HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 16, 2012, 07:22 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,293 Posts
well there is a bit more to putting this foam together than i first thought I got it to the point of two servos in,bottom half glued on,tail glued on,controls for ailerons glued in and hooked to servo horn, ill get back to it tomorrow
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:04 AM
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Jul 2012
171 Posts
i just took my time build my 540 since it was my first 3d plane. was not sure how it went together since nether owned 1 b4, but now looking back it was simple to build streight forwaed. great plane.and very forgiving when hitting the deck
deadbolt1970 is offline Find More Posts by deadbolt1970
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:08 AM
Parkfly Padawan
United States, PA, Waynesburg
Joined Aug 2011
951 Posts
Lookin good Fastfwd
JForbes is offline Find More Posts by JForbes
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:10 AM
Joined Mar 2012
3,293 Posts
my problem is when i start something its hard to stop until its done Took up oil painting many years ago and would stay up all night and day until it was finished ! Put in a new motor in wifes car once,worked on it for two and a half days straight through LOL .So this plane im having a hard time backing off it
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:49 AM
Parkfly Padawan
Joined Aug 2011
951 Posts
I completely understand. My planes are the same way. I had to force myself to do something else to give the Welders time to dry at certain stages. I ended up watching tv and just looking at it every once in a while... I just couldn't leave it alone. I guess that's what makes us a breed of all our own. lol
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:33 PM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
my problem is when i start something its hard to stop until its done Took up oil painting many years ago and would stay up all night and day until it was finished ! Put in a new motor in wifes car once,worked on it for two and a half days straight through LOL .So this plane im having a hard time backing off it
Quote:
Originally Posted by JForbes View Post
I completely understand. My planes are the same way. I had to force myself to do something else to give the Welders time to dry at certain stages. I ended up watching tv and just looking at it every once in a while... I just couldn't leave it alone. I guess that's what makes us a breed of all our own. lol
Hehe this is what you call passion with maybe a little OCD thrown in for good measure
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:43 PM
Parkfly Padawan
Joined Aug 2011
951 Posts
ha... Touche!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:35 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,293 Posts
ok she is ready to go ! But i need a little help on just how this prop goes on ? there are two small screws ,(i guess for the prop saver rubbers ?) do they come off,then prop goes on then screws go back in ? Also i have two allen head threaded studs what are they for ?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:43 PM
Parkfly Padawan
Joined Aug 2011
951 Posts
I believe the threaded studs can take the place of the screws if you so choose. I'd leave the screws on. It keeps the prop saver on a little better.

What you want to do (I'm guessing you're using the black o-ring prop saver?) Is hold the plane nose up and set the prop on the motor. It should set on the hub nicely. Now loop the o-ring over one screw head. You'll now want to stretch it up and over the center of the prop and then secure it over the screw head on the other side. This is a little tricky, especially with a heavy duty o-ring. Some, including myself, use latex tubing that you can purchase at Lowes. I use a very small phillips head screwdriver to kind of stretch it over the prop and slide it down under the oppossite screw head. I'm sure there is a youtube video for it if you need it.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:44 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,909 Posts
Quote:
ok she is ready to go ! But i need a little help on just how this prop goes on ? there are two small screws ,(i guess for the prop saver rubbers ?) do they come off,then prop goes on then screws go back in ? Also i have two allen head threaded studs what are they for ?
Leave the two screws that are sticking out as they are.

Put prop on the front of motor.

Put o-ring over one screw and pull it over the front of prop.

Put the o-ring under the other screw.

The two set screws are not used in this application.

JC
ps - if you are using the light o-rings, then you need to use at least two of them. Three when you are able to go totally wild and wring it out.
JC Spohr is online now Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:45 PM
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2008
4,233 Posts
Hopefully this help Name: Prop saver.JPG
Views: 26
Size: 7.0 KB
Description:
Twisted Realm is offline Find More Posts by Twisted Realm
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:55 PM
Joined Mar 2012
3,293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Spohr View Post
Leave the two screws that are sticking out as they are.

Put prop on the front of motor.

Put o-ring over one screw and pull it over the front of prop.

Put the o-ring under the other screw.

The two set screws are not used in this application.

JC
ps - if you are using the light o-rings, then you need to use at least two of them. Three when you are able to go totally wild and wring it out.
sweet i did it just like that and used the one ring that came with prop, it flew off across the room, (I have lettering facing out ?)but i have heavy duty ones i ordered, so used the small one and one heavy duty one seems to be fine now the wind it is a blowing,so going to a church basketball court to test. Also i was amazed when the pitts came in the mail today ! Fastest shipping i ever saw ! I notice the throws on control surfaces are just outrageous. Do you guys use any expo/DR or endpoints to calm it down to start with ?
Last edited by fastfwd; Oct 17, 2012 at 04:09 PM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 04:07 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
sweet i did it just like that and used the one ring that came with prop, it flew off across the room,
The props saver that comes with the motor is the wrong size you need to buy your own to get a good fit.
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Oct 18, 2012, 04:24 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JForbes View Post
I use a very small phillips head screwdriver to kind of stretch it over the prop and slide it down under the oppossite screw head. I'm sure there is a youtube video for it if you need it.
The best tool I've found for doing this is a small crochet hook. I got a pack of two from one of the craft stores for <$1.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:18 AM
I am ready for HHAEFI!!
United States, GA, Cochran
Joined Apr 2004
6,573 Posts
Add me to the club.
powerlines is offline Find More Posts by powerlines