HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:33 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
Does the DX6i have a servo display screen? just thinking you might somehow have some sort of throttle cut programmed that you didn't know about.
Checked that. It's INH (inhibited, not active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamikazePilot View Post
This is pretty strange, I agree with Avie on starting on a new model memory. It's a long shot but you never know.
Set a new model. Same issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
Which motor is it? if it's the X Series 1800kv they are very free turning compared to most. The Crack Series feels a little coggier (if there was such a word)
It's the Crack Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
I had a problem like that and I went into the reverse settings and reversed the throttle and then reversed it again back to normal. We are fishing here are we not. It worked for me, not sure why.

Tom
I'll try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
Back when I suffered with the DX6i I had this happen to me once and I just started a whole new model with the same settings and it worked fine and I deleted the old model, really weird. I got rid of it a while ago and got the Aurora A-9 and not had a single problem in the three years since, really love the A-9. On another note, check the solder joints on the motor/esc wires. It may just be a coincidence that a cold solder joint just happened to show up at this time and has nothing to do with the receiver swap. I would resolder all of the connector's on both the motor and esc just to be sure. By the way, just picking on you about the DX6i, but the weird behavior with the model not responding really did happen to me once.
Trying to figure out how to delete a model now. I'll also check the solder joints.
3flyguy3 is offline Find More Posts by 3flyguy3
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:54 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Deleted the model and created a new model in a different "slot". Same issue. All servo movement, but the esc does not arm. No beeps or anything.

In order to check the solder joints must I cut back the heat shrink or is it sufficient to give a slight tug on the connectors?
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:11 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,346 Posts
I know this might be a stupid long shot, but worth a look. Check to see if the esc is plugged in with the same wire output as the servos. The signal wire being the same as the others that is.

Just checked one of my models to see if that might be it nope. Though I would check the signal wire for the esc to see if it is loose. I feel for ya trying to sort this out man. Hopefully you figure it out.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Last edited by KamikazePilot; Oct 02, 2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: More info
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:03 PM
United States, IL
Joined Apr 2012
1,393 Posts
Yep. I did check to make sure the esc was plugged in the right way. Even tried reversing it.
So am I left to buy a new motor/esc? Am I down to that being my last resort?
Old Oct 03, 2012, 04:32 AM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
4,970 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3flyguy3 View Post
Deleted the model and created a new model in a different "slot". Same issue. All servo movement, but the esc does not arm. No beeps or anything.

In order to check the solder joints must I cut back the heat shrink or is it sufficient to give a slight tug on the connectors?
Yeah, just remove the heat shrink, then just drill a shallow hole the size of the connector in a small wood block, insert the connector in the hole to hold it and reheat the solder joint to remelt the solder to make sure you have good connection. Then just put some new heat shrink on and see what happens. Good luck man, if this dosn't work it's either the motor or most like the esc. At this point if possible just substitute a different motor first as a test, then a different esc and see what happens.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:48 AM
Joined Sep 2005
69 Posts
replacing servos in a yak - possible?

hi all
just finished yak (first twisted model I have owned). I went for the budget servo option which I am starting to regret and I haven't even flown it yet!
the rudder servo movement seems very jittery which is bound to have an effect in flight. added to that any slight knock of the plane in transit feels like it could bust a servo.
I asked on the other thread about top spec servos and the futaba 3154 and jr188 were mentioned. I don't mind spending the money on servos as long as I move them to any future epp planes. question is can I replace the cheapie ones currently in my yak?
they appear to be well and truly buried in the airframe so I doubt it's something many people do but thought I'd ask!
Cheers
Chris Corbett is offline Find More Posts by Chris Corbett
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:30 AM
United States, MO, St Louis
Joined Jan 2009
451 Posts
I have set several 30"/32" TH foamies up with a Futaba 3154 on the ailerons and JR 188's on the rudder/elevator. All are very precise servos. Great resolution/centering. And the JR 188's are blazing fast! So far they have all been bullet proof. And I fly the planes hard.
I wrap the servos in green or blue painters tape. Makes it a lot easier to remove them if you need to. And preserves the outside of the servo case (no glue gets on the case).
STLAV8R is offline Find More Posts by STLAV8R
Old Oct 03, 2012, 06:49 AM
Don't worry be happy :)
Joined Sep 2001
642 Posts
I've changed my rudder servo. It was surprisingly easy despite using a lot of glue. Epp is very flexible so used a sharp knife at the sides of the servo and then basically just bend the fuselage so the servo got free.
Stark is offline Find More Posts by Stark
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:04 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Yep changing a servo isn't as bas as you'd think it would be. I don't even bother wrapping them in tape. I use UHU Por and it comes off the servo not too bad, just sort of rolls off with a good rub. I imagine welders would do the same.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:25 AM
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Oh and the other thing is the servo's really don't need much glue to hold them in place.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:03 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Also if you wrap the servo in masking tape before glueing it in when it come you to removing the servo for another airframe you just peel off the masking tape with the glue attached and your servo will look like new
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:16 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris... View Post
Also if you wrap the servo in masking tape before glueing it in when it come you to removing the servo for another airframe you just peel off the masking tape with the glue attached and your servo will look like new
As Aviefly says if you use UHU Por, you don't need masking tape, it just rubs off with your thumb, the servo still looks like new and you don't need to get the residue of the masking tape adhesive off either
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:25 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Smart View Post
As Aviefly says if you use UHU Por, you don't need masking tape, it just rubs off with your thumb, the servo still looks like new and you don't need to get the residue of the masking tape adhesive off either
I agree forget what i said it doesn't apply here .
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:55 AM
Twisted Do Nut!
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,346 Posts
Never thought of using por for the servos, thanks for the tip guys. Been doing the masking tape with hot glue method till now.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:58 AM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,909 Posts
I have been using Beacon's "Foam-Tac" lately and really like it. Very much like Uhu Por is my understanding. Made and sold in the USA.

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me