I've been really happy with them. They're complicated but not too much that an old guy like me figure it out. Well I'm still learning some of its functions. Youtube has been a great help.

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: T-38 Talon
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:01 AM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,332 Posts
The times sure have changed from the last time I had an aircraft radio. Still have that midwest sweetstick and 7ch gold fatuba radio. Maybe I'll finish building it.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:03 AM
Parkfly Padawan
Joined Aug 2011
921 Posts
I really like the dx8. For the most part, I thought it was all pretty easy to figure out. I think the menu's are easier to navigate than my Futaba was. Some things I had to break out the book for, but for the most part, sitting on my couch an hour or two an evening just playing around with it for a few days was all it took. It has several features my old radio did not, or had but were too dificult to use, that makes this transmitter well worth it for me. Plus, for me, it has a great feel in my hands.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:10 AM
Germany, RP, KL
Joined Aug 2012
100 Posts
A Tie die twisted into a rainbow color hole with a TH plane flying out!!! Sweet
jasonille is online now Find More Posts by jasonille
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:35 AM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,332 Posts
Sounds good J, yeah the DX8 felt better to me than the DX6i. I like the backlit menu, one of the things I didn't like about the DX6i was the menu being hard to read. Better model storage and features has it on my short list of items to get. I'll keep the 6 for my micros and bashing planes.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 10:19 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,687 Posts
3D Buster in the News!!

Not sure how many of you seen the Jan. 2013 Electric Flight magazine yet, came out a couple weeks ago. The Buster was featured in one of the Articles. Inspired me to make the necessary repairs on mine (as a result of a radio lock out) and get it back in the air. One of my all time favorites.
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee